Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Oil-from-life challenge, Jan. 2019: optional "white" theme!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Grotius

Happy New Year! Let’s paint from life! As always, feel free to post whatever you like — landscapes, portraits, figures, still lifes, whatever — so long as your work is painted primarily from life. This month we’re suggesting a “white” optional theme — white snow, white tablecloths, white garments, white hair, white mountains, whatever! As always, the theme is just a suggestion; post whatever you like. Four guidelines:

1. Please paint primarily from life — not from photographs or imagination. It’s okay to post finished studio works based on studies from life; in that case, please post the original study as well as the finished work.

2. Please submit something created either last month or this month, not something you’ve done in the more distant past.

3. Please paint in oils. That said, please feel free to post studies in any other medium, so long as you also post your oil painting(s).

4. Please list the size of your painting and support. E.g., ‘”8×10″, oil on panel.’

Optional: Tell us the title of your painting!

—————–

Unfinished works, studies, and outright failures are all welcome. There’s no requirement that you invite comment & critique. If you’d rather post without being critiqued, just say so; that’s fine by me!

You can find older oil-from-life threads in the “hall of fame” sub-forum of the Oil Painting forum.

I hope you’ll all consider posting a painting or two! Thanks.

- Geoff.
        My website and blog: https://www.geoffwatsonart.com/

AllisonR

I haven’t joined one of these threads in forever.

still life painting from life – with the exception of the image inside the ipad which is from a photo.
            40 x 65 cm oil on canvas, no title yet
            The idea is to work on the contrast of dark objects versus the brightness coming from the ipad.
            So far a grisaille layer, although I used warm and cool tones for the individual objects, the first color layer will probably be less colorful, and definitely darker. The photo area has first color layer.

here is my setup

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
            Grotius

Hi Allison,

Great to hear from you! That’s a really neat painting. The composition is engaging, and the drawing is spot-on. It’s also progressed well past the grisaille stage. How much time would you say you’ve spent on it so far? Also, I’m curious about the background — an issue I struggle with when doing still lifes. Will you try to indicate the table edge at all, or is it more effective to go with a single background, rather like a portrait background?

Once again, I’m glad you posted with us again! Please keep us up to date on the progress of this and your other work.

- Geoff.

ronsu18

AllisonR, i love the idea of an ipad’s glow landing on a book& a camera. it’s not the water lilies is it? do you see the background as dark as “the old masters’ “? it looks really good, looking forward to more!

C&C welcome

AllisonR

I hope more people will post their work here.

Grotious – I’m going for a single background color, the actual background adds nothing helpful to the scene. I’ve spent about 40 hours, including all time for setup and drawing as well as painting.

ronsu18 it’s not Monet’s, although I plan on doing more of the same theme (light from ipad, monitor, phone…) with master copies as well as photos. So it would be a painting of a photo of a painting.

Here’s the drawing, and the 1st color layer. Sorry about all the glare and blurriness in the photo. Will post a better photo when I am further along.

Grotius

Thanks for sharing your drawing. I love seeing people’s drawings! For example, I enjoyed seeing the construction lines on the arc forming the pages of the book. Did you draw it directly on the canvas with charcoal, or on a separate paper first?

We usually do get quite a few contributors to this thread; I find people tend to mosey in after a week or so. I’m usually one of the biggest contributors, but I’m working on a commission from a client’s photo reference, so I’ve got no oil-from-life to show right now. I may take a day off and paint a still life just to get back in the groove.

- Geoff.

ronsu18

way too cold for outdoors. thinking of you, hope everyone’s defrosting and well! slow going here on this thread but it’s a funny month, isn’t it. feels like mountains of energy going nowhere.
                                AllisonR, eagerly awaiting more progress! i really appreciate the drawing, too.
                                Grotius, glad to hear you’re hired and expecting just enough challenge and fun in your work!

let’s call this a WIP. i’d like to glaze the white on but didn’t use drying medium. maybe paint edges& detail tomorrow and glaze in a month.
                                n e v e r paint white at south window an hour before sundown!

WIP “candy cubes” 21x14cm

[ATTACH]863015[/ATTACH]

cobalt, perm madder, perm red medium, naple’s, malachite g, payne’s.

C&C welcome

Grotius

Ronsu, thanks for bringing the thread back to life! That’s a very fun piece. I bet you had a great time painting the sides of the various cubes. Inspiring idea! I’m gonna look for a bunch of cubes to paint too. :)

My life class has finally resumed after a too-long break. I was definitely rusty! But I came up with something credible in the 90 minutes we had to paint. Also, this model chose to pose right up against a white wall, which gave me a chance to paint an actual background instead of a vague grey nothingness. “Mallina at the Wall,” oil on panel, about 8″ x 14.”

- Geoff.

ronsu18

😀
                                        so glad to see your figures again! i love that she’s leaning, the contact with the wall defines and builds this world, together with the comp. you’ve created a strong mood. i’m playing “count the strokes” forward with this, good exercise and easy because it’s so far advanced for 90min.

the painting the cubes was a pain due to changing color scheme from icy sky blue to deep plum. painting from right, every time i got to far left, the values and color had transformed. planning porcelain on white under electric lighting next.
                                        oh so surprisingly, it’s snowing and the temperature is plummeting. so, no painting just shovelling 😝.

C&C welcome

AllisonR

😀
                                            oh so surprisingly, it’s snowing and the temperature is plummeting. so, no painting just shovelling 😝.

My husband is out right now shovelling snow. Glad to see others finally posting!
                                            Geoff I really like the atmosphere you have created with the model.

Finally finished the 2nd color layer. The blacks are more varied in temperature and more subtle in values than the photo shows – mainly due to sink-in and glare.

Grotius

Allison, I really enjoy that painting, and I especially love the book. The warm colors make me feel like reading that book by the fireside. And the cooler darker shadows in the book are just the right value and temperature, and they have interesting variations in them. Bravo!

I too am happy to see some more posts here! If I recall correctly, last January was also a slow month for this thread. A lot of us plein-air types are shuttered indoors.

Thanks to ronsu and Allison for your comments on my figure study. I had another life class today, and today I did a more traditional head-and-shoulders study — the first session of a two-session pose. Mostly I just worked on getting the drawing right, without attending much to color; this is close to a brunaille or underpainting. It’s also close to a likeness, but the model is younger than I’ve made her appear. I look forward to fixing that next week. “Emily in January,” oil on panel, 11″ x 14.”

- Geoff.

DMArtist7

Hey Goeff and Allison, your paintings look great! Missed coming to WC, especially to check my favorite thread! I’m relieved to see it still going! It has been soooo super busy for me last few months; however, I got this itch to pick up my oil paintings again so please feel free to kick my butt to motivate me! ;)

Allison, I really love how you set up your still life, it’s perfect!
                                                    Goeff, I’m hoping you are enjoying your life class so far!

May your days be full of sunshine and warmth (yeah I know I wish, but hey… who knows!)
                                                    ~

"Choose only one master – Nature." ~ Rembrandt

ronsu18

:wave: hi glad too read you DMA glad to hear all’s rolling along! thought of drawing a fat cartoon footsie to do the kick to bring your painting here 😊.

Allison the blacks look so good they must be amazing irl. the first thing i noticed was the pad, how densely synthetic the black looks. then studying the beauty of the bg noticed the meticulous temperature shift. really good!

Grotius two classes a week, that’s great! you could compare both of these to photos from a year ago. even the first layers are so controlled now, the masses sit, strokes are shorter, more confident. on an almost unrelated note, do you ever use rags? can’t help thinking how one stroke with paper here and there uniting strokes would model those round shapes to near completion…

painted a second hour to the cubes, not much difference and feeling curiously lost. we had almost no snow in december and i got used to making progress! intuition says this should definitely have been larger to be easier, too much needlepoint detail going on. the left needs deeper shadow.

[ATTACH]863154[/ATTACH]

C&C welcome

Grotius

Darker shadows might improve the picture, ronsu; give it a try! Keep us posted.

I use rags occasionally, but usually just paper towels and Q-tips. Rag storage and disposal is an issue for me, alas.

- Geoff.

moscatel

Ronsu, Allison, Grotius excellent job done!

My late night study of a ceramic jar is Fabriano oil paper, size about 20×35 cm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.