Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    jonc50

This is a painting (watercolour) that is showing where our town meets the Pacific. This photo is taken at a welcome roadside pullout on our main street through town which has an open view to the Douglas Channel in northern British Columbia, (Canada). The road is on a mountain that overlooks the town and this view is kept open for people to stop and walk or sit on benches and enjoy the view. This photo is taken during a day of freezing rain which is early in our winter. No snow just yet…but the branches have ice and they are thawing out. The roadside has been open to view but the mountain ash trees are growing where the larger evergreens blocked the view before they were cut back. This photo shows the freezing rain on the deciduous shrubbery, which has the fruit still hanging on the branches. I’m including a previous photo that shows the birds eating the fruit (berries) which in this photo has them covered with snow.
        The painting will be of the birds in the trees feeding on the berries. I’ll give more information as the painting progresses.

jonc50

This is the photo that I’ll be working from.

jonc50

This is as photo of what it usually looked like when the snow came and the trees had been blocking the view…it didn’t slow down the wintering birds!

Ohiohawk97

This is going to be great Jon. I love the landscape in your reference and the placement of the birds will really add some color to the scene.

Wes

I love this composition. Can’t wait to watch this come to life!

Jenna

My website: https://www.thecozyred.com/

jonc50

Thank you Wes; yes the birds do have some colour whereas the scene is really without much colour. The birds won’t be quite as bright with the heavy light coming from behind. It was a compromise between the colour of the birds from the side facing or have the brilliant lighting coming from the sun behind the scene. That’s why I chose two species that were at least colourful to begin with. I just hope that they still can stand a bit of artistic license in the lighting…:crossfingers: :grouphug:

jonc50

This is a close-up of the bottom left hand corner which shows the detail of the ice-clad branches. :thumbsup: Bearing in mind this is part of the reference, and not part of my work. :lol: :wave:

]

jonc50

I love this composition. Can’t wait to watch this come to life!

Thanks Jenna, More planning than my usual work.

jonc50

When I put up the close up of my photo, it cropped the one above that showed the whole background for the painting and posted it the same as the close up which I can’t change at this point so I’m going to post the background photo again and I assume the top photo will remain the same as the two photos are. Hopefully this will (by changing names) put the full sized background although leaving two photo the same!?

jonc50
                                        Triduana

This is going to be good! Will be checking back for updates. Love the frozen branches in the photos. Love the bird top right. :)

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

jonc50

The two different species of birds are locals from this area; the top bird is a Stellars Jay which stays all year and the other two are a mature Pine Grosbeak and a young or female Pine Grosbeak. So this should add a bit of colour to the project. The Grosbeaks follow the food and don’t hang around all year.

jonc50

This is a start on the sky.

kerri_oz

You’ve set yourself quite the challenge there, Jon. It will be interesting to see how you do it.

I'm here to grow and learn as an artist, so C&C always welcome :D

jonc50

This is on an Arches watercolour pad 18″ x 24″ cold pressed, 140 lb. 20 sheets.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.