Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing What’s the difference between a ‘white’ material, and a mirror?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    alex101

They both reflect all visible light, so why do they appear so different? :confused:

Patrick1

A mirror produces specular reflection; an incoming light ray bounces off in a single direction. A matte white surface produces diffuse reflection; incoming light rays reflect off in many directions (called scatter). A glossy white surface will produce some degree of both these effects.

alex101

But what about a glossy white surface vs a matt reflective surface? White still looks white, and the reflective still looks… different (not white) …

Patrick1

I’ll add: although we naturally tend to think of white surfaces as being brighter than a mirror, reflected light in a mirror (or especially the reflection of the sun on a curved mirror-like surface) can be a zillion times brighter than a white surface.

davidbriggs

Alex, I’m not sure if this is what you mean by a “matte reflective surface” but a metal with a microscopically rough surface reflects light entirely at the surface, but over a wide range of angles because that surface is uneven. A glossy white object on the other hand reflects 5-10 percent of the light in a specular fashion at the surface, and most of the remaining light in a diffuse fashion from within.
                        http://www.huevaluechroma.com/021.php

Colour Online (hundreds of links on colour): https://sites.google.com/site/djcbriggs/colour-online
                        The Dimensions of Colour: www.huevaluechroma.com
                        Colour Society of Australia: www.coloursociety.org.au

WFMartin

Consider the sun as the white light source….

A white material only reflects a fraction of the white light of the sun as the sunlight strikes it. If is it a white cloth, there is a tremendous amount of random scattering of the light rays as it is reflected. Even a white egg, or a shiny Corvette only reflects a fraction of the total sunlight that strikes them, but more than a cloth napkin.

Logically, this makes sense, since you can gaze directly at a white napkin in bright sunlight, or even at a white Corvette in direct sunlight, whereas if you were to gaze at the sun, you would damage your retinas.

On the other hand, a mirror reflects the sunlight with a profoundly greater efficiency than a white “thing” or “object”.

However, simple, understandable, laws of physics dictates that even a mirror is not perfectly, 100% efficient in terms of reflecting light. Even when painting reflections in a mirror, they should be created just a tiny bit darker in value than the objects being reflected in it.

It is for this reason that when painting reflections of a scene in water, I always try to paint the reflections just a tad bit darker than the objects that created them.

That’s one reason that reflections of skies in water always appear darker than the sky, itself, if only a small amount. This is assuming, of course, that the goal of the painter is that of reality.;)

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

davidbriggs

White objects and mirrors attain a similar range of percentage reflectance – e.g. around 90% for a titanium white paint (Munsell value 9.5) and up to 98-99% for a magnesium oxide coating, compared to 90-95% for ordinary metallic mirrors up to more than 99% for HR mirrors. As Patrick said, the difference is that a mirror produces a concentrated specular reflection while a matte white object produces a diffuse reflection.

Colour Online (hundreds of links on colour): https://sites.google.com/site/djcbriggs/colour-online
                                The Dimensions of Colour: www.huevaluechroma.com
                                Colour Society of Australia: www.coloursociety.org.au

Bastet469

Funny you ask this question. I was about to ask if anyone has tried Tri-Art’s Liquid Mirror acrylic paint. They hype up it’s reflectivity quite a bit.

”It is an opaque pigment that can be described as metallic or platinum in colour…. it has superior reflective qualities than all other pigments, including Iridescents.”

The company already makes [/COLOR]iridescent paint in both [/COLOR]silver and pearl but claim that Liquid Mirror is markedly different. The exclusive shine properties of Liquid Mirror are attributed to the use of something called[/COLOR] bismuth oxychloride. The result, according to art guru [/COLOR]Marion Boddy-Evans of About.com, is:

[/COLOR][/COLOR]a pale, very shiny, silver color. Like the shiny highlights on silver jewelry, the closest to what I visualize when I think ‘silver’ that I’ve come across in paint.”

But she admits that it can’t be truly appreciated in online photos or videos.[/COLOR]However at a whopping $20 average price for 60ml, I’m not prepared to pick up Liquid Mirror on faith alone.

What do you guys think?
                                    [/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"I like kids' work more than work by real artists any day."
                                    -Jean-Michel Basquiat [FONT=Palatino Linotype]
                                    Boy and Dog in a Johnnypump

Patrick1

Bastet,
                                        Yes…there is no substitute for seeing a real color sample…especially ‘special effect’ colors. I have a Tri-Art hand-painted color chart. Dontcha love companies that actually make these things? :angel:

Their Liquid Mirror is much brighter than all other acrylic ‘silver’ colors I’ve seen. It looks like platinum. I suppose if you applied it smoothly with a knife it would look somewhat mirror-like, although in my sample you can’t see your reflection in it…it’s not chrome-like…it’s more like whitish-silver.

Incidentally, Tri-Art’s Iridesent Pearl is very similar in color; from most angles it’s similarly bright, but is less opaque. It also costs a fraction of what Liquid Mirror does. I’ve found it useful in abstract work for bright splashes and accents.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.