WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 11:36 AM
In the middle of California...

Hails from United States
Question Question from the new girl.

I have heard that it is actually cheaper to make pastels than to buy them ready-made. Does anyone on here actually make their own pastels and if so, is it cheaper? I have a box of Rembrants that I have had over the years and when I run out of certain colors, I just usually go and buy those specific colors. I also go and buy a Schminke pastels every once and a while. I did find that buying online is cheaper than buying at an art supply, but if there is a better way to go, that would be really great.

I just feel that I have to limit how much I use my pastels because I really like to get quality pastels to draw with and I don't like that feeling.

So how about it? What is the cheapest route?

I don't really like this signature so I am going to change it, but i think I will just do it later.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Hagerstown MD, USA

Hails from United States
Exclamation pastel question reply

MAKE pastels?! No way! The PIGMENT costs can be outrageous, and you have to buy dozens and dozens of pigments.

No, the cheapest way is to buy them in sets on sale or closeouts. Do not buy old Rembrandts; they could be quite chalky.

Now many pastel or art multimedia books tell you how to "roll your own" and I have done that with fragments and it is messy.

PS: Always wear a dust mask!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 03:09 PM

Hails from United States
Hmmm...that is interesting. Why would someone say it is cheaper to make them myself? They must have some vendetta against me, or something like that. I only buy my pastels new, but I don't get to buy them that often.

"Roll pastels?" How does one do that?

Thanks for replying to my thread! I have been drawing for quite a while, but I am still experimenting and am always looking for new ways of doing things.

If you could buy the best set of pastels, what brand would you buy?

I don't really like this signature so I am going to change it, but i think I will just do it later.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
I've never actually done it, although I want to.
See this thread:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/P...MakingPastels/
I think it has to be cheaper if you use them a lot. Maybe not worth it at all if you only use them infrequently.
Good luck!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 03:35 PM

Hails from United States
Thanks Jim! I would use pastels much more if I did not have to worry about the cost of purchasing them. That is the problem and it saddens me. I love working with pasels, but I don't want them to be gone so I draw mostly with charcoal and my eraser. I will look into the cost and see which is the best way to go.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Hagerstown MD, USA

Hails from United States
my brands

You make a paste with pastel dust or fragments and either mix with water or add a binder and you roll them and let them dry. I use wax paper for rolling.
I use Rembrandts as my workhourse pastels. i can replace colors at most craft stores.
For really good works I prefer Senneliers and Unisons. It depends on what support I'm using and the composition of the artwork.