Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio Muddy lifeless Sunflowers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    tmwilliams

I’ve been at these for three days. These are my last two. They are unfinished because I get frustrated and simply toss them aside. They’re muddy and lifeless.

When I try to add life and shadow, I just get blah. When I try to add definition, it’s two strong and looks cartoonish.

I keep adjusting and it loses its light delicate feel.

Before I do another (a 4th) I need some feedback. What am I missing? What should I do differently?

The first one uses an orange (mixed) for the shadowing. The second uses a Rose madder.

The yellows are Hansa and Aureolin.

Thomas

RBloechl

Thomas, It’s all about contrast. Lights vs darks. Your colors are too analogous, too close together on the color wheel. To create definition and form, you need to place darker colors next to the lights. Don’t mix them together, let one layer dry before putting on the next. I did a quick photoshop version to demonstrate the importance of value change. I hop e this helps.

Rich

tmwilliams

Rich,

Wow. I think you are right. I need to be bolder.

Thomas

Zeldaquatic

I think you need to be more patient , let a layer dry before adding another one !

tmwilliams

I need to walk away…tossed this one out (and am tempted to toss my paints with it). It looked terrible when I went darker. Like a three year old’s interpretation of a flower.

tmwilliams

I think you need to be more patient , let a layer dry before adding another one !

I think this is spot on.

Kaylen

Rich and Zelda had some good insight, in general I think the petals are fine,but they could use some darks in the spaces between them and where they overlap being careful to lay off the light areas, you can almost always brighten ip a light by darkening around it,,,compositionally I would crop it at the stem leaving the flower well positioned in a square

Kaylen Savoie
                                https://www.savoieartist.com/
                                At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

janecorrarino

The comments are very valuable. I would like to know what paper you are using as well as what brands of paint?

tmwilliams

The comments are very valuable. I would like to know what paper you are using as well as what brands of paint?

Arches 140lb cold press with DS tubes.

Kaylen

this might help ..”A” and ‘B’,and “C’ are the same color,,,it depends on the surroundings

Kaylen Savoie
                                            https://www.savoieartist.com/
                                            At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

tmwilliams

Kaylen

Yep. I get the theory. Applying it properly takes patience and a bit of discipline. That’s what I am working on at present. I was too slapstick on this one. The results of today’s work is in the studio as “Sunflower Study”.

Thomas

oldey

I have one more suggestion to add to the excellent ones already given….
                                                    leave some white paper. Keep at it! Things will get easier.

tmwilliams

I have one more suggestion to add to the excellent ones already given….
                                                        leave some white paper. Keep at it! Things will get easier.

I’m thinking I’ll do that on the right – the flower’s left.

Thomas

BeLing

Well, I like the first sunflower, and that it’s not bright and contrasty. It has character.

What I think you might do is put some activity in the pollen and petals—not too much, enough to energize the tones (make less flat.)

I think the backgrounds are nice, and set a moodiness.

For future work: think about using complement colors for shadows, while doing the underpainting. So in this case, violet under the yellow.

joesurfer

I thought they looked perfect. You got to picture the finished painting in your head first then you have to solve in your head how to do it. You must see something different than what is above.

I have just been thrown out of the inn where I was staying, naked as a worm. Claude Monet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.