Home Forums Explore Media Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials Key info to include when describing your art?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bookat

Hey! :cool: So, I’m making a little website/portfolio, and I’m trying to determine what key information I should include next to each of my pieces. So far I’ve got:

Title
        Medium
        Size
        Year
        (and I might do a brief description about the piece)

:confused: Is there any other information you like to include with your work? (My name will be at the top of the page, so I don’t need to repeat it next to each piece)

:wave: Bonus question: with your descriptions of your art, do you think it’s better to describe the process or the concept/background behind your work? Or is it even necessary to include a description…does that somewhat cheapen the work?

Eraethil

I’m thinking you’ve forgotten the most important piece of info, the price. (unless you are also maintaining online stores and other sales channels separately)

Other options to consider:
            the support (canvas, board,…)
            the collection or series (hopefully separate pages for each)
            if you have framed the work, then framed and unframed size.

Bonus question: We don’t really have enough information to chime in on this. It is really a question of how you plan to market yourself and your work. Explore what you think your public identity should be.

For example, what three things about you are the key things that will make you memorable and help build relationships with your audience? What three things about your work are memorable and recognizably you? Perhaps focus on these six things with most of your descriptive words on your site. You can talk about other stuff, but see if you can repeat or imply these six messages in many different ways on your site without being too wordy – different words, same underlying messages. These messages don’t need to be descriptive explanations of the works. You will find the right balance of mystery and clear description to entice your audience to return. (I wish I was good at this stuff)

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
            Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Cyndi L

Welcome to the forum! Rick is right…there is no “one-size-fits-all” for descriptions. I know artists who are adamant that the viewer must be told what it is they are looking at, while others feel that whatever the viewer sees and feels is fine. This is a totally personal choice.

bookat

thanks guys! this helps :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.