Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Quinacridone Burnt Orange – The Paint Show

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi all :)

Thought I’d share with you my review of Quinacridone Burnt Orange by Daniel Smith.

This was published as a part of The Paint Show series.
    You can watch the full episode here:
    Quinacridone Burnt Orange – Daniel Smith | The Paint Show 22

Quinacridone Burnt Orange

I got this paint originally together with the Daniel Smith Secondary set, alongside Carbazole Violet and Undersea Green.

I really enjoyed this set, and I think it’s REALLY worth it in terms of the price.
    This is why I originally reviewed the entire set.
    I slowly got to love each and every one of these paints, and I wholeheartedly recommend getting them.

Paint Information

Here are some more stats and details about this paint.

[*]Pigment: PO48 (Quinacridone Orange)
      [*]Series 2
      [*]Excellent Lightfastness
      [*]Transparent
      [*]Granulating
      [*]Low Staining

As this is a series 2 paint, it’s not the cheapest.
    On Amazon it goes for about 17$ (and the set is 24$, so you can understand why I recommend that…).

I love this paint’s transparency too.
    I usually use heavier and darker wash from the get (not aiming for multiple glazings), but this one just may make me try some of that.
    I also like the relatively gentle granulation texture, and the fact it’s more easily liftable, as it’s low staining.

If I recall correctly PO48 should be staining.
    I’m not sure what Daniel smith did here, but this one seems to be low staining.

Demo

Here are some things I show in the video review…

A basic swatch and a quick wet-in-wet swatch.

Mixes with French Ultramarine and Sap Green (which Daniel Smith recommends doing).

And lastly, I attempt to recreate the paint.
    According to information I found online, this can be remixed by combining a yellow similar to PY150 and a red such as Quinacridone Rose (PV19) or Maroon Red (PR179).
    I didn’t have a suitable yellow (PY150 is somewhat neutral), and so I used a combination of Lemon Yellow and New Gamboge, and mixed it with Quinacridone Rose.

The result is pretty nice!

Pretty similar, right?

Conclusion

I really enjoyed making this review for you. Let me know if you liked it!

If you wish to watch the full video review, you can do so here:
    Quinacridone Burnt Orange – Daniel Smith | The Paint Show 22

And I’ll share more of these as I publish them :)

– Liron

- Liron Yanconsky
    My YouTube Channel - Learn Watercolor Painting!

FrankM

Thanks, Liron! Your color reviews are always very helpful.

But, they too often increase my “wish list!” :eek: :lol:

Cheers!
        Frank

FrankM

rabbitone

Great job Liron! I enjoyed your video. I use DS Quinacridone Burnt Orange, DS Quinacridone gold, DS Transparent Red oxide in many of my fall landscapes. I added you to my subscriptions on the YouTube channel.

Eliminate timidity. Failure is only experience to get us to the next level.

Franz Marc

as someone who paints primarily wildlife this is one of my favorite colors. and it’s formulated to be almost the exact same hue as WN’s famous Burnt Sienna.

side note: you can mix this exact hue by mixing DS Permanent Orange PO62 with DS Burnt Sienna.

an earth orange such as this is one of the most important and useful colors you could have on your palette if you paint wildlife. Even more useful than a PBr 7 Burnt Sienna.

Es gibt kein Muss in der Kunst, denn Kunst ist frei.

-- Vassily Kandinsky

FrankM

as someone who paints primarily wildlife this is one of my favorite colors. …
                    an earth orange such as this is one of the most important and useful colors you could have on your palette if you paint wildlife. Even more useful than a PBr 7 Burnt Sienna.

Thanks for the insight, Franz. Would love to see some of your paintings!
                    Frank

FrankM

Cyntada

Makes wonderful not-quite-neutral-complement studies with PB16 as well. Very interesting tonal range.

CK =)
                        I take great comfort in knowing that my genuine typos will probably be blamed on some device's autocorrect. :angel:
                        DIY art supplies, sketches, and more: cyntada.com / @cyntada

Thank you very much Liron! Loved the video. And subscribed to your channel.

Great colour! I bought DS Quin Gold before I got really keen on single pigment watercolours. Should have bought this one.

P. S. Checked my DS Quin Gold. It’s the old PO49 version. I bought it AFTER I got keen on single pigments.))) Haven’t started using it yet. THX again for your review! I’ll definitely buy this one. Will be great for autumn landscapes. And the browns it makes are awesome!

Looking forward to your new reviews.

Franz Marc

Thanks for the insight, Franz. Would love to see some of your paintings!
                            Frank

it’s right there in your avatar of the Bluebird for instance. Take a field guide to birds (or mammals) and page around and see how often that color comes up. All the time.

Es gibt kein Muss in der Kunst, denn Kunst ist frei.

-- Vassily Kandinsky

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.