WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 02:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
Texas

Hails from United States
Smile Re: Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art Monthly Challenge and Chat! December 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderFrost
I used to give my husband ideas but every year he goes shopping a day or two before Christmas, and there would be nothing left. I also like seeing the gifts wrapped by the tree, but he hardly ever bought anything early. We also started filling each other's stockings many years ago. That was something I missed as an adult. These days we just do that so there's a little less pressure. He is really hard to buy for. Since we have our son opening gifts on Christmas eve (yes, we do it Christmas eve) we don't feel like we're missing anything. But I like keeping the tradition of the three of us emptying our stockings on Christmas morning.

The drawers are almost 1 1/2 inches square and about 2 inches deep.

I started on Bill's gift yesterday. Sometimes I wonder about my idea, but I know you have a sense of humour. lol Still need to decide on a couple of colours... what are you favourite colours? Or maybe I should go with Susie's favourites?

I hope you feel better soon Dianna.
Mine are navy blue and aqua. Susie's are orange and black. (she wears more red and yellow than anything, but any time you ask her, those are her answers. Boo baby).
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2017, 10:59 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art Monthly Challenge and Chat! December 2017

Hm, yeah, orange and black would be too Halloweeny for this image. But red and yellow might work well. There's lots of blue in the background.

mkmcreations.com
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2017, 11:56 AM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

Hi I called into work yesterday, did some neutralizer treatments, started on prednisone and Septra, so I should be feeling better soon. I already do feel much better.
I'll be going to work today, I hope it goes well.

Speaking of going well I'm almost done with Michelle's artwork.
I showed it to my Hubby and he said "Oh, that's so cute you should frame that and put it up on a wall." He usually doesn't say that, limited wall space and they have to be special to get on a wall. Plus he is an artist also, so equal space on the walls is key to household harmony. Most of the time when I show him an art work he says "Nice start, oh did you think you were done?" and then points out every weak point on it.
I explained this wasn't ours and has to go to Michelle in Canada.
He said well maybe make one similar for us later.
He did still point out a one thing to fix on it so I'll do that.
Michelle I don't varnish my acrylic works.
How do you feel about varnish?

Dianna

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2017, 12:45 PM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Bill, I received mine and I love it! My husband does too. Can't wait till everyone can see it. Thank you so much, I will treasure it.

I went and got my husbands present today. It's a smoker. I should have taken his truck which is a big one and I love driving but no, I took my little Dodge. I got it in there with the help of a growing crowd of people at the store. They were a very nice bunch of people, couldn't have done it without them. I'm so impressed we got it in. It was surprisingly easy to get out. I thought I was going to have to get my son and friends to come over.

I did fill his stocking and just to annoy him so he can't peek I wrapped everything.

My sister and nephew are coming. She lives in Edmonton and he goes to a university by the top of Lake Superior. Our weather is going to seem really nice to them. I need to go get them stocking stuff but mostly just things they can eat while here since they're flying with carry on luggage.

Dianna, you should be getting my thingy in the next day or so. I can't imagine it taking to long to post.
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
Texas

Hails from United States

Glad you got it safely and that you like it, Virginia. I thought of you the whole time I was making it. Thank goodness for annoying girlfriends for inspiration.
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2017, 12:03 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Survived work ok, today.
It's wonderful how we are each thinking of the person we are making the art for as we make it.
The joy of the gift, both giving and receiving.
Virginia I'll be checking my mail box!
I can't wait to see what you made me!

Dianna

C and C always welcome.
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2017, 12:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
Texas

Hails from United States

Dianna, that is the best thing about making something for somebody. Instead of just buying a gift card, you have to put your mind into what the other person might like. Sometimes you are wrong. But, as somebody once said to me, "When you mean it, you will remember giving something long after they have forgotten it." That is true. I can still remember my ex rejecting something I had spent time and thought getting for her. It hurts as much today as it did then.
  #83   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2017, 11:20 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

I think Bill's gift is done, or very close. And I think you're going to laugh when you see it.

Well, Dianna, I guess that's a good thing that your husband gives you honest advice, whether you like it or not, lol. Over the years I have grown to depend on wetcanvas and those second opinions.

You could make yourself a print to keep if you don't want to paint it again. Really has me looking forward to seeing it knowing your husband likes it so much.

I do varnish my paintings. Acrylic is porous and it is good to have a protective coat. It also evens things out. Often a painting has different sheens on it due to different paints or techniques. I just use a spray varnish on mine.

Virginia, did you wrap the smoker? lol I hope your sister and nephew have good weather. My husband is in Alberta now and is hoping it won't storm so he can come home today.

mkmcreations.com
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #84   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2017, 11:57 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Michelle since I never have done the varnish thing I won't start with yours. That just sounds like a recipe for disaster.
I'll send it "as is" and if you want to spray varnish it, you at least have the experience under your belt.
Lots of experience you have helped me out here lots of times!
I did lots of reading on the web and varnish on acrylics it seems to be about even on the "not Necessary" and "you should Varnish". The same debate happens in Pastels. Really as long as it's matted and framed under UV glass pastels are fine without the spray finish, I never liked the spray finish-varnish, it darkens the colors and there was always that chance of a spray fart in the middle of the painting. Conservationists also have a split on the value of this for acrylics as the components are so close in makeup it is hard to address one without altering the other.
I did a donation artwork a week or so ago on brushed metal and I did spray that one with Krylon Kamar Varnish it was ok for that, but I thought it looked so shinny I guess I need to look around for a matte spray varnish but even that would be problematic as some times I add metallic accents and I like them shinny against the matte of the rest of the painting.
Fixing the one little thing on the painting and letting it dry.
I'll be sending yours out in the post on Monday!

Dianna

C and C always welcome.
  #85   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2017, 01:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
Texas

Hails from United States

I use varnish for the same reason as Michelle. It evens out the finish and brightens the colors. I use Cheap Joe's and a foam brush, myself. I used the gloss varnish on my ship and am glad I did. The sails, which were composed of gloss and matte finishes look a LOT, better.
  #86   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2017, 11:30 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Virginia got my present today!!!!
I love it and it is so you!!
I really like your sense of whimsy!
I'm going to get a frame and hang it up, it will remind me of you and all the wonderful things you do for me and everyone else also.
Thanks again!

Dianna

C and C always welcome.