Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Welcome to as What’s on Your Easel…July 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    !becca

Welcome to WOYE July 2016…Post your works in progress here so long as they are in oils…everyone is welcome!!! :wave:

for a more complete critique post in the main forum

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
        Becca's Fine Art

Delofasht

July is here?! Gah, it snuck up on me.

Well I’ve got like 8 paintings on my easel at the moment, but for now I’ll just show one that’s moved close to being done. It’s painted from the left over paints on my palette (like most of the paintings on my easel right now, because I get a nice palette set up and then life throws a giant stumbling block in my way). This one is about 2.5 inches in width by 5 inches tall, a little study from memory of flowers around my apartment complex. I really enjoy florals and still lifes. . . I should try doing more of them a bit bigger and more complex maybe. :lol:

Wow this looks so much better on my phone and mac screens. . . this LCD monitor makes it look so washed out. :crying: Ah well, my hand is in there to show it’s size. I used a small bright, a number 4 round, and whatever piles of paint I had left on my palette, on a sheet of paper I have some terrible sketches on that I needed to cover up (couldn’t stand seeing them in my folder anymore).

- Delo Delofasht
            DraconianMike

Well, new month, new beginnings. Haven’t posted in a long while, with moving and other life things getting in the way. With my new set up I have been painting a lot more though. I will post pics when I get home.

I also really want to take time and speak about the amazing work that gets posted on these forums.

@Delofasht: This is really good, and so small too! It’s funny, I want to do smaller studies like this (for portraits) but never do it. Too many other things I do I guess lol

mtpalms

Delo, that is a little gem, and good re-use too. I din’t think you will get sick of looking at this one.

Mike, I feel your pain, although I haven’t been moving, it seems like I have been in constant motion, just not painting for the last couple of months. A couple days ago, I got back to it, and completely redid the background on this one. The colors were just wrong wrong wrong. The last two days, I blocked in the foreground, and struggled with the tires. Eliipses are such a challenge! Still haven’t quite got them, but I can move on now and they won’t really bother me (much), until I can get back to them. :crossfingers:

New link to my latest work.[/url]
                    "The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier they dug on hallowed ground
                    But the tomb of the unknown artist is nowhere to be found."

AnnieA

Delo, I have a tablet with a tiny screen and it looks wonderful. Great range of values and lovely color.

Mike, congrats for the new painting tjme.

…A couple days ago, I got back to it, and completely redid the background on this one. The colors were just wrong wrong wrong. The last two days, I blocked in the foreground, and struggled with the tires. Eliipses are such a challenge! Still haven’t quite got them, but I can move on now and they won’t really bother me (much), until I can get back to them. :crossfingers:

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/02-Jul-2016/208394-wc_4317.jpeg[/IMG]

Looking good, Marcia. I don’t see any real ellipse problem. The near tire maybe is a tiny, tiny bit wonky, but that seems to be part of the age of the vehicle. I would never even have made the observation except that you made the comment about ellipses. Did you know you can buy ellipse templates. They were used by graphic artists and architectural designers years ago. I don’t know who uses them now that we have digital drawing and drafting, but I still see them in art supply stores.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                        [FONT=Palatino]
                        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

mtpalms

:) Thanks Annie, but this is a big painting, 48″ x 48″. I have a bunch of templates, but nothing quite that big! I may blow up the tire area in the photo, print it, and cut it out, if I can’t get it right.

Delofasht

I was on a stream yesterday where someone suggested I try painting an old school trailer and immediately thought of your work Marcia. Got some landscapes I gotta knock out first though.

Came to a realization of what to do with left over paint on my palette when I can’t seem to use it up fast enough, decided to start mixing it all up together to make a base coat to tone new surfaces. Most the time when I start a painting I quickly try to cover the surface with some sort of thin coat of color to kill the white of a surface anyhow, this way that layer is already dry and I can more quickly assess color relationships against a relatively neutral middle value. Plus because the neutrals have some variance in color I end up having a nice little unique abstraction to begin from too sometimes which is really fun. Never wasting any paint anymore. I probably won’t get around to painting over this newly toned surface for a few weeks now, but at least it will be ready to go for me.

Thanks for liking the flowers everyone, they still need a few glazes of some actual clean color now, because up to this point it has been all opaque applications of color (mixtures with a lot of white in them). I think the little study has helped me figure out a composition for a larger piece on a canvas that I was given (rarely work on canvas anymore).

- Delo Delofasht
                                mtpalms

:) Thank you, Delo. I have several more trailer paintings in mind to do, hoping to get started on them soon.

Delofasht

Here’s the latest work that is finally getting to a presentable point off my easel, I have a piece of plexiglas with multiple pieces of paper taped to it for studies and small little test paintings.

This one actually has quite a way to go before I think it’ll be done, I’ve got so many layers of glazing to do to push and pull aspects and add color variety to the image overall. I started it some time last month with just some PR101 (transparent) and worked up an interesting set of shapes for the trees. The second 45 minute session had me painting in a very limited palette of the same red + PY 42, PW6/4, and PBk9. I’d recently been using those colors for some sketches so I’d just decided to work up this a bit more. Past couple sessions has had my full palette of the same red, yellow and white with PB 27 and PV 19 added to give me a full range. It’s coming along now, but I’ve yet to touch it with the blue other than a tiniest little addition to the water. I feel a real urge to include some PY110 to this, but it’s such a small space and it’s glazing so nice with the PY42 that I have not given in just yet.

So far so good, and so far to go still.

Three more landscapes still on my plexiglas. . . but they are not at all ready to show yet. :lol:

- Delo Delofasht
                                        Delofasht

Alright so above we see where I basically started, realized I should snap a shot for everyone to see before I started putting in the next stuff. Here’s where I’m stopping for now after about an hour and a half more work on it.

Going to work some of the cast shadows on the trees from the ivy and try to get some atmosphere to push the background back, sharpen up the edges on the center tree, work the water and do some work on the midground rock on the right. I toyed with touches of a lavender shade in the background to link it to the foreground some but it looks like it is flattening the image to me, so I will probably just soften that up a bit in the next pass. Last step will be softening the mushrooms and putting some more texture on the trees with a variety of browns greens, maybe some purples on the shadow side.

Edit: This photo is rather raw, I didn’t do much other than reduce the saturation a bit because my camera was pushing the saturation through the roof as it always seems to.

- Delo Delofasht
                                            OziAfricana

I couldn’t complete this last month but will hopefully put in some work this July.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home
                                                My Blog

Instagram
                                                midwest

Beautiful work, Delo and Oxi. I’m posting one that I’m about to call done. Suggestions?

Kathie :
                                                    Delofasht

Hey Ozi, good to see you are still working on that one, the boy on the right side of the image seems to have something unusual going on with the placement of the eyes currently, should be easy enough to push one up or the other down slightly. I’m really enjoying the lighting and warmth and happiness these guys seem to have, good job at capturing the emotion.

Kathie, I love your beach scene, the perspective with the viewers angle being nearly on the ground is fun. Feels like I’m laying back on the beach watching them build. :)

- Delo Delofasht
                                                        Dan-007

Started back painting … working on this at the moment

OziAfricana

Thanks Kathie and Delo. Great job guys.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home
                                                                My Blog

Instagram
                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.