Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Canvas board vs pre-streched canvas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    craigthompson

Hi guys :wave:

( this is my first post so hello to everyone)

Just wondering what everyone thinks about using canvas board? Is it a mongrel option and only to be used for practice or studies?

Craig

Hi Craig, welcome to WC! and the Studio Tips forum.

Most canvas boards are fairly inexpensive and intended for studies or student work and are not made to last. They won’t exactly fall apart overnight but they’re not really suitable for serious work as they have a core of cheap cardboard, wrapped in cotton canvas.

There are canvas panels, particularly one or two made by a few higher-end makers, which are a different proposition entirely. These are based on acid-free boards or panel materials and the canvas can be of much better quality, sometimes linen, adhered with archival glues. Some of these are oil-primed so they’re really for working in oils or something similar, not acrylics.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

Brad121

Hi ya Einion,

Can you list and or recommend some few higher-end makers of those archival boards please?

Thanks,

Brad

Fredrix sells Belgian linen glued to hardboard panels, but all that I’ve seen are acrylic primed. They make oil primed linen in rolls too, so they may have that as an option as well.

David Blaine Clemons
            ----------------
            My Website
            My Blog

craigthompson

Hi,

Thanks for your replies, its good to know what the wider community thinks. Also I have a REALLY novice question. I buy pre-stretched canvases and they come with these little wood bits in a bag. Any idea what they’re for? I was guessing its something to do with securing the canvas to an easel.

Craig

Jholdren

Hey Craig.

Another company that makes a great archival canvas panel is Raymar. Their website is http://www.raymarart.com – the panels are made of hardboard and the back is coated with a gray melamine to prevent moisture and it makes a nice attractive backing to the board as well. They offer acrylic primed canvas panels (for use with oil or acrylic) and oil primed panels for oil paintings.

I use these panels for my plein air work and they are really great. Another fine company is http://www.canvaspanels.com (Sourcetek) , but they are a bit more expensive.

Justin

www.justinholdren.com
                    www.justinholdren.blogspot.com
                    American Society of Landscape Painters - Signature Member
                    "Comments and critiques always welcome!

fiatlux

Hi,

Check in the plein air forum where they are very familiar with boards and most people use them. There are also several threads about making your own.

The difference that people don’t talk about is that a canvas board has to be put in a frame. A canvas on stretchers can be cheaply finished off with strips of molding that one can paint rather easily. If you want to be fancy you can use double strips, the inner one painted black.

Richard

Donald_Smith

To add to Richard’s post, search for Marc Hanson in the PA forum. He has an excellent step by step post on making panels. Most people use non-tempered masonite, then glue the fabric of their choice to the panel. You need either a band saw, saber saw or a table saw. You can also just gesso the panel and paint directly on that. Some people use Elmers glue, rabbit skin glue or acrylic medium. I’ve used the acrylic medium and it works great! but it isn’t cheap. With Elmers glue, you will need to cut your panels and fabric. Then put your glue on, start from the middle and go out, then lay on your fabric. Use wax paper between each panel. Put the stack of panels on a solid flat surface then weight it down with a something heavy. Elmers will take a lot longer than 24 hours to dry in this manor. The only thing I left out was to lightly sand the board and clean it with acetone (I think it’s acetone, alcohol should work too) before you glue it. It is good to use a roller of some kind, the kind they use for rolling ink on a carving to make a print works great. After you have waited 48 to 72 hours for the Elmers to dry, seperate the boards, they will still want to stick together. Then use a small 3″ roller or brush and gesso each panel. After it has dried, lightly sand it, then gesso again. Repeat until you have 3 coats of gesso. Lightly sand the last coat and then trim the canvas with a safety razor or sharp knife. You can tone the last coat of gesso if you want. It doesn’t take long to make these and you can create odd shapes for what ever composition you want. I’ve also used white erase boards, and glued the canvas to the back side of the board. 1/4″ plywood will work and so does MDF board. I can’t promise they will have a super long life expectancy, but they will work.

I prefer to paint on a covered board than stretched canvas. The board provides a solid support, and they can’t be quickly cut off a stretcher by a thief, rolled up and taken away. If someone pushes on it, the canvas doesn’t buldge, and if someone were to slash at it with a knife, it wont leave a gaping hole. Some worst case senerios there…:)

Don

"We are never really happy until we try to brighten the lives of others." Helen Keller
                            A Painter's Quest

painterswife

My husband paints all his small oils on high end canvas boards from “Wind River Arts”.

He likes them alot and as he is already making his own frames he does not have time to make them himself.

Jill

…Also I have a REALLY novice question. I buy pre-stretched canvases and they come with these little wood bits in a bag. Any idea what they’re for? I was guessing its something to do with securing the canvas to an easel…

If the canvas gets slack, it can be tightened by tapping the little wood pieces into the inside corners of the stretcher bars.

Richard

C&C is welcome.
                                Richard

craigthompson

thank you richard, thats good to know.

craig

Fauve

Since we’re on the subject, does anyone here use cotton duck material to staple to a wood frame for a painting surface? When gesso’d, it is nearly the same as canvas material. Your thoughts?

[FONT=Arial]I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. (A.Einstein)

Since we’re on the subject, does anyone here use cotton duck material to staple to a wood frame for a painting surface? When gesso’d, it is nearly the same as canvas material. Your thoughts?

It the past canvas meant something a little more specific but today, unhelpfully, the word covers pretty much any material stretched on a frame sold to artists for them to paint on. Most cotton canvases are cotton duck as far as I know.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

Fauve

Ohhhh… wow, I didn’t know. Thanks for your reply Einion.

Ok now, I have a confession. Ready?

Lately, I have been priming my canvases with white interior primer paint (rather than gesso)… then I sand it lightly when dry to get a smooth surface. Trashy? Maybe. It seems to be working. Anyone else here tried the “redneck canvas fix”?:D

[FONT=Arial]I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. (A.Einstein)
                                            Fauve

Oh, wow, am I still the last post on here? Is my face red? :evil: ??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.