Home Forums The Town Center Welcome Forum! Hello from Boston!

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Jon.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Shamrock617

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to leave a message here and introduce myself. I am excited to join the community here and begin learning more about painting and trying to improve my own skill.

I am really here because of my 5 year old daughter. She got a bunch of watercolor paints and paint supplies from her grandfather as a gift and her interest in painting has just exploded now. She has asked to paint every day and even has a little “studio” set up in the kitchen now, along with her “gallery”. Of course there was a catch. She has insisted that Daddy (me) learn to paint along with her. =)

So, here I am, a 41 year old educator who has never seemed to have a speck of artistic ability. I have always admired painters and artwork with great envy but never really got far with my own skill. But there are people from the art teacher in my school to Bob Ross to Van Gogh that seem to scoff at the “I can’t paint” excuse so I am ready to dive in and learn with my daughter.

Mostly I am looking to start trying acrylics. I really love oil paintings and this may be my highest area of interest, wishing to follow along with Bob Ross who I still enjoy very much, but I have concerns about the safety of it. There may be no basis to these concerns, but the chemicals to clean oil paints and possible odors from the paints make me uneasy… especially with my young daughter so tied in with this endeavor. And I do like watercolors but am not sure I want to dedicate myself to that yet. So, for now, I am mostly interested in learning about acrylics and practicing with those… with some dabbling in watercolor too I am sure.

Anyway, it will be quite a journey since my paintings now look like something a second grader might make, but I am excited to learn and set a good example for my daughter too. This site and forum looked like a great site to join as I walk along this path and look for ideas and support. If anyone knows any other sites, videos, etc. that are great for learning acrylics I am all ears!

Thanks everyone and I will see you around the forums!

HI, it’s nice to meet you.

Your daughter sounds awesome!

You could ask in the oil forum about water soluble oil paint, which might be a good alternative for you. Acrylics are fun too and we have a great forum for that as well.

Enjoy all the forums be sure to check out the Member FAQ’s for help navigating the forums and for how to’s on inserting images and such. Let us know if you need any help. :)

Welcome to WetCanvas!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
        Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

Jon

Welcome!
            There is something here for the novice artist right on through to the professional artist.
            Good for you learning to paint alongside your daughter.
            FYI:
            * You can access any Forum by using the “Forum Jump” located at the bottom right of the screen or the Channels drop down menu at the upper left
            * Moderators and Guides have links in their Signature lines to address FAQ’s
            * There are “Stickys’’ (permanent threads that “stick” at the top of all thread listings) that are full of helpful information.
            * You can use Google Advanced Search to help you locate topics of interest – simply enter WetCanvas in the blank for domain name.

talisman

Welcome!
                Nice family project you have and you should both have fun learning together.
                You are never too old to learn a new skill. I use Acrylics and I love them, so I might see you there.
                Look around and find a subject or medium you like, there is truly something for everyone here.
                Have fun exploring lots of things to do, Learning Areas and Monthly Challenges in several forums.
                Look at some of the forums and you’ll soon find a fit that’s right for you, or maybe several forums.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                C and C always welcome.
                My DeviantArt Gallery

Greggo

Welcome to WC Welcome Forum!

This is the Place to introduce yourself and for us to pass on to you some tips.

There are lots of fine folks here, you can meet many of them as you browse about while exploring the full list of the forums. We are looking forward to seeing your art, and getting to know you!

There are all levels of artists, from many lands, working in virtually all mediums. Newcomers to Art are especially welcome.

Sharing, learning and teaching others is the best way to fan the creative flames.
                    The friendly members here will try to help you with any questions you have.

Be sure to review the guidelines for commercial uses,
                    Read about the use of images in the Reference Library.
                    Links to additional information contained in my signature line below.

(The Abstract & Contemporary Forum is where I am usually found.)

Gregg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.