Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The Hard critique sought: nude figure, alkyds

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    GuyBishop

Hard critique sought, on any aspect. Kudos not required. Alkyds and some pencil on canvas 40x50cm approx 16×20 inch. Thanks for your time!

[Despite my best efforts to correct colour and exposure, at least on my screen this comes out a bit yellower than in real life, the background should be close to clean white, on a blue underground.]

earlselwyn

Guy,

There seems to be a few proportion issues. The model’s left hand, shoulders, and arms seem a bit over-sized or masculine. Distance from sternum to chin seems a bit elongated as well. However, without a reference photo or first hand view I’m lacking some conviction on my observations. I would like to know if any other visitors here agree… or is it just me.

Also, what type of “alkyds” are you using?

-Earl

instagram.com/earlselwyn/

OK

The only one on the forum likely to give you a sound critique is Bill (ArtistOz) who is very knowledgeable on the arts and the figure in particular.
                Getting anything apart from Kudos is hard work as hard as getting a decent drawing.

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                — Allen Ginsberg
                Are you ready for a Journey?
                PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

wdaniels

The only thing that bothers me about the painting are the cast shadows on the shoulders and her right thigh, which to me are confusing and destroy the forms. I would subdue the shadows on the shoulders and eliminate the shadow on the thigh. The proportions, although they may not be completely accurate, don’t bother me. I like the feel and style of this painting.

123harry

Overall the figure works quite well. It’s an unusual pose and one that invites the viewer to join the woman in the contemplation of her belly. I like it. I usually try to start a crit with some kudos if only in the hope of irritating the little clique within the forum who regard themselves as an intellectual elite and are rather too fond of their own voices (if that’s an appropriate description for an online forum.)
                        On the negative side the lack of hue in the shadows (at least as they appear in the posted image) and their rather messy application makes them look like dirty patches on the figure rather than true shadows. The lighting on her right arm as compared to right leg seem inconsistent and her right breast looks too light and flattened to the right. The navel is unconvincingly sketchy. Her right hand and its position are not as well drawn as the left hand.
                        I still like it.

C&C always welcome.
                        Instagram harry.hamill

GuyBishop

Very many thanks for helpful critiques, I’m lucky to get feedback from such talented artists, thank you! Harry: I realise that pure negative critique is difficult to give, if I were critiquing I would certainly do the good-bad-good sandwich thing! [By the way, if anyone ever wants “opinionated beginner critique” from me, pls feel free to message me and direct me to a post.]

Earl indicates concerns with proportions. In fact proportions as drawn are basically accurate (from photo with aid of grid). But it’s certainly possible that other aspects (e.g. representation of shadows) make proportions appear wrong, so I value this comment. My own biggest concern in this regard was face: seems to me too small, even though that’s the photographic reality.

Wayne and Harry both indicate concerns with cast shadows (colour concerns, shape concerns). OK, noted. I know that the predominant tendency on this forum is photo-realism or near-realism, whereas I’m aiming for something a bit further towards impressionist/expressionist; I guess I was deliberately allowing myself to be less realist with those shadows, but that hasn’t worked, at least for you guys. So I have to think how I need to respond… I know you’re right, question is how I should deal with it! Other more detailed comments from Harry also noted, useful, thanks.

My own biggest concerns with this painting were around the face and the hair. Face seems to me a bit cartoonish/amateurish, and I think maybe it needs to be a bit darker/pinker. Hair: I wanted to avoid fussy detail that wouldn’t be coherent with the body, but not very convinced by how it’s come out.

Earl: they’re Griffin alkyds, happy to discuss in another thread or by PM.

Many thanks again, really appreciated, and further critical comments from others very welcome.

– Guy

As almost always, I agree with Harry entirely, especially about the navel:) He looks at images with great depth, and I always go back to the picture to go through his comments. Dave, anyone can give a crit, and spot things that the artist has missed. The artist can easily get lost in the picture and ceases to see what he or she is staring at, so another view is always welcome, from anyone.

With all respect, to say that there is only one person qualified to give an opinion in this forum is very unfair to the other regular posters and will do nothing to encourage more people from posting and commenting.

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                            More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
                            Instagram
                            https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

~JMW~

Adding to the other comments, I didn’t notice anything mentioning the hard edges/lines of the areola.. the stronger color there does draw the eye, compared to the muted colors in the rest of the piece..Strongest color & detail should be used for focal area.

Prego navel usually stretches & expands and some can become quite “outie”

WC has a Critique forum also –
                                https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

~Joy~

OK

Sew up my mouth, cut out my tongue lest my words offend thee.

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                                    — Allen Ginsberg
                                    Are you ready for a Journey?
                                    PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

earlselwyn

Everyone: Seriously? I’m the only one that thinks there is a “man hand” on top of the woman’s tummy? Oh well. So much for a “sound critique.” :P

-Earl

123harry

Result!

C&C always welcome.
                                            Instagram harry.hamill

earlselwyn

Sorry, I’m confused. What?

123harry

Sorry, earlselwyn, a response to the previous post.
                                                    The hand does not strike me as particularly masculine.

C&C always welcome.
                                                    Instagram harry.hamill

~JMW~

The lower hand thumb joint seems a bit more muscled/ thicker to me, compared to the upper hand. There is an odd indent/curved shape to the upper thumb joint..
                                                        I suppose the nails could match more length wise to appear more feminine..some nails seem long and some don’t show or appear blunt..

The more I look the more I notice..
                                                        pointy elbows..

~Joy~

GuyBishop

Hahaha, this is fun, albeit male-dominated! Earl, I don’t really expect unanimous consensus, and if you think that hand looks big and over-masculine, I absolutely value that comment. Actually, I agree, it does look big… maybe she just has big hands? And the elbows are definitely pointy JMW, though I’m not sure that has much to do with whether the painting as a whole is good, bad or indifferent? I hope not the latter! Talking of which: please don’t sew up any of your orifices for my sake Journeyman Dave, your views (as anyone else’s) would be very welcome. But hey, equally happy for the thread to come to end, I’ve definitely got my money’s worth. Thanks again!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.