Home Forums The Town Center WC Site Technical Discussions Suggestion Box old site

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    PaulaIA

Hello,
        I have been looking around the site hoping to find a place where members could post suggestions for features that they would find helpfull. I have not found any place yet. Douse such a forum exist? if so please show me the way to get there. If not could I make a couple of suggestions here?

Thank You
        Paula

No one is useless in the world who lightens the burden for anyone else. Charles Dickens

PaulaIA

Well it has been 4 weeks since I posted this thread and I have been wondering why I have not received any replies to my questions. I thought a guide, moderator or administrator would be looking at the posts in this area and I would have an answer to my questions rather quickly. When that did not happen I wondered why. I began reading things more closely and discovered that I am in the right place to make the suggestions I want to make. I think I did not get any replies because no body wanted to point out to me how stupid I looked with this thread.:o So now (having already made my self look totally stupid :D ) I will make my suggestions and hopefully receive feedback on them.

1) I want to suggest having a sticky with the title ” Suggestion Box” there by hopefully eliminating the embarrassment that I caused my self by not reading things with more care.

2) I would like to see a page that contains the names and flags of all the countrys that are represented here on WC. That way when I see a flag that I don’t know I can click it and be taken to the page and find out what country it represents.

3) Have a sticky on the Town Center page that contains explanations of the commonly used words and phrases here on WC. (I have tried asking in the past but was ignored and never got an explanation. When one gets ignored one tends not to try interacting again)

Ok that is it for now:o
            Thank You
            Paula

No one is useless in the world who lightens the burden for anyone else. Charles Dickens

Sorry I missed your previous post Paula. I may have been away.

In fact this Site Discussions forum is where you should make any suggestions about changes or improvements to the site.

Suggestions for new sub forums have been acted upon when there has been enough support.

Maybe a sticky for suggestions would be worth considering, and meantime I’ll make this thread a “sticky”.

That would however mean I had two threads to keep an eye on. So far all suggestions have been simply posted in the forum as new threads.

Whilst I am sure the site owners are not deaf to suggestions for improvements, they are limited by the forum software they use which has limited scope for changes.

Hopefully when the migration to the new servers and updated software is complete there will be more scope.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

PaulaIA

Thank You Doug!:)
                I know that things can’t be done instantly but I think they are worth waiting for.

In the mean time, could someone find a page from somewhere else that has the flags and names of countrys and put a link in here so I can bookmark it? That way I can see where people are coming from (literally:lol: ). It helps to understand what is being said (and satisfies my curiosity) if I know their cultural background.

And as for the last suggestion (the Town Center sticky) it would provide a another opportunity to enhance the learning here on WC.

Oh yeah, and having a permanent suggestion box would show that WC seriously wants member input by having it so easy to find.:wink2:

Again Thank You for reading and replying to this post.
                Paula

Paula if you hover your mouse over the flags you should get a popup indicating the country.

For the wetcanvas acronyms, check out this link to be found in the NEWBIES thread in my signature.

Doug

PaulaIA

Hi Doug,
                    On the flag thing… Wow!! I never noticed that before(duh). I tried that once awhile back and did not get any results. But it is working now.
                    As for the link to the dictionary, it is very helpful but what I need is explanations on things like the phrase “push the darks”, and other instructions of that manor. I think I know what it means but am not sure and when I asked I was ignored. I guess what I would like to see would be called something like “Drawing Instructional Phrases for Dummies”. Something that would explain clearly things that are assumed to be self explanatory but have room for a wrong interpretation.(cus I can usually find the wrong interpretation when left on my own:o ) So if that already exists somewhere here on WC please point me to it.
                    Thanks for all your efforts in helping me I really appreciate it:thumbsup:
                    Paula

MonicaB
                        PaulaIA

Thank You Monica,
                            This link is also helpful and I bookmarked it too. Now if there were a way to look up explanations of the phrases that are used I would be all set:D
                            Paula

W.J.Lexie

Hi Doug,
                                On the flag thing… Wow!! I never noticed that before(duh). I tried that once awhile back and did not get any results. But it is working now.
                                As for the link to the dictionary, it is very helpful but what I need is explanations on things like the phrase “push the darks”, and other instructions of that manor. I think I know what it means but am not sure and when I asked I was ignored. I guess what I would like to see would be called something like “Drawing Instructional Phrases for Dummies”. Something that would explain clearly things that are assumed to be self explanatory but have room for a wrong interpretation.(cus I can usually find the wrong interpretation when left on my own:o ) So if that already exists somewhere here on WC please point me to it.
                                Thanks for all your efforts in helping me I really appreciate it:thumbsup:
                                Paula

HHmmm ” push the darks “:confused: odd [ though , it is out of context here ], what does that mean ? I have an associates degree in art and been making art for some time and never heard of it , perhaps the person made it up or heard it from someone else so that they may not know it means as well . Also the person may not have noticed your inquiry , try a polite pm . :)

Deborah Secor

Well, this probably isn’t the place for this discussion, but since I’m here…IMHO, pushing the darks means heightening the contrast by adding more darks. It probably came from the idea of “push development” in photography, where when a roll of film (remember that stuff?) was underexposed you could compensate by developing it for a longer period of time, thus making more contrast. So when someone says “push the darks” they’re probably suggesting more, stronger or darker darks. Hope that helps…

Deborah

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                                    Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
                                    Gouache Blog

PaulaIA

Deborah
                                        Thank You so much, it helps to know the exact meaning of the instructions that are given when someone is trying to improve there work.
                                        Paula

Subbia

Hello,

I joined WetCanvas a few weeks ago. I enjoy the amount of technical information and practical experience that many of the people here share freely. As I am new to the community, my intention is not criticism but rather pure suggestion, as the title denotes.

In the case of painting forums, casein, gouache, and egg tempera are all lumped together into one forum. In addition, there is a seperate forum for oil painting. However, no forum exists for fresco or mural painting, the most tried and historic of painting mediums. I understand that tempera is similar in many respects to fresco, but I don’t personally believe it warrants to be lumped into the same forum. As well, truefresco.com seems relatively unknown and underused.

My second suggestion refers to the Art History forum. Everytime I browse that forum, I am choked with Mystery masterpiece posts. It seems that the volume of posts regarding MM is large enough to consider it becoming its own subforum. It would make free the main Art History forum for engaging in particular disucssions outside of the MM focus.

Finally, it would be of interest to the creation of a Renaissance forum, discussing the materials and methods utilized during the Renaissance- a period which brought about the realization of perspective, naturalism, and vastly expanded the experimentation with material and technique.

It is my hope that you will take these suggestions under consideration, and I look forward to hearing your feedback regarding them. Thank you.

Subbia

After reading over the Knowledge base, I realize that this post should be cross-posted in the Mixed Media forum. I apologize- is it possible for a moderator to cross post this for me? Thank you.

keenart

It is a good idea to focus on a subject that gets a lot of attention in and of itself. Now all you have to do is convince the Administrator and Moderators to make such a new catagory.

Jan

The site admin are usually happy to create new sub-forums if there is enough demand. I din’t frequent the Art History forum, but would a su-forum denude it of posts?

I’ll merge this thread with the Suggestion Box sticky at the top of the forum BTW.

Doug

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 135 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘Suggestion Box old site’ is closed to new replies.