Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Hi Everyone!

I am in the planning stages of my next project and I have a few questions.

Basically, I am looking for information on how to use metallic leaf in an oil painting. The metallic areas are small detail areas. The painting is on canvas with about 10 layers of gesso sanded between each layer for a very smooth surface.

I’ve never done any gilding or anything similar, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

I specifically do not want to use metallic paint or ink, as they do not have the quality I am going for.

Any information on gold or compound leaf, those metallic powders, adhesives, surface preparation, and sealing would be greatly appreciated.

Thansk!!!!
    :cat:

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Mary Woodul

Hi! and welcome to Mixed Media. I have used gold leaf quite a bit in my paintings and I have glued it on with a varnish called Flating varnish. Waited for it to dry until it was just sticky and then laid the leaf on it. I have also used arts crafts glue and I understand that acrylic gel medium is also very good for pasting anything. I have also used metalic powders by just shaking a little to and area where I have brushed with crafts glue and after it is dry I spray with a fixative. The gold leaf, I have used in different mediums and with oil also, under oil and and I have also put pieces on over parts of an oil painting when I want to cover up something. I hope this will help you. :cat:

Hi Mary!
        thanks for your reply!!

In your experience, what is the visual difference between using leaf and sprinkling the powder over the adhesive?

When sprinkling the powder, what clean-up/safety precautions do you take?

Also, would the adhesive work directly over dried oil paint?

Thanks again!!!
        :D

Mary Woodul

The gold leaf has a beautiful texture in itself and the powder will only look like gold powder but it can be interesting also. With all pigments and powders I use a mask so that I won’t breath the very fine particles and I have a damp cloth to clean up immediately because that very fine dust does fly around. I usually use the tip of a spatula and knock it a little with finger so that very little will shake off. Yes you can put adhesive over dry oil paint. :D

Thank you so much…I really appreciate your help.

javadog

Just a quick point which may come way to late but if you are using real gold leaf(24carat) or silver leaf you must use a technique called water gilding- which is basically a gelatin/water mix. I gild quite a bit so let me know if you have any probs and I may be able to help ( it would be great to be able to help for a change instead of being the one who asks all the questions!!!) :wave:

Thanks! I may just call on your expertise! I started my painting, but I won’t be ready to gild for a little while. This will be my first time gilding.

I may use composition leaf instead of the real thing…I’m not sure. Which one is easier to work with? Is the extra expense worth it? Also, I am hoping to put other metallic colors on there in addition to gold.

I will be working in small areas…is the leaf transparent? how do you do placement?

Mary Woodul

Just a quick point which may come way to late but if you are using real gold leaf(24carat) or silver leaf you must use a technique called water gilding- which is basically a gelatin/water mix. I gild quite a bit so let me know if you have any probs and I may be able to help ( it would be great to be able to help for a change instead of being the one who asks all the questions!!!) :wave:

I use a lot of gold leaf that is called fake gold leaf down here although it is gold of a lower carat. I am interested in your technique since I learned by myself and do find it tricky sometimes to get a smooth finish. Thank you for sharing. :cat:

javadog

Yes, a smooth finish can be very elusive…… water gilding can produce a smoother finish as you can gently blow on the leaf when it has been placed to smooht out most wrinkles. Real gold leaf is extremly difficult to work with and you need to use a gilders tip and pad if you want any type of precision with your work but if you are game enough and only want bits here and there then you can break it and use tweezers to apply it( it is so fine the most gentle of breath will blow it away). You can buy a double thick leaf here in real gold whcih is easier to work with but still tricky. Fake gold leaf or dutch metals are much easier to work with and look quiet similar but the real gold doesnt have the guady look that the dutch can. You can also get variagated metal leaf which comes in red,green and blue and looks abit like oil on water- ( the red is quiet amazing ) I will post some more info tonight but for now my 3 month old has decided he needs some attention!!
                        :wave:

Mary Woodul

What do you mean by water guilding? Do you paste with gelatin? The gold I use is very fine and blows away with the air of your breath. I try to control it with a card and a very fine hair, flat brush and let it fall in place.

javadog

Just realized that I actually mislead you yesterday..sorry all… you can oil gild real gold leaf but not silver ( it will tarnish to a brown colour within a couple of months). The difference between oil and water gilding with other metal leafs is basically just the end product, I work mainly on glass and it gives a brighter mirror like finish to the gold( seems to have the same effect on canvas). Water size(glue) is made up with a 00 size gelatin capsule and 250ml water, I usually slowly melt a broken capsule into the water over a very low heat until you can’t see any more bits, then put into a air tight container where it will keep for at least a few weeks ( this is quiet a bit but is hard to make it much smaller)( maybe could use half a cap and half the water). Dutch/Shlag or imitation gold is just brass with a good golden colour and is the most common and cheapest. 23 carat is the most common and widely available of the real gold leaf and should be handled with a gilders tip which is a flat very soft squirrel hair brush( which I don’t know about elsewhere but here in OZ are hideously expensive) otherwise it sticks to your skin if you touch it with your fingers and will wrinkle and break very easily. It is much more expensive but does give a amazing finish in the right applications……..don’t know if I have been any help but it is one thing other than kids I know alot about!! :wave:

Mary Woodul

Thank you! :D This sounds much easier that gluing with the varnish I was using, that then makes your brush get sticky and you end up making a mess with your gold leaf. I gilded the clothes of a St. Michael sculpture that I had carved by a wood carver, and I painted over the gilding with oil in some parts to leave a colonial design on the clothes. I had three comission for St. Michaels after that, but I am not happy with the way my gilding is done comparing it to the Mexican Colonial Sculptures, I see in some art galleries.

javadog

I would love to see a pic of your work…….not sure but I use a product that is called gold size to do my oil gilding, it is some sort of varnish but is purpose made for gold leafing- might make it easier for to work with. :wave:

Mary Woodul

Tomorrow I’ll take a picture of the gilding with the paint design over it. Here they sell something called “banana mixion” for gilding. It has a very strong oder but I prefer the flatting varnish that I use.

pakc

I use the compostion gold leaf on my mixed media paintings….and I use the acrylic medium to paste it down…..I switch brushes from applying the medium to a dry brush for applying the gold leaf….and then I very lightly tamp it down with a dry finger if there is any bubbles….and I mean dry.

I will on occassion apply a medium over the gold leaf but it will dull the look so it depends on what I am after as to how I will finish.

I like the other composition leaves as well and have also bought the glue with the kit but found that the acrylic medium works as well.

The dust powders give a metallic glow and you can achieve a transition from a light metallic look to a heavy coat….depending on how you blow it off or apply it. I will on occasion drop the metallic powder into an acrylic wash area then let the water move the powders around and when it dries the powder will adhere to the surface in a random manner, again in subtle light to heavy.

I also use interference paints to get another metallic look to the paint.

good luck and working with metallics is a lot of fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.