WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2019, 10:39 PM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia
How do I learn this style?

A little background; I'm self taught and have been painting for 11 years. I've used most mediums and am not terrible at any of them. But time after time I come back to watercolours as I enjoy those the most.

What I really want to do now is vastly improve my skills at creating art like that in the example that I'm attaching (which comes from, Beautiful Darkness, Ghibli and Atelier Sento). The problem is, having come from observational art I don't know how to learn this illustrative, more abstracted style. Whenever I try, it just never looks quite right. I've attached some examples of my own recent work.

I've tried googling for classes or tutorials using every combination of keywords I can imagine but am yet to find anything that even remotely resembles the style I'm trying for.

I'd really appreciate any advice about how to move towards what I'm trying to do from where I am, because without knowing what I'm doing "wrong", I can't fix it.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 09:25 PM
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: How do I learn this style?

I know a bit about Studio Ghibli-rather than watercolour they use a gouache type paint for their backgrounds-Nickers poster colour. Cheap in Japan but expensive to import to Australia. The greens are very characteristic and layered-somewhere on YouTube I found a demonstration of how they were done

https://youtu.be/FTZhMGMe3SU

Itís very fluid use of semi-opaque paint with linework low contrast done with a brush rather than paint. Gouache paint used thinly could give some of the same effects. The other artists I donít know and they look more conventional watercolour and ink, but again with the ink being brush rather than pen and lower contrast than black Indian ink and more fluid in line than can be done with a multiliner or similar fineliner. All the Japanese animation artists seem to masters of aerial perspective.

Your pictures seem to be heading in the right direction, especially the toadstools, but compared to the Japanese work, they have higher contrast between line and colour, different colour palette, and are flatter- they donít use aerial perspective in as sophisticated manner. Miles better than anything I could do!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
W Ontario

Hails from Canada

Looks very much like a production sheet on how an animated show would look or should look.
Its very nice none the less.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:39 PM

Hails from United States

There are no wrongs in drawing. I do love your anime-style attempt with the young girl and the flower. I find looking at drawing books helpful, as well as other artistsí work!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2019, 08:33 PM

You might find this interesting:
http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...-miyazaki.html

The skill I draw on the most when working in the anime style is what I learned in life drawing. For me, it was easier to stylize the human figure when I understood the anatomy and proportions.

You've made a good start. Maybe rather than looking for tutorials just keep practicing and observing? Miyazaki spent years behind the scenes in animation studios honing his craft.