Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Anybody actually painting with DS Primatek paints?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

I see a lot of talk and a few swatches of these ‘natural’ pigment paints, but I never see any paintings made either exclusivly with Primateks or with Primateks making up a large portion of the painting.

So is anyone actually painting in a traditiomal sense with these or are they best reserved for novelty uses and special effects? I’d LOVE to see some pictures of finished work using these paints if anyone can post them!

This was done with rhodonite genuine. I found it challenging to achieve good, saturated darks:

This was painted with green apatite. I liked working with it, but I don’t have much use for the colour so I gave it to one of my home schooled children:

I used the interference colours on the hummingbird of this painting. But, once framed, it was difficult to see and appreciate the shimmer. I gave these paints away also:

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

This was painted with green apatite.

Those are lovely.

I know what you mean about getting deep darks. So far I have only experience with the Lapis Genuine. It is pretty lackluster and basically goes from tube consistency to light wash with no gradation in between. I’m not sure what I’ll do with it but it does add gorgeous granulation to colors when mixed.

What did you mix with the green apatite to get that turquoise car? How is the mixability?

Cyntada

I don’t paint with them exclusively, but Green Apatite and Jadeite are the only two greens on my palette. I paint lots of green corporate landscaping with them!

These are mostly from sketchbooks, 6″ x 9″ pages.

Green Apatite on the background date palm, Jadeite on the foreground Queen Palm fronds. That one’s near black in masstone. (I used a little white gouache here and there):

This dude’s mostly Green Apatite:

GA again on the Crepe Myrtle:

I used to use more Purpurite. Here’s a restaurant featuring it for the wall color:

This is probably the most strenuous workout I’ve ever given to one of these paints. It’s three pigments, Ultramarine Blue, PO48 Quin Burnt Orange, and Purpurite. I laid down UMB and PO48 as a base, then absolutely hosed on the Purpurite. There’s a partial WIP thread if you want to see some close-ups. (This painting is a quarter sheet.)

It has a more sedate eighth-sheet preliminary workup which has its own WIP thread.

I’ve got 10 of the Primateks, one iridescent, and a duotone. These three have gotten the most attention. The others are nice, but don’t really do much that other, more useful pigments can’t cover just as well. I am starting to rethink Sodalite though. It’s got so much punch as a deep gray, I’m getting tempted to replace the UMB/Burnt Sienna premix and see how it does.

CK =)
        I take great comfort in knowing that my genuine typos will probably be blamed on some device's autocorrect. :angel:
        DIY art supplies, sketches, and more: cyntada.com / @cyntada

I don’t paint with them exclusively, but Green Apatite and Jadeite are the only two greens on my palette. I paint lots of green corporate landscaping with them!

These are mostly from sketchbooks, 6″ x 9″ pages.

Wow, thanks for that.

I love the beach scene. Such depth.

Which other 10 primateks do you have and what tubes did they fail to replace?

Did you not finish the WIP. It’s a great read and I’d love to see how you finished it!

LuckyLaura

I paint with them but it would be difficult to paint a picture with them exclusively. Maybe a seascape or some florals would work. But the line lacks the reds and yellows that you need for other subjects. Since the paints granulate quite a bit, I love using them for the backgrounds of portraits, especially blue apatite and jadeite.

star fisher

I received some recently as a gift. Two of the colors are being used in a painting I’m working on now. The rhodonite was just the right color for this painting.

I love Daniel Smith primatek paints. I have most of the colors at this point and my favorites among those are Jadite, Sleeping beauty turquoise, Amethyst, Rhodonite, Sodalite genuine. They are nice pigments with great intensity. The Amethyst is nearly black in mass tone and works well as a shadow color. The rhodonite is a luscious magenta color

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][FONT="Impact"]Experience: It's what you get when you don't get what you wanted in the first place!
                C&C always welcome, I am here to work and observe other's work and learn from it as well.:music:

The Koala used a lot of jadite, green apatite, sodalite, and Amethyst as well as some sleeping beauty turquoise. Here’s a small painting that almost exclusively used primatek colors

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][FONT="Impact"]Experience: It's what you get when you don't get what you wanted in the first place!
                C&C always welcome, I am here to work and observe other's work and learn from it as well.:music:

AnnaLisa

Wow, thanks for showing us all these colorful beautiful paintings!!!

That was a good question of Jason. I have been wondering if people use them
                    in sketchbooks because it can be a little bit pricy if one is a beginner and using several of them for sketching….

A little goes a long way! They are very high quality pigments with good intensity! The duo chrome and irridescent lines are pretty nice too and would really jazz up your journal! I use them for large and small paintings and working in journals. Every once in awhile I splurge and treat myself to a tube or two of the more rare and expensive colors and use them sparingly, but I will use them all up eventually. I try to buy them on ebay as I can often find them for half to three quarters of the price I’d have to pay retail.

AnnaLisa

Nice colors Susan Hill !

Thanks for telling about using the paint. I have some primatek that I have put in a couple of palettes but didn’t know if I should use them in my travel boxes. So if little goes a long way I can use them in my travel journals.

I bought them for original price except for the small 6 tubes set that had a nice price. Also I can believe that it is more fun to sketch if you have good paint and paper.

AnnaLisa

Susan Hill, I forgot to ask you what paper did you use for this painting?
                            It looks nice. Is it rough paper?

I’m sorry… my car was painted with amazonite genuine. I had to check my notes. It really is a pretty colour, but with limited use for my subjects. And my cobalt turquoise from Holbein does just as well.

I used the apatite in some sketches for evergreen trees and such, but it looks so much like my M. Graham sap green that I never replaced the tube.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.