WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Partner: Sakura Color Products of America
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 PM

Sakura request - Micron Pens

I don't know if this is the right area for this - but I LOVE my Micron pens - so much better to use than my rapidographs - no clogging - evry size to suit my needs - however I could really use a 50% black.

Here is what I mean, I do all my work in black ink only on paper, before micron I used black drawing ink in rapidograph pens - then i discovered Micron and my drawing life changed. I also used to dilute my black in with distilled water to get a lighter shade that is sometimes needed to give the details and shading I want. Micron pens have a lot of shades, but not in 005 size and also not a technically 50% black or say 30% black - the warm and cold grays available are not the same result as with ink diluted.

check here to see some micron drawing examples and what I mean.

http://www.fireflightphoto.com/Artwork028.html

The shades of black are done with diluted ink, but a pen from Sakura with similiar color to diluted ink would be AMAZING......

Please Micron !!

Am I the only one who thinks this would be really useful ?

Regards
Robert Andersen

Last edited by rjanders003 : 01-03-2013 at 09:37 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 AM

Re: Sakura request - Micron Pens

Taking what I was talking about a litttle further to explain to Sakura, here is a section of a pen and ink drawing done with black micron pens and diluted ink done with a paintbrush. The blue circles highlighted show areas of softer black, this is the effect that would be so powerful to artist. Its still black ink, its just slight diluted - so to speak.

You can see throughout the drawing the effect of the lighter ink, it really adds to the quality of the final look, without it the drawing would not be the same. There is no color in the lineup that really reflects this effect which to me as a pen and ink artist is very powerful and part of my kit. The grays offered are more true grays, that stand apart from ink work and doesn't blend as well.

I am hoping someone from Sakura can see the power of such pens, I am sure they would sell...

Regards
Robert Andersen
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM
California

Hails from United States

Thank you for your suggestion. We've heard this request for the past 10 years and are aware of the large demand, but without getting into too much detail this is technically a very difficult product to produce. Companies who create similar products may have done so without the use of pigments (i.e. dyes). We hold our Pigma ink to extremely high standards and because of this have not come out with grey toned Pigma ink. Thank you for writing and asking!

- Leslie from Sakura
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM

Thanks for responding - I am still hoping you will make it happen....

I am curious - I do it by diluting the ink with distilled water - something like that is not possible with your pens ? --> rather than making a gray equivalent.

I have used diluted ink in most of my drawings - some going back 30 years that still look awesome framed

Anyways, its just a thought

Robert Andersen
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 PM

Sorry to butt in. I don't profess to know anything about the pens, but from a pure chem perspective:

If the inks are indeed pigments, then dilution would change the properties of the ink. The suspension/microemulsion? would break apart, it'd affect stability and all. I'd imagine a good (viscous) suspension vehicle for diluted ink would not work with the narrow tip well...

What ink did you thin down, for your greys? I'm thinking of doing some ink drawings with my noodlers HoD, it worked for me before. I've never used greys tho.

(Hey, 2 years of learning about this gotta count somewhere :P).
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2013, 09:33 PM

Gonna have one more go at it !!!

Come On Sakura - You can do this

It is not grey (gray) I am asking for - it's technically dilluted black - there is a difference

for me 1/8 oz distilled water with 30 drops Rapidograph India Ink - I have been doing this for years (since 1980) - I will use more drops to get darker dilluted black

Here is an 800dpi sample from my latest drawing just posted in the main pen and ink section

Robert Andersen

Last edited by rjanders003 : 05-02-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: forgot to insert picture
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Lansing, MI

Hails from United States

If it could truly be produced without adversely affecting quality, I would definitely buy them. I love working with Micron pens.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Erie, PA

Hails from United States

I love my Micron pens too and would be interested in a larger variety and options
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2015, 12:46 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

I must have two thousand of these microns --I think I am a Sakura impulse buyer but i use them all the time. While I like them for lining and and such, I still wish I could vary pressure while using the pen. Is this possible. I would love to do this to achieve different line weights without having to constantly change pens. Strange question, I know but thought I would ask.

Also, side note--I have a Sakura Electric Erasure--have had it for over 5 years now--i have still yet to change out the battery and it purrs like a kitten--nice work!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2016, 10:55 AM
Jakarta

Hails from Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrumpler
Thank you for your suggestion. We've heard this request for the past 10 years and are aware of the large demand, but without getting into too much detail this is technically a very difficult product to produce. Companies who create similar products may have done so without the use of pigments (i.e. dyes). We hold our Pigma ink to extremely high standards and because of this have not come out with grey toned Pigma ink. Thank you for writing and asking!

- Leslie from Sakura
I really hope your R&D scientists figure something out, because I would love a grey 005 Micron. That would be awesooome!