Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery Advice for a portrait WIP

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Misspris

Okay so this is my second attempt at this same portrait of my 4 yr old son Rowan. The 1st one I couldn’t get a smooth blend for the life of me, and realized I was using a 320 grit I believe of Colorfix paper, so I started a new one on Pastelmat and am getting better results, but am still having a hard time. I was having a hard time choosing the correct tones. My 1st attempt it seemed everything was too dark, so I tried going lighter the second time around, but now I feel as though my shadows aren’t dark enough or are they okay?
        I tried at first to just layer the pastels but since I don’t have the exact colors I need I have to blend two colors and without blending it didn’t look smooth enough, but right as soon as I do the pastels loose that sparkle to them. Is there a trick to it? I’m on the 3rd layer, I feel like if I keep layering and blending I’m just going to muddy everything up, which I felt started happening in the first attempt. I’ve watched YouTube videos and it seems they lay down the color maybe a second layer and viola it’s perfect. With portraits is it common to not layer a lot, or should I just continue on layering and it will come together. And background color, I tried using the colors that where in the background of the photo, but I think perhaps another color would suite it better any color suggestions? Any advice is welcomed, thank you.

water girl

You are on the right track, but I’ll defer to our portrait experts. Just remember that the shadows in your photo are probably too dark, unless you are going for a portrait of a fisherman in the glaring sun, with wide brimmed hat. If layering is intimidating you, just use a lighter hand. Many light layers work for me, rather than 2 or 3 heavy layers. Let’s hear from our portrait friends.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

Humburger

Well, I am no expert. And it depends on what you are looking to achieve. But, I am learning not to blend so much or to blend using the pastel stick. Also, blending to get a new color doesn’t work very well with pastels. I am not familiar with the papers you are using, but I use many, many layers. Layering color on top of color until I get what I want. Also, after all that anyone can tell you, practice is the best way to learn. You will learn from practice how your pastels work with your paper. You will learn your own way of doing things that will work for you. I know how you may be banging your head on the wall, but the best thing you can do is just keep going.

It looks pretty good, right now. It looks like you have a fair selection of colors. Don’t try to stick exactly to what you see. Branch out and use what colors you have. Purples in the shadows, light greens on the highlights, etc. Play and learn.

I need to stop typing. I could go on forever… LOL!

Ginny
                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                C & C Welcome

Pastel is a great medium but the main problem is that you need many sticks. In order to avoid to create mud do not blend. The reference photo is also too dark and complicate matters. For the shadows use violets of different values. Also try grayed colors at the beginning and gradually apply lighter colors.
                Also using hard pastels sharpened to a point like pencils for the drawing of the eyes. Your resemblance is great, so do not give up.

Mamalynn

I think your portrait is really coming along! I would put more of a shadow on the forehead and eyes but of course remember that photos often render shadows too dark and lights too light. As for blending, I wouldn’t–as you say, it deadens the pastel. I agree with Moises that you might try sharpening some nupastels or any hard ones and use strokes and layers of color. I find that using the softies last on top of the hard pastels works best for me. My long time instructor, Carol Peebles (google her portraits) always advises to leave the breath of the paper between strokes and I have found that if you step back from the piece you might like that look. Even if you want a more painterly approach with soft pastels, I find it best to lay down the stroke and leave it alone, optically blending over time. One trick with hard pastels that works for blending is to lightly go over whole sections lightly with a sharp pastel pencil, it tends to unify the piece. For example, go over the face with a green pencil if it is looking to warm or a sanguine if you need more warmth. Last thought is to watch Ellen Eagle’s videos by New Masters Academy. You can watch her lay down every stroke and many many layers. Very helpful to watch. Hope some of this helps.

Hi Miss,

I think the previous advice is useful. I also believe you’ve got a good start and have developed a nice base to work on. Further advice is tricky as it depends upon how you might want to finish the portrait. If you choose to stay with a tonal, earthy palette, I’d grab those earth and skin tones out and layer away. In some areas you may try allowing the colors to optically blend. When I’ve used the harder sticks and pastel pencils, I’ve found that I can use those to do any of the blending I might need, leaving a fresher looking surface. The hardest thing for me to learn with pastels is that the mixing of colors happens on the surface, rather than on a palette.

Take any breaks you need to so that you can sit in front of this burgeoning portrait of your son calmly and give it the love it needs.

John

Life is but a Dream

Misspris

Thank you all for the advice. I did need to leave it be for a couple days but plan to work on it again today. The reference photo is much darker in the pic than in real life, though it was dark and I tried lightening it up on the computer, but couldn’t get the contrast and lightening as good as I would have liked, and believe that was the issue with the first attempt trying to copy a reference that didn’t have the best lightening in it, I tried to go a a value or two lighter with this one.
                        Moises, I am using Mungyo semi hard sticks, that I was afraid to sharpen to a point in fear of wasting so much of the pastel in the sharpening process, but I guess what you lose in pastel you gain in usability. I will try to do any blending with the hard pastel, instead of my fingers.
                        Mamalynn, I will find Carols videos and give them a watch, thank you. I will add more shadow as well, I was a bit afraid as I didn’t want him to look like he had 2 black eyes, lol, but it does need a bit more.
                        Hamburger, go on, I truly appreciate all the advice I get here from wetcanvas members, and take it all in. I even plan to finish my first attempt, if not only for not wasting the paper, pastel and time, but to gain the practice. Thank you all again, I plan on taken all the advice I’ve been given and apply it to my practice.

water girl

Just a thought. You could also use pastel pencil for light blending.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

This is really great! Don’t give up or get too discouraged. To my eye it looks like you have a great solid foundation here, and you are on the way to a nice finished painting. You took on a big challenge here for a beginner too, a portrait of someone you know and love. Take other’s advice, relax and enjoy it, take plenty of breaks and it will be fine! I’m anxious to see the finished piece!

Misspris

Richard, thanks for the encouragement. I planned on working on it yesterday but life got in the way so today I plan to get some work done on it. I always end up choosing ambitious paintings for myself, and during the painting process I always have this feeling of frenzy and not knowing what I’m doing, and curse myself, you should have just done an eye study, what have you gotten yourself into, why…lol. I do plan on posting the finished piece, though when I post on this site the pics always upload fuzzy, I know it’s off topic but does anyone know why or how to fix that? Seems like the pics I view of others look crisp.

Look, that happens to me all the time! When I start a work at the beginning it looks bad and I get disappointed and I need to take a break. When I get back I notice the problem and fix it. Then it happens again, and again, and finally I put all the puzzles together and I finish with a decent work.
                                What I have learned about pastel is that you need pastel pencils, hard pastels Prismacolor at least a box containing 48 sticks. Mungyo is a good brand and it could be used as a soft pastel at times. I use my Nu-pastel (Prismacolor) at the beginning of my work, and also pastel pencils for the drawings and very slowly build up the values. A good video is presented by Daniel Greene where he explains very well the process of portraiture using pastels.

Ron

Good start….keep going..looking forward to seeing this finished!

About photos…make sure you hold really still (obviously:) Make sure lenses are clean. You can use tripod and use self timer to take really still photos without movement. Phone cameras arent too bad. I use mine for wetcanvas or facebook posting, but I have to remember to hold really still and make sure lenses are clean. Take photos with something that has enough pixels that if your photo is resized it doesnt become too pixelated (like 10 megapixel camera minimum for example). Just throwing out some ideas for you….

Dea

You have got a great start and good advise, one thing to remember is your colours don’t have to be exactly the same as in the photo so don’t stress if you don’t have the right coloured pastels as long as you get the values right you can fudge on the colour.
                                        As Karen says pastel pencils do come in handy for the small details.
                                        Deanna

Deanna Field

"You can own the Earth and still, all you own is earth untill, you can paint with all the colours of the wind." Disney's Pocohontas.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.