Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Welcome to What’s on Your Easel…March 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    !becca

Welcome to WOYE March 2017…Post your works in progress here so long as they are in oils…everyone is welcome!!! :wave:

for a more complete critique post in the main forum.

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
        Becca's Fine Art

Well i started working on this order, i got the order after a guy saw my last painting with the skull and forest thingy… the guy said just paint whatever you want so i am doing that :D i hope he will like it.

Any input will be apreciated, i will post it in the critique forum when its finished to get even more input.

Cheers to you all, cant wait to see what all you have in store for this month.

Sam :)

Can’t believe it’s March already. I got to finish these two this month or I won’t fulfil my promise to paint one painting per month this year…

mtpalms

Nice work, Dean & Sam. :thumbsup:

A portrait is a painting with something wrong with the mouth.

I thought today went well and believed I could wrap this painting up quickly. Until I stepped back for the final time, and realized, ‘3 steps forward 2 steps back’. Or maybe the other way around. :rolleyes:

The good news is that I know what needs fixing. :)

New link to my latest work.[/url]
                "The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier they dug on hallowed ground
                But the tomb of the unknown artist is nowhere to be found."

moscatel

Dean, looks interesting. It’s so early stage that I can’t really say anything bc I don’t yet know what direction you are going to go with it. Congrats on the commission.

Sam, just found the little guy in the first landscape painting. It’s giving huge size for the bones. Wonderful work. Interesting angle on the other painting, adult and child.

Marcia, it seems that they never wrap up fast, always so much work, (side comment: I think clients don’t recognize that). You have difficult angle but very interesting painting here. Lots of light.

Here is what is on my easel this month. The smaller ones are original plein airs but finishing them now in the studio. The big one is from several photo refs and some imagination. Some of these might go to an exhibition where I need to put together and hang 20 paintings:

You guys are doing very well. Nice one Dean. I loved your paintings Sam, great job! Keep it up Marcia, try putting your reference side by side with your painting and cover one eye, it’s worked wonders for me. Awesome job Moscatel, keep going please!

Here is what’s on my easel now. No, no more nudes for a while. Just a blonde girl knitting in a garden with a hanging chair. With a cat. Going to paint the cat now.

Ariel R. G. H. - My Website - My Facebook artist page - My DeviantArt
                    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Allan Poe, Eleonora

Hnev128

Working on this with an instructor. Far from finished but starting to take shape

mtpalms

Keep it up Marcia, try putting your reference side by side with your painting and cover one eye, it’s worked wonders for me.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

midwest

This was a fun piece. My grandson last summer.

Kathie :
                                AnnieA

Marcia, nice start on the new piece. I’m cudious about what you’ll do with the rest of the bacground. I liks the multiple components. Do they all have symbolic meaning?

Sam, what’s the story on the first one? It’s intriguing. The portrait of the mother and child is very nicely done – a sensitive piece.

Marcia, the portrait looks good to me – nice job on the skin tones.

mosc, all three of those cityscapes are terrific! …especially the big one.

Ariel, Good job on capturing gesture in the lady in the hammock painting.

hney, I like the start on your landscape. The light quality is really nice.

Kathie, what a sweet scene, and nicely painted too. Something to treasure.

Here’s what I’ve been working on:

I decided to try to make the sky a little less busy. In the actual painting, the sky is not quite so gray, but I may have toned it down just a tad too much from the earlier version. And the trees on the left are not quite so dark. Because like Marcia’s portrait painting, this was a two steps back revision, I still have the same things to finish as the last time I posted it. Marcia, you were right about the trees on the left looking a little flat before. I worked on it, but they may still need a bit more revision. They’re threatening to be too dominant, so it’s tricky.

Is the photo ok? It looks fine on my tiny tablet, but who knows what it’ll look like in the morning on my bigger screen.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                    [FONT=Palatino]
                                    “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

mtpalms

Annie, the photo looks good, but I am als on a tablet right now. I think you may have confused me with Dean’s new piece? The skull looks a lot like the one I just finished. i had to do a double take myself!

The portrait is just ‘okay’ at this point. I can see where things are slightly off, and since I am painting it for my own pleasure(?), I don’t care so much if it gets overworked a little, as long as I am satisfied with it. I really need to practice more on faces and figures. And I am definitely going to try Ariel’s suggestion.

Kathie, I just love yours! The spontaneity is wonderful!

Beginnerjesjr

I hope I did this right I am still really struggling with the forum… anyway where is what is on my easel drying at the moment.. I generally manage about two paintings a month sometimes more and am just beginning.. I am feeling rather rank amateur compared to most of you fellow posters. I welcome any comments or constructive helps / criticisms. Been at this with oils since Dec. 2017 and Acrylic for about a year before.

Beginnerjesjr

Katie I love it! It portrays such sweetness and innocence. Love your color choices and the way you didn’t get to torn up about details and focus has kind of a Monet/impressionist quality I think. John

mtpalms

You have a nice start Beginnerjesjr. I would suggest using a bigger brush, maybe even a fan brush and experiment with making your palm fronds in one or two strokes, instead of painting in each leaf. The clouds nearer the top should be much bigger compared to the ones in the middle, it is a perspective thing. Make the clouds one the horizon a little more indistinct.

I started this one yesterday:
                                                    It did not photograph well. The sky is not that pale, and the middle and foregound are not that dark. I probably should have put it sideways to photograph it.

midwest

Thank you, Annie, MTpalms, and beginnerges. I was mainly concerned with the cat’s sneakiness and my grandsons excitement.

Kathie :
                                                      Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.