Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Palette Talk Favourite Street View Painting Locations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 276 total)
  • Author

As you probably know, I’m a huge fan of Google Street View and love to explore on screen.

If you have some favourite street view locations which would make good paintings, why not post them on this thread? I’ll start the ball rolling with one from Kettlewell.

Here’s the link.

You can of course explore that location.

To capture a scene from Street View, click the full screen icon top right then press Prt Scn next to f12 to copy it to the clipboard then open your paint program and CTRL+V to paste it in.

To get a link to the location press the link icon top left of the street view image and choose short url then copy the code. EDIT: THis has been changed of late to a “Copy the URL” link.

Google permits the use of Street View images as references for paintings and you may sell the resulting paintings. This was determined by the Virtual Paintout[/URL] bloggers.

[B]Google approves using Street View for art![/B]

After speaking with Google’s Maps Team, it has been determined that artists can use images from Google Street View as reference for creating paintings and drawings, and the artists can sell these works.

One thing that needs to be made clear. If the artist shows an original view on which a painting is based, i.e. the original screenshot, make sure to keep the Google logo and copyright visible on that screenshot. No logos or mention of Google is necessary on your art itself. As an example, if you show your Street View art in a gallery and want to show the reference beside the painting, the reference would have the logo, not your painting.

PS I found the Permissions page on Google which explains your rights to use Streetview images.[/URL]

EDIT: OK I managed to make a little video on capturing a scene.

[antv]p1BTpY_Q3-4[/antv]

Sorry I couldn’t fully demonstrate pasting it into my graphics program, a quirk of the Snagit video capture program i was using.

Hope that helps.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

WthrLady

I love traveling through google street vies to explore! Although it makes me really motion sick. It’s been a while since I’ve used it. Maybe during breaks today.

shipbroker

I have only used it a couple of times to find farmyard entrances for caravan rallies……never for painting………but then apart from my iPod Touch I am very low-tech…when Caryl mentioned Google Reader closing I had never heard of it.

geoff

" This is a wonderful day, I have never seen this one before" -Maya Angelou

seedy

I was just thinking about using Street View last week. It would have been somewhat ridiculous for Google to not allow the use of their street scenes since one can just visit the area with a camera….or heaven forbid…..do it PA.
                At least we know where we stand.
                “Virtual Paintout” is an interesting site./
                Thanks for doing this, Doug.

Brian.
                Keep your stick on the ice. Red Green
                http://ottawaartassociation.ca/gallery/artist/brian-seed-0

olliewood0702

LOVE this; great views for ref pics. It can make one motion sick though ((Caryl)).

There isn’t anywhere in the world we cannot visit now-a-days. ;)

Darla

If I create from the heart, nearly everything works: if from the head, almost nothing. — Marc Chagall

Mayberry

Okay, I will try this. I went to one of my favorite places – Carmel-by-the-Sea, Calif, on Scenic Drive. Of course, it was cloudy. Thanks, Doug, for letting us know how to do this. I’ve browsed Google Map Street View before, but didn’t know how to save images.

link: http://goo.gl/maps/AF2VY

Not the best scene, but kind of pretty. I went a few miles away to 17 Mile Drive, and unfortunately although it was sunny weather there, it was right at sunset and there was strong glare when looking toward the beach.

D’Lady

Awesome thread! I’ll take some screen shots of some of my favorite places next time I’m roaming. :)

-DragonLady

Which would be the bigger waste:
                            your art supplies, or your creative soul?

Mayberry

Hwy 1, between Carmel and Big Sur.

link: http://goo.gl/maps/cSgfS

juneto

Doug , I got to pasting the URl and got lost in a balloon !:lol: :lol: Where do you find the URL and how would I paste it to Picasa , Please !
                                    June:o :o :o :)

Follow your Bliss and the Universe will open doors for you , where there were only walls. Joseph Campbell

http://blogmomcom.blogspot.com/

Beautiful spot, Mayberry, will have to look over that way.

This is one I painted a couple of years ago, when I was yearning for warmth in the middle of Winter. It is facing east, so looking into the sunset, so I added some colour (too much!).

Beach Access 2, Gulf Drive, Ft. Myers Beach, Florida

Link
                                    And this is the painting

It was a fun project!

Thanks for the prompt, Doug, I just spent half an hour in Vilnuis, Lithuania where Bill has us going this month, but couldn’t find something I liked. There are quite a few interesting ones already completed on Bill’s website, though.

Edit: I added the link below the Google view.

Cheers, Lynn
                                    www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/lynn-macintyre
                                    "Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

June, to use Streetview go to https://maps.google.com/ and type in a place name. If you are lucky there will be a slider on the left with a orange man symbol. If you drag the man onto the screen the roads where streetview is available will be highlighted in blue. You drop the man where you want to see the view at street level. You can use the mouse to turn around and by clicking the arrows go forwards and backwards down the street.

Once you get the streetview picture you want up on screen then if you have a PC you press the Prt Sc/Sys Rq key to copy the image onto the clipboard. You then open your paint programme and press CTRL and V together to paste it onto the screen. You can then save it or print it out.

If you want to see a link to the location when you have it on screen you click the link icon top left of the picture and copy the link or short url if you click the box. You can then paste the url into your post.

I’m having internet problems at the moment, but when I get my broadband back I’ll make a video and post it on Youtube.

PS Super painting Lynn.

Doug

Here’s a shot of Yosemite NP:

Link

Doug

Thanks, Doug. I added the link to my location.

That’s a super one, I’ll have to see if you can see El Capitan from that road.

Cheers, Lynn
                                    www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/lynn-macintyre
                                    "Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

D’Lady

Are the faces blurred out in Google Pro, too? I’ve often been tempted to give it a try, but am not sure it’s worth the $$ to me. Anyone have it want to tell what the pro’s and con’s are?

-DragonLady

D’Lady

These are snaps of the giant lion statue on Tropicana Ave in Las Vegas. It took a lot of effort to get three good views, as there always seemed to be a pole or something in the way. If I get any more or better captures in the future I’ll upload them.

The curved wall behind the lion is a waterfall, with little colored lights behind it. In the third image, right under the “+” on the view slider, you can see a little smudge. That’s a bird. Apparently they love the water; sometimes there are a dozen or more flying in and out of the shower and drying in the sun on the statue and surrounding structures.

-DragonLady

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 276 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.