Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Replacements for Cadmium Colors

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

I’ve heard that Hansa Yellow is a good replacement for Cadmium Yellow, and that Naphthol Red can be used in place of Cadmium Red. Would it be wise to switch to these colors in order to avoid the toxicity of the cadmium colors and cut costs on the paint? Or will my paintings suffer from the lack of those vivid cadmium colors?

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

Anonymous

I have done just what you descibe and I suffer no loss of vividness, just less loss of bucks on my paint buying trips. But don’t expect them to mix as strong or opaque as cadmiums. I use PY1, 3, 73 and 74 for bright yellows in several brands and PR112, 188, and 170 in napthols. PR254, and 255 Pyroles like WN Bright Red or Winsor Red or Rembrandt permanent red are also a very good sub for cad red.

If they are not as strong as the Cadmiums in mixtures, then I won’t switch out. My paintings need all the help they can get.

Yesterday I went out plein air painting, wore a surgical glove on my left hand and still got cad yellow and cad red on my right hand. Pouring water from a bottle and wiping my hand on a paper towel just doesn’t work as well as soap and water in the studio.

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

Carey Griffel

Baby wipes!!

:)

* Zaney Zebras (blog) * facebook art page * facebook floral design page * Recipe Blog *
            "...I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived." ---Henry David Thoreau

midwest

Carey, somebody said to get the wipes that are for greasecutting. I have looked at several but haven’t seen any that say they are more effective on grease. If the babywipes are are good, that would sure be better on your hands.

Kathie :
                Carey Griffel

Kathie, well I’m sure someone somewhere makes special grease-cutting wipes, but I find the normal ones to work perfectly fine. I use them frequently when I’m in the midst of working with oil sticks when I can’t stop to constantly wash my hands, but I do get a bit of paint on myself in the process.

~!Carey

* Zaney Zebras (blog) * facebook art page * facebook floral design page * Recipe Blog *
                    "...I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived." ---Henry David Thoreau

cb3

You could also do a search for D-LEAD Wipes – said to get rid of heavy metals.

D-Wipe Towels

https://www.esca-tech.com/ProductList.php?category=1100

annie.nz

For easy washoff you might try Winsor and Newton Artguard barrier cream. You only need a little, it goes on easily, your hands feel normal (speaking as someone who can’t stand to use hand moisturisers), and paint smears, including cadmiums, wash off very easily with any soap or detergent. It’s pretty close to magic imo. I usually apply it up my arms as well since I am Pigpen’s older sister.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-artguard-barrier-cream/%5B/URL%5D

Having said that, I have been intending to write to W&N and ask if they have tested passage of cadmiums and lead through the cream, but haven’t got round to it, largely because the easy and complete washoff of even highly staining pigments indicates, to me anyway, that it is unlikely much gets through the barrier.

I’ve heard that Hansa Yellow is a good replacement for Cadmium Yellow, and that Naphthol Red can be used in place of Cadmium Red.

Both of those are kinda true but kinda not. In terms of straight colour – the paints used right as they are from the tube – there are alternate yellows and reds that are virtually identical, but as soon as you start using them and mixing with them they’re easy to tell apart.

As far as vividness goes, many of the alternatives actually provide higher chroma in mixtures, particularly with white since cads have relatively subdued tints.

Yesterday I went out plein air painting, wore a surgical glove on my left hand and still got cad yellow and cad red on my right hand. Pouring water from a bottle and wiping my hand on a paper towel just doesn’t work as well as soap and water in the studio.

Take a small bottle of baby oil with you.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

midwest

Great, I’ll just try babywipes.

Kathie :

The thing is, you can use all the non-toxic stuff you want, and you still might get hit by a bus.

I smoke a cigar (or two) every week, I drink Jack Daniels straight (in moderation), I paint with lead, cadmium, and cobalt paints–

–and I wash my hands regularly.

We’re all gonna die. I want to enjoy my life.

Forcing the waveform to collapse for two decades...
                                http://www.syntheticskystudios.com
                                Hilliard Gallery, Kansas City, "Small Works", December 2019

Adriantmax

I sometimes use Indian Yellow which is a transparent pigment that can pretty close to Cadmium Yellow deep when mixed with white. Not Cad Yellow light though.

Cadmium Yellow Deep
                                    http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/015/73/swatches/01573_CadmiumYellowDep-l.jpg

Indian Yellow
                                    http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/015/73/swatches/01573_Indianyellow-l.jpg

Anonymous

Keith, some of us also have reasons that aren’t related to our own health, it is just a “green” thing for myself if you know what I mean. That in and of itself just makes me feel better about it. I do a lot of cleaning and discarding of waste, etc. I still do use cads, cobalts, etc. like in the studio and but I oft don’t, for instance with plein air. Not using them is sort of beneficial in a way for many, you know just a head thing that eases their mind and I am all for things that ease the mind :lol:
                                        There is no rule that says “you must have more cads!”
                                        They didn’t exist for most of the history of oil painting and Remy didn’t have to worry about any buses hitting him :D (maybe back then the expression was ” watch out for that dude, he’ll throw you under the stagecoach!”

Goldeelocks

I use Acrylics, but I replaced cadmiums with pyrolle red , naphthol red and hansa yellow as a cadmium replacement. You can replace cadmium orange with pyrolle orange too.

Trying to learn painting by watching someone paint is like trying to lose weight by watching the Olympics.

Red 9

Lately I’ve been using Lefranc’s Chinese Red Vermilion more than my Cadmium Red Light. Even though it’s a mix of 2 pigments it still makes bright and clean mixes. For yellows I use Williamsburg’s Naples Yellow Italian and Graham’s Indian Yellow a lot. Still haven’t found a nice bright yellow that’s as lightfast as the cadmiums, however.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                              • The topic ‘Replacements for Cadmium Colors’ is closed to new replies.