Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Canvas paper pads pucker when using acrylics

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike_2000

Hello,

I am new to painting and use mostly canvas panels, but I have tried using canvas pads for practice work. However, I notice the paper puckers when I use acrylics, but when using oil they work perfectly. Is there a brand that’s works with acrylics, or a way to seal it prior to using them so they won’t pucker?

Thank you,

Mike

asmith38

Welcome to Wet Canvas!
            I use them, and they only buckle a little.

Do you gesso the paper on both side? Do you tape it or anchor it to something prior to painting? It may also depend on how much you dilute your paints.

What kind did you get? Many use watercolor paper, the heavier the better.

Ann-Yes
            From the Florida Keys... where your paint never dries ;)

Colleen66

I use the pads. I tape the larger size down but when doing a 5 x 7 or so I don’t tape and it works just fine. I think it also depends if your doing a large area of one color, it tends to warp a bit. When your doing a large one, after you have a coat of paint on the whole thing you can un-tape it and it should stay.

Colleen

bunford

When I use them, I tear out the sheets and tape down to a board with masking tape. They do warp a tiny bit if paint is overly wet/diluted as it is paper after all, which generally doesn’t react/absorb water and keep its shape. I use the Winsor & Newton pads of canvas textured paper for oil painting (and acrylics).

However, this is why I have recently began to buy rolls of canvas (only costs £2 for a 2 meter, 16″ wide roll in The Range in UK). I am also likely to buy canvas pads when I run out of current pads. These are actual canvas sheets rather than canvas textured paper. They sell a A4 ish sized canvas pad in The Works for £3 in UK. For better quality, companies like Fredrix also make canvas pads.

You will my recent thread here about canvas pads: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1364981

Winsor & Newton Thames Radial Easel, Winsor & Newton Artist oils, Winsor & Newton Artist acrylics, Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics, Daler Rowney System3 Heavy Body acrylics, Liquitex Basics acrylic paints, Golden mediums, Liquitex Freestyle brushes and lots of other brushes.

Feel free to browse my website here

Mike_2000

No, I don’t gesso them. Frankly, I never thought of doing that. I have tried a colored ground, but that is very thin and probably makes it worse.

I tried them with oil paints and they are perfect. I think the water content in the acrylics penetrates the paper and causes the puckering, where oils don’t have the issue.

I bought them to use as test panels; a sketch and dry run on less expensive canvas.

On another note, I have noticed the same using water based house paints on fresh wood; water based primer does not help. Oil based paints work perfectly.

I have thought about gessoed linen roll, if it turns out good stretch it or mount it, if not, into the bin.

Thanks,

Mike

bunford

From your post, I think the problem is your ground wash. As you say it is a thin wash, I am assuming that means it is quite water heavy. Water colour paper is the only paper designed specifically to absorb water without warping. Gessoing the paper might help stiffen the paper by sealing it up before the wash, but they should already be primed and sealed I imagine.

What I tend to do is put the wash on the day before I want to paint, and paint in during the day. Once the wash is dry I then place the paper under a heavy hardback book to weigh it down and flatten. The next day, when I tape it up to my board i don’t get any issues or warping as my paints if heavy body and hardly diluted much.

Winsor & Newton Thames Radial Easel, Winsor & Newton Artist oils, Winsor & Newton Artist acrylics, Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics, Daler Rowney System3 Heavy Body acrylics, Liquitex Basics acrylic paints, Golden mediums, Liquitex Freestyle brushes and lots of other brushes.

Feel free to browse my website here

Mike_2000

Bunford,

No, I tried it with and without wash, same results. Just doing paint charts for color blending does same, with straight paint, no water or retarder.

I just read the front chart and the paper states it’s good for acrylics and oils. And I’ve tried two different brands.

Thanks,

Mike

Guide

I use acrylic paper quite a bit. I adhere it to a piece of hardboard that has been sealed against SID (Substrate Induced Discoloration), allow that to dry and then use gloss gel medium to adhere the paper to the hardboard surface. The same can be done with canvas as well. Makes a great painting surface.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                                    The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                                    "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                                    "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Mike_2000

Idylbrush,

Is that permanant? The adhesision.

Thanks,

Mike

Guide

I have been using this method for years and it works well. If you have good adhesion to start with. I have developed a simple vacuum method to help insure a good tight adhesion. So far so good.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                                            The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                                            "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                                            "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Tripod

Yes I have had the same ORIGINAL problem when working in acrylics for my therapy, but have accepted it as they are not for gallery or sale,just my own experic=ence/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • The topic ‘Canvas paper pads pucker when using acrylics’ is closed to new replies.