Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Shutterbug Pub Shutterbug Pub Weekend, November 9 & 10, 2019

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Welcome to the weekend.

Yesterday was a busy and tiring but productive day. I checked two auto dealerships online and called each to verify stock on hand then we drove to one and wife took a short test drive and chose a color (only 2 choices available in their inventory – we went with metallic silver instead of white), haggled a bit over price (finally got them to match AAA and CostCo discounts we could get elsewhere, which saved almost 10% off sticker price). Long wait to finish paperwork and a SNAFU paying via debit card. Finally, after 4+ hours, we drove home in wife’s new Toyota Corolla hybrid. Today I need to order a quality outdoor car cover, an emergency kit, and a first aid kit.

Still going thru old photos that I recently recovered. I reprocessed these two that have similar colors.

1) On a bluff (I’m actually standing at the site of an old WWII gun turret) overlooking part of the Bolsa Chica Wetlands Ecological preserve in March 2005, looking approximately WNW. Los Angeles lies to the north (right in this photo) and the Huntington Beach pier and coastal communities of southern Orange County to the south (left). Foreground is the main channel of the wetlands back in 2005, then PCH (Pacific Coast Highway), the beach, the Pacific, and finally part of Long Beach, California along the horizon.

[Panasonic DMC-FZ20, built-in zoom, normal program mode at 12.7mm, 1/200 sec, f/4.0, ISO 80, reprocessed in PSCS5]

2) One of my favorite shots of the wetlands, taken at one of its lowest points back in January 2005 when we had a lot more water; this area is dry today. Reprocessed yesterday.

[Panasonic DMC-FZ20 with built-in zoom, normal program mode @ 6mm, 1/125 sec, f/4.0, ISO 80, reprocessed in PSCS5]

Congratulations on your wife’s new car. Does this mean you get to use her old one? My husband has got me thinking about a new car too. I don’t want to think about it. It actually makes me sick when I spend that kind of money. I get over I fast, but going through the shopping and decision making process is really tough on my blood pressure condition.

Interesting photographs, Dave. The sky in the first one is just beautiful and you really had a clear sky then looking at the structures in the distance. It has got to be sad to see that the wetlands have changed and you lost so much nature life.

Well, I don’t have anything to share right now. We just got back from visiting out daughter. It is cold and windy out but I think I shall grab my camera and go practice. Practice, practice, practice, makes me aware of how much more I have to practice. :lol:

Have a good Saturday all and Thanks DAVE for staring the weekend thread.
        LORELL

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
        Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Anonymous

Congratulations on your wife’s new car. Does this mean you get to use her old one? My husband has got me thinking about a new car too. I don’t want to think about it. It actually makes me sick when I spend that kind of money. I get over I fast, but going through the shopping and decision making process is really tough on my blood pressure condition.

Interesting photographs, Dave. The sky in the first one is just beautiful and you really had a clear sky then looking at the structures in the distance. It has got to be sad to see that the wetlands have changed and you lost so much nature life.

Well, I don’t have anything to share right now. We just got back from visiting out daughter. It is cold and windy out but I think I shall grab my camera and go practice. Practice, practice, practice, makes me aware of how much more I have to practice. :lol:

Have a good Saturday all and [B]Thanks DAVE[/B] for staring the weekend thread.
            LORELL

Lorell, I don’t enjoy the actual buying process (the haggling, trying to figure out when the saleperson is lying, all the paperwork, etc.) but I’m pretty good at researching and deciding what to buy. Yes I’ll take over her old Corolla after we pick it up from the service department on Monday – an unexpected $700 expense. And yesterday I ordered a good quality outdoor-rated car cover. Now I need to find someone to haul away the old, dead MR2.

Yeah, it is sad how much the wetlands have suffered. But it’s not all bad: a few years ago they reconnected the main channel of the wetlands to the ocean (its natural state and as it was many years ago), and that’s a very good thing.

Speaking of the great outdoors – stay warm and safe out there.

A couple of shots of the new hybrid. I’m not a big fan of the silver color but it’s better than white, which was the only other option the dealer had. We’re estimating that her monthly gasoline expense will drop by about 60%, and with California having the nation’s highest price per gallon (yesterday’s average price in my county was $4.04/gallon), we need all the help we can get.

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300mm shot at 18mm, manual mode, 1/2000 sec, f/5.0, ISO 360, processded in ACR & PSCS5]

[Nikon D7500 and Nikkor 18-300mm shot @ 32mm, manual mode, 1/640 sec, f/11, ISO 360, processded in ACR & PSCS5]

Don

Nice images Dave and congrats on the new car. Buying is a hassle, I know. The last ones we purchased I went on USAA and picked out what I wanted, a price was determined and sent to the local dealer, they contacted us and we went to get it. No hassle. Actually I was able to save money on my truck as they had exactly what I wanted on the lot that was “last year’s” model, brand new, so I bought it. Both our vehicls are 2013 models. No plans to buy a newer one in the near future.

So, I’m all packed and ready to head to Tennessee. I’ll stop over until Tuesday morning at my daughter’s house to visit and see the new grandson again. DW will stay there for a few weeks longer, probably until after Thanksgiving. Latest weather forecast is for around an inch of snow Monday night and Tuesday morning, but I think the roads will be OK. We’ll see. Hoping the roads stay open in the park and I can get some snow shots. :)

Photo site - http://donlwilliamsphotography.com

"A moment in time
                Immortalized forever
                With silver and light"

Cameraman

Do enjoy your new “toy” – it looks very nice indeed. Enjoy!

Yesterday, we visited a person locally who lives (in the clouds) on the 14 floor of a local apartment.
                    While there, I set the cam to HDR MODE (I did not to fiddle with the cam there) and did my illustration. At home, I brought out the image in WHITE BALANCE TOOL. In W B, I set all the W B SLIDERS to the Left Wall of the Slider Boxes. Then I clicked FACTORY DEFAULT and got a clean and accurate image.

I have tried this idea with – Brightness Contrast, Hue Saturation and others -with reasonable results. I like W B the best.

Here is an image of a St Bernard in SION SWITZ at St Bernard Kennels on our Tour.
                    This I did exactly the same as I did the scene above except here I used my LEVELS TOOL instead of W B just for the sake of trying it. I still like my W B though..

Norm Dunne
                    Lover of the Old Masters Art Period

Well hello there,
                    I was beginning to wonder if everyone was out of town. Things have been slow here in the photo forum. We have been spoiled for the last few weeks with a lot of photo postings and conversations. It must be the cold temps, it certainly is making me want to curl up under and blanket and do nothing.

Dave,
                    That’s a pretty impressive vehicle. Good luck to your wife, I am sure she will enjoy the “new wheels”. I am not fond of silver either, but I think it looks sharp on this car.

Don,
                    I just finished looking at all the great photos on your website. You got some mighty good ones, many that we have not seen here in WC. Be safe on your trip, stay a few feet back from the edge of the cliffs and bring back more good shots. Will you be joining club members on your trip?

Norm,
                    Are you a fan of St Bernards? They are mini horses and oh so cute. Just look at the jowls. You certainly got the attention of this one. I like the scene from your friend’s apartment but wouldn’t want to live in the clouds. I once had a friend who lived in California, her apartment was on the main floor with half of it below ground level. She would wake up to beautiful sunshine but every afternoon there was some sort of fog that rolled in from the coast and you couldn’t even see anything outside her living room windows until the evening when the darn thing went away. It was so dismal and depressing.

Well, I did get in some practice yesterday with the new camera. However, my purpose in visiting a certain park was to take photos of a tunnel that went under a freeway. Several years ago the tunnel was decorate with interesting and well painted wall art and I was hoping to see the same though I know that they periodically repaint the walls so more artist can express themselves. I was really disappointed though, the walls were repainted but had nothing but profanity and insults spray painted on the walls. I think I may be calling or visiting the police station that is only a block from the tunnel because there was a few racial slurs I found extremely upsetting. Hopefully they will quickly remove the writing.

But here is one from my walk in the little downtown area of a suburb just north of me. The sun was going down and lit up this entranceway to one of the businesses. The buildings in this particular area are all over 100 years old.

Taken with my new Olympus.
                    Have a good rest of your day.
                    LORELL

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
                    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.