Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Princeton brush 6600 synth mongoose info??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hello, I am looking in to trying the mongoose or even synthetic mongoose style brush in particular the Princeton Brush 6600. Propaganda from the retailers has it that these brushes are a good value/inexpensive but from Blick (my standard ref. for pricing) the synthetics by Princeton and W&N etc. are all dollars more expensive then the real mongoose brushes from makers like Isabey, Raphael and a smaller maker like Kalish.

So, my question to network is, are the synthetic mongoose brushes unique enough to warrant purchase/trial. Is the synthetic fiber much longer lasting then the natural hair? I am under the assumption that natural mongoose is not the most resilient hair to be found.

Aside from this the mongoose is more and more becoming a protected species and if the synthetic mongoose brushes are a good alternative that might be enough to sway me in that direction.

If anyone has thoughts to sway me…please do so here..Thanks.

Synthetic Mongoose should be called SYNTHETIC brushes and that is all. They in no way operate like the real mongoose brush. It is like borrowing the name Alizarin Crimson and because they put Permanent in the front of the name it is somehow the same. It is nowhere near the same.

An art which isn't based on feeling isn't an art at all. Paul Cézanne :)

forsooth

I don’t have the Princeton 6600 syn. mongoose yet, but I have several of the W&N Monarch syn. mongoose, as well as several of the Escoda Modernista Tadami syn. mongoose brushes.

In my opinion, they perform superbly and really stand up to regular use and energetic cleaning.

I have some of the Princeton 6300 and 6400 synthetic series, and they are great brushes as well.

I plan to buy the Princeton 6600 series soon.

Re; Doug Nykoe, this is my general concern with buying synthetic brushes. I have a couple of the “old” Langnickle royal sables and royal knight brushes that I like using for different things based on what these brushes are good for…regardless of what they are supposing to replicate. I might just go the true mongoose route cause really, if it’s just a “well made” synth and not especially ‘mongoose like’ then I’d rather not invest 17$ US on a #12 bright!

Re forsooth, I have read some glowing reviews of the Monarch brushes and they seem to have a strong following but the price is a little bit deterring to for me. Along with the Modernista these are probably very well made brushes. I really am impressed with the quality standards of Escoda…maybe best in the bizz! I will keep your recommendation in mind. I am looking now for a good mongoose brush but always keep eye out for ‘built to last’ and high performing synthetics.

Also forsooth, would you like to expand a bit on why you use the synthetic mongoose brushes please? What are the common qualities in the Monarch/Modernista that you find most useful and what sets them apart from another make of brush? I would appreciate your user insight.

Thanks.

forsooth

poor righteous peon —

Let me throw the question back to you (rhetorically)…What is it that you want to accomplish that is so dependent of EXACTLY the right brush, particularly the qualities that you perceive to be associate with a mongoose brush?

I find that, for me, the weak links in the chain are (by far) my abilities and vision, not the specifics of my equipment.

I say, use a synthetic and let the little mongoose live another day to battle a cobra. Ya gotta respect that. :)

It is good to have choices, and, as I said, the synthetics are fabulous…in my opinion.

LGHumphrey

I agree with forsooth, I feel sorry for the mongeese.

Lawrence Humphrey
                Torrelles, Spain

ABRAHADABRA

I have a couple 6600s. Very soft and smooth. Great for fluid strokes.
                    Not so great for fill work, scumbling, or moving around ‘stiff’ paint.

Re forsooth, ahh yes, I have been tempted, having been reared in a consumer-centric society, to believe that if I only have the right shoes, paints , brushes, I might better execute great works!!! I have pretty much given up on that idea and am weary when it pulls at me. One of my personal favorite brushes is an old Tynaloc white synthetic Robbert Simmons brush…and a Signet flat that is made of the old bronze colored, Hyplar like nylon!

My recent thoughts on mongoose or like styled synth brush is the reviews and co. propaganda that describes them as being something in between hog and sable, that intrigues me to an extent and if it isn’t so expensive as to be annoying then I’d like to try them for myself. In particular I am looking for a fan brush as I have not really settled on one I already own and a versatile filbert, mostly for use with fluid paint.

Even though I like the idea of luxurious mongoose at times , I am hesitant to wish to purchase something derived from an at risk or endangered species, as you have stated there is nothing wrong with leaving the critters alone. Hence, I am digging around for info on the better synthetic mongoose “styled” offerings.

One of the best reasons I have for still using red sable is that it cleans up so well…rinses out most easily in watercolor and I have not found this to be the case with synthetics…but again, I like the Perla tame Escoda brushes for watercolor fine enough in how they handle. Alas, this isn’t as big a deal for me when using oils.

I am pretty convinced of Princeton Brush’s quality and will probably pick up a couple 6600s and give them a go now.

Thanks for the feedback from Dana and abrahadabra as well and lghumphrey.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • The topic ‘Princeton brush 6600 synth mongoose info??’ is closed to new replies.