Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Rami Malek WIP for my school Art Club

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Love Rami in Mr. Robot. Thought it socially significant someone was playing that type of character in something other than a comedy. Rami did a great job with Bohemian Rhapsody, so there was that, too.

My first choice was John Wayne. Then I read about his Playboy interview back in the day. “Oh, Hell no!” I quickly realized.

At my school, walking students through a drawing like this is HARD. Entertainment and emotional stimulation are the driving forces behind 99% of the kids I come across. I’d give my soul to work with kids who are driven, motivated, and disciplined. Working with my kids is like pulling teeth.

None of which is to say I don’t enjoy success with my students, because I do. But they could do better, had they the supports and resources enjoyed by children born to better socioeconomic conditions.

Still, one kid is stronger than most by a wide measure, and I’ve got high hopes. When we finish, I will put that work up as well.

You know what? I think I’m going to put a LOT of my students’ work up here. People need to see what we can do.

This is a little drawing on 9 × 12 Strathmore Bristol. We are using Cretacolor Nero Charcoal Pencils and a Kimberly 2H for light values.

Let's upset the apple cart, shall we?

Rami says, “Hey.”

0nc3 w3 13f7 7h3 5m41132, d374113d 42345 0f 7h3 3y35, n053, 4nd 11p5, w3 f4c3d 50m3 247h32 d4un71n9 5k1n 73x7u235. 1 h4d 70 7h1nk up 4 w4y 70 51mp11fy 4nd 5p33d up 7h3 p20c355, 4nd n07 d24w 7h15 7h3 w4y 1 w0u1d d24w 17 f02 my531f.

1’d 11k3 70 7h1nk 1’m 900d 47 7h15, 8u7 734ch1n9 y0un9 0n35 70 100k f02 m023 7h4n 51mp13 924d4710n5 15 23411y, 23411y 70u9h.

1 w15h 7h323 w45 4 w4y 70 k33p 4 921d 1n74c7 4nd 8234k up 7h3 5h4d1n9 1n70 117713 5qu4235 7h47 423 345132 70 d19357. 4nd 7h3n 7h3 921d 11n35 w0u1d m491c411y d154pp342.

7h47 c4n 83 d0n3, 219h7?

Which is to say that after the eyes, nose, and mouth, I struggled to reduce the techniques I wanted to use to something the kids could handle.

This is why I used to draw super models with lots of makeup. Their skin was flawless, requiring simple gradations. Easy to teach.

But who doesn’t enjoy soul-crushing difficulty now and then? :o

Moving along.

123harry

You’ve caught him.

C&C always welcome.
        Instagram harry.hamill

Starting the hair. Relying on Cretacolor Nero medium and extra soft.

Working the lower areas first, minding the highlighted area along the crown of his noggin. His hair is unruly, making for a wonderful challenge at this small size. I appreciate larger drawings all the more each time I make one of these little ones.

I am using a Kimberly 9XXB for the black of the background, for color variation and ever deeper value. The background will be problematic, as these modified charcoal pencils blend poorly, at best, while the background is altogether smooth, compared to Rami’s face and hair.

What to do….

1mbrews8

dang! great great job and realism!

(and the just eyes and ears done one is greatly creepy lolol!)

dang! great great job and realism!

(and the just eyes and ears done one is greatly creepy lolol!)

Why, thank you!

We are still going strong, and hoping to finish this week. I’ve got the kids meeting five days a week, now, which they will continue until they’ve finished their next drawing: a larger, independent drawing, as opposed to this group project.

Well, we are not going to finish this week. LOL.

Short week. Horrendous attendance. I will “finish” this today, and do the necessary touch-up on my own time. A couple of kids will also “finish.” I will then make a copy of every student’s work, and use those copies to walk each student through necessary improvements, while the others are working on their next project.

It burns me up that I’ve been unable to share my students’ work with anyone outside my little town. I believe what we are doing represents a paradigm shift in art education, and should be shared with a wide audience.

Speaking of which, I had long chose pictures that would be relatively easy for kids to draw: smooth skin and well-ordered hair. Of late, I’ve been choosing models based more on social significance: a firebrand politician, an environmental activist, the first female lead in the world’s largest motion picture franchise, and a man of middle-eastern decent who is helping Hollywood break with tradition and bigotry.

This change has made for the most demanding work my students have ever faced. I, myself, have been confounded at times as to how to best explain techniques needed for skin and hair—particularly hair. I can draw hair like this without a problem, but telling someone else how to do it, particularly a very young someone else, is the toughest thing I’ve ever had to do as a teacher, despite my experience. I had always avoided pictures like this, because I knew the hair or skin would be quite difficult for kids. I have so much more to learn, but I am getting there.

Drawing a bunch a hair that is all going in the same general direction is a breeze. I can teach it in a couple minutes. But when the hair is going every which direction, it becomes something difficult for most people to process. It would be like trying to draw a pile of straw or plate of spaghetti noodles realistically. Most people are overwhelmed by the level of random lines, curves, forms, and values.

Many years ago, I learned to grab a piece of scrap paper and bang away at random techniques, random movements of the pencil, until I hit on something that does a reasonable simulation of whatever I had to represent. Reflecting on that experience, I thought that these “random” patches of hair Rami has in this photograph were best reflected by equally random dark shadows, created with a slight “scribble” movement, of random shapes and sizes, and placed very near one another. The spaces between were then toned and broken up by very small, darker strokes or “bits,” as I called them. It was very important that the students learned not not leave any significant amount of space (anything more than a sixteenth of an inch or so) with an even tone, else the illusion of hair is shattered. This is a tough lesson to teach kids.

Tougher still to teach is addressing those parts where tiny sections of hair intersect others at random angles. The patience required from my students to get through these areas successfully is fairly biblical. Few have it, and result to more crude and instinctive techniques.

Anyway, gotta jet. Hope to “finish” today,and then do all the stuff I don’t have time to mess with while teaching.

Am I finished? No, not at all. At this point, I need to go back and adjust values and details I missed first time through. I suppose this is rather like writing a second draft.

The hair lacks volume. I rushed through the skin, so as not to completely overwhelm my students. I do not think there is a thing I can do about the grainy background—those waxy charcoals stick like glue.

Until next time!

joesurfer

Fabulous realism

I have just been thrown out of the inn where I was staying, naked as a worm. Claude Monet

A student’s Rami Malek placed first in a local exhibit. Very happy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.