Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Morrison, Colorado

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    landsmith

Hello, This is 10×14 inches painted with oils.

I guess I haven’t really fixed some past problems. Thanks for looking.
        Rob

Bizzibee

It is a beautiful vista Rob! What is troubling you – is it still the foreground? I think the rich, earthy colours against that bright sky, with its scudding clouds, are excellent.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

vegaskip

Needs a point of interest. A cowboy on a horse leading a pack horse, slightly off center heading for the gap in the hills. If he’s in the middle distance you don’t even have to be good at figures and horses. Would turn an anonymous ‘landscape’ into a little adventure and you have a winner.
                Jim

Skyenorth

Hello Rob you have a very lovely painting there, but I do agree with Jim, the same thought came to my mind. There does need to be a focal point, it doesn’t have to be a figure it can be one of the trees maybe made a little bigger or even a path could be created leading off to the distant rock.

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
                    http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
                    Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
                    Winston Churchill.

Nice work. I like the color contrast between the foreground and the sky. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

CaliAnn

Lovely painting – I agree with the others about a focal point – and agree with Caroline, it doesn’t have to be a figure. The sky and clouds are beautifully painted

A good looking tree may suffice to anchor the eye. Tho not the Bob Rossie
                        dab-dab stroke that we all know and love. The sky is certainly great – love that
                        along with the colour contrast as was mentioned by others. A good desert
                        oak might be good to go into a desert setting perhaps. Mr google will come up
                        with some good examples to get the pattern of the tree. It has the basis of a
                        really good painting. If it were my painting I would try for a single tree. Still
                        tho that’s just me.

landsmith

Hey, thanks Bizzibee for the feedback and nice comments. Yeah I guess foregrounds troubles many others too.

Jim, thanks for the good idea. I will think on that.

Caroline, thanks for the words and advice. I appreciate it.

Gary, thank you for the nice comments and feedback.

CaliAnn, thanks for your kind words and feedback.

John, thanks for the nice words and advice. It’s a good idea and I will mull it over.

Rob

vegaskip

What is it that ‘landscapers’ (on WC) have against people in paintings.? I suggested a cowboy and horse. Immediately ‘it doesn’t have to be a figure’ of course it doesn’t. As for a tree, good idea, a big one would certainly draw your eye, but would simply be another tree, and probably look out of place with all the other stunted ones around. I personally would rather paint a figure and horses in the middle distance than what would have to be a pretty good tree as a feature. Trees are not the easiest things to paint convincingly. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with.
                                Jim

CaliAnn

What is it that ‘landscapers’ (on WC) have against people in paintings.? I suggested a cowboy and horse. Immediately ‘it doesn’t have to be a figure’ of course it doesn’t. As for a tree, good idea, a big one would certainly draw your eye, but would simply be another tree, and probably look out of place with all the other stunted ones around. I personally would rather paint a figure and horses in the middle distance than what would have to be a pretty good tree as a feature. Trees are not the easiest things to paint convincingly. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with.
                                    Jim

I don’t think landscapers (WC) feel that way at all! Adding another option/opinion is nothing more than another way to look at things. Not everyone prescribes to the theory that a painting must have a figure, animal, or structure to provide a focal point or add “life” to a painting. I think light, color, movement also adds life, energy and creates a mood to a landscape. The landscape is full of life, with or without adding anything and letting the imagination of the viewer fill in the scene. Nothing wrong with a figure and horse either – I’m a big fan of your paintings and they always have something in them – but I’m also a fan of other artists on here who have different styles too. Just all opinions and options that the artist(poster) can take away and think on – that’s all.

vegaskip

I don’t think landscapers (WC) feel that way at all! Adding another option/opinion is nothing more than another way to look at things. Not everyone prescribes to the theory that a painting must have a figure, animal, or structure to provide a focal point or add “life” to a painting. I think light, color, movement also adds life, energy and creates a mood to a landscape. The landscape is full of life, with or without adding anything and letting the imagination of the viewer fill in the scene. Nothing wrong with a figure and horse either – I’m a big fan of your paintings and they always have something in them – but I’m also a fan of other artists on here who have different styles too. Just all opinions and options that the artist(poster) can take away and think on – that’s all.

I totally agree, please disregard my suggestions for adding ‘my type of life’ to landscapes. It was the first thing that came into my head. As you say light, colour, movement does it all already, but remember to add a point of interest. Meanwhile I’ll keep adding the odd puff of smoke to a chimney. Kids dropping stones from a bridge into a river. Or a derelict Conestoga Waggon in a desert one like this. When I paint my landscapes.
                                        My problem is, I’m an inveterate story teller.
                                        Looking forward to the result of the advice given
                                        Jim

landsmith

Jim, I’m not sure what to say. But I appreciate all the ideas from everyone. I’m kind of confused, so I’m putting the painting on the back burner.
                                            Rob

vegaskip

Jim, I’m not sure what to say. But I appreciate all the ideas from everyone. I’m kind of confused, so I’m putting the painting on the back burner.
                                                Rob

Rob I’m sorry if we, me in particular, have caused you confusion. Remember advice is only the opinion of the giver. If I were you. I’d say thanks, but I’ll do my own thing. Art is personal. This is one painting. Right or wrong, it’s time for the next one. The more you do the better you will get. As for advice, well, it is only that and is not mandatory. The most comprehensive Art encyclopaedia in the world is just a click away.
                                                Good luck
                                                Jim

I like this Rob, for me I see the focal point of this painting as the very interesting rock formations and the color of them contrast nicely against the sky.

Heather AKA Lucy12
                                                https://www.heatherrossbach.com
                                                https://www.instagram.com/heatherrossbachart/
                                                https://www.facebook.com/heatherrossbachart/?modal=admin_todo_tour

Old Radagast

I like the emptiness here – it conveys that sense of “miles from anywhere” well. Those rocks are amazing, the colors are realistic, and I like the clouds, too.

Matthew

Still much to paint and much to learn!
                                                    My blog: https://autumnglade.blogspot.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.