Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Pencil sketch smudged by oil paint

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Artassist

hi there

Please forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere.

I am going to start a drawing and painting today but I have a question first pls. I would like to sketch my drawing in pencil and paint directly over with oil paint (Winsor Newton) however I am concerned that the pencil will smudge. I also have pastel pencils. Would these work better?

I also would like to paint directly onto the canvas with the oil paint, without really using linseed oil or distilled turpentine with the paint. Can this be done?

Should I underpaint? Is it necessary?

Any help is appreciated.

with thanks

Ribera

Your concern, via, your sketch’s smudging’s easily
            eradicated:
            If that’s an issue, and the drawing was, in fact,
            executed on the paint-surface, before applying
            the paint, simply trace-off the pertinent lines in
            ink, or turped-up paint (Then erase the rest of
            the sketch) – That won’t smear.
            And if the drawing done on paper, simply trans-
            fer the essential lines onto the paint-surface,
            again, with ink or the same type paint.
            The decision to forgo the addition of more oil,
            or the addition of solvent’s a personal one.
            As is the underpainting one.
            r

oddman99

Another approach is to apply fixative. This is a thin clear film sprayed on over the sketch. Fixative is obtainable in spray can format at art supply stores. It is used as a final protective coat over charcoal and pastel drawings, but it can also be used to protect preparatory sketches from smudging when painted over in oils.

Artassist

Thank u.

Ribero when u say turped up paint what do you mean?

Thanks again

Artassist

Ribera. Sorry. My iPhone is playing spell check with me 😳

Don Ketchek

Adding additional oil, turpentine or any other solvent – or a medium containing a mixture of ingredients – is totally up to you. You do not need to add anything to your paint and can paint the entire painting with paint right from the tube.

I believe “turped up” merely means paint thinned with a bit of turp (turpentine) to make it flow better.

The main purpose of a underpainting (almost always done in monochrome) is to get the values, composition and proportions correct without having to deal with getting the color correct at the same time, which is far more difficult, in my opinion. With an underpainting, you can make changes and adjustments more easily as you don’t have to worry about color choices. Then, when you over-paint with color, you already have a “value guide” in place to help you put down colors that will match the values of your underpainting. Hope this makes sense! Again, the use of an underpainting is totally up to you.

Don

Ribera

Artassist,
                                As Don stated, Re: turped-up paint, it means,
                                “paint thinned with a bit of turp” (or OMS).
                                Just thin the paint out so it really bights into the
                                paint-surface (and dries faster, too). There, one
                                frequently employs a fast drying, popular under-
                                painting color, such as one of the umbers, as
                                they’re the fastest drying paint anyway.
                                On top of that, though, now, they’re thinned-out,
                                too, which only makes ’em dry that much more
                                quickly.
                                r

adamrice

hairspray can also be used as an inexpensive fixative for pencil/charcoal drawings on canvas

"Growing old can be tough, but it sure beats the alternative"
                                    -Adam Rice

My Blog
                                    Toril

Last I sketched on a canvas, I used a charcoal pencil, then erased almost all of it with a kneaded eraser. What was left, did not smudge with the paints, even when I used very light yellow/white paints into the edge. :thumbsup:

Biblioscape

You can also use wax-based colored pencils for your sketch. You can definitely use the paint without oil or thinner – those are mainly for changing the paint consistency.

Ron Francis

I would like to sketch my drawing in pencil and paint directly over with oil paint (Winsor Newton) however I am concerned that the pencil will smudge. I also have pastel pencils. Would these work better?

Pencil will smudge and become integral with the paint. I have been using pencil for 40 years or so without a problem and all I do is draw lightly which minimizes or eliminates any smudging.
                                                Because I work in layers, it will be covered up anyway.
                                                I don’t know about pastel pencils as I have never used them.
                                                I wouldn’t use fixative as suggested as it adds a complicating layer to the paint film, especially hair spray as I have read that this isn’t good even for fixing drawings on paper.

I also would like to paint directly onto the canvas with the oil paint, without really using linseed oil or distilled turpentine with the paint. Can this be done?

Yes, and it will usually form the strongest paint film. The only reason to add oil or solvent is to modify the way the paint handles, usually making it less viscous so it is easier to push around.

Should I underpaint? Is it necessary?

No it isn’t necessary. Alla prima painters often paint in one session. Some paint on a pre-toned canvas, or even put a thin wash on the canvas first.
                                                My problem with only using one layer of paint is the transparency of it, but I paint very thinly.

Ron
                                                www.RonaldFrancis.com

Artassist

Thank u all!!

Anonymous

fix it with spray fixative, it works very good.

Gwen Solvaag

Avoiding smudged pencil marks on canvas

You can also use 91% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle to fix the pencil sketch if the canvas is acrylic primed. The alcohol temporarily “melts” the acrylic, and when dry, in a very short time, the pencil is fixed with the acrylic. I have also done this with pastel pencil, and it works if the pastel pencil is pressed down with a tissue or tapped off so no loose pastel remains before the application of alcohol. Before you paint with your oils, you could optionally apply a very thin coat of oil, and wipe the canvas down with a cloth to see if any pencil comes off. I haven’t had this happen, but if you don’t mind the very small amount of oil applied to the canvas, it might make you worry less about the final painting.

Gwen

laika

So is everybody pooh-poohing that business of pencil “migrating” up through the paint? Some of my reading says that graphite is a no-no, but I’d love to learn otherwise.

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                                                                - Otto Rank

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Pencil sketch smudged by oil paint’ is closed to new replies.