WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2009, 05:24 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Re: ESP - Portrait & Figure Fundamentals - Lesson 5: The Figure, Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnap
don!
i have some questions about establishing musculature. by the time i figured out the way the pastels worked ( small bits and sideways) my lights were applied. you add your darks and then your lights. does the control of pastels making shapes come with time? they are thicker so it is tricky to get the shape i want compared to drawing with a pencil.

At a small size it is hard to create details, especially the subtle kind of details on a figure. So yes, I understand exactly! In college, I worked on 18" x 24" newsprint. Even at that size, I left out the faces of my figure drawings because they were too detailed for me! And yes, with more practice you will learn to control the pastel more, how you like to work (light and dark, in what order, how to blend, etc.). Even now, if you saw the photo of me and my painting at Old Forge, you will notice that I work large (approx. 16"x 27') and my painting is a figure from the waist up!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2009, 09:15 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Just an added thought on pastel application: When I lay in my value shapes for the darks and the lights, I usually use the harder brands of soft pastel and a very thin layer. Often, on a paper like canson, I will just lay down a little bit of pastel and then blend it with my pinky, so it covers the paper, but has virtually no thickness. I know other pastels will be applied over the top, so I try to minimize the amount of pastel in the earliest application. If I use the really soft pastels first, I will have trouble!

Now this is just me, based on my experience. Others may apply the pastel completely differently. It also depends on the paper. Paper that holds more layers will take more pastel in the initial layers and the softies won't fill the tooth as easily.

Don

#93   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2009, 09:57 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

*****IMPORTANT MESSAGE*****

Here in the Northern Hemisphere it is summer, and summer means summer vacation, and that means....

Schools out for summer!!

But not forever!

Yes, school is out for summer! The next lesson in the figure & portrait fundamentals class will not be posted until September! One reason - I will be away on vacation for two weeks in July (although I will be logging in occasionally from a library in the Adirondacks). Another reason - it seems like the interest at this time of year focuses on landscapes and plein air work (at least in the northern hemisphere ), so we'll take a little break.

The next lesson will focus on edges! I hope you will join me then!

Don

P.S. Even though we are delaying the next lesson, THIS lesson will continue to be ongoing, so keep posting!

Last edited by DAK723 : 06-26-2009 at 10:10 PM.
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2009, 02:23 PM
California

Hails from United States

Don,

Have a wonderful vacation. I've never been to the Adirondacks but it sounds like a great place to get away, maybe do a little plein air painting too while you're there. And don't forget to show us what you painted when you get back. I'm glad the lessons will continue, I've gotten so much out of them. I'm really looking forward to lesson 6, there's a lot I would like to learn about edges. I used to not give much thought to edges until recently when I read Richard Schmid's book, Alla Prima. Now I see how much edges have to do with how well the painting works. I tend to like the effect of soft edges and lost and found edges, without everything all spelled out. Anyway, I'm rambling, have a great vacation!

Nancy
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2009, 02:47 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Thanks Nancy! I must say that edges are something that I have struggled with and not payed much attention to until recently, too! I read something, too - can't remember who it was - who said something like, "the way to differentiate between professional level art and art that is just a level below is by looking at the edges." Since then I have been looking more at the edges! In my lesson, we will be looking at the edges of Renoir, Bouguereau, Degas, and others.

I will note that in looking at the pieces you have posted in the classroom, you have done a very nice job with the edges including some excellent lost and found ones! I think you will be teaching me a thing or two!

Don

#96   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2009, 08:09 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Don, so glad to get the summer to catch up, I'm terribly behind. I guess I'll have to take summer classes. :-D

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2009, 11:07 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

For anyone posting in the next 2 weeks, I will be on my vacation! But I do have internet access at the local library, so I will be keeping up with the thread!

Don

#98   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2009, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Zagreb

Hails from Croatia

While our great teacher Don is having vacation, you can worm up in the Figure forum for his coming lectures:
Figure Drawing Workshops
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2009, 11:24 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

I hadn't seen this thread from the figure forum! Looks like it will be interesting and informative! Thanks Mario!

Don

#100   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2009, 11:28 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Just want to say hello and let everyone know that the next lesson (#6) will be posted on or around Sept. 12th!

Summer vacation, here in Rochester, traditionally goes through the Labor day weekend (which is this upcoming weekend) - so we have just a bit more vacation to go before we put our noses back to the grindstone (ouch!) and get to work!!

Lesson 6 will feature a long look at edges and how to manipulate them! Also a look at generic figure measurements!

I hope you will join me for lesson #6!

Don

P.S. I hate asking, but if you enjoyed this lesson and found it useful, please rate it 5 stars! Thanks!

#101   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 10:28 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Glad you asked! I rated the first lessons, and never gave a thought to the fact that those stars will not follow me into the next thread. These awsome lessons deserve all the stars they can get!

Good you start later, I might pack 3 months of catching up into three days... LOL! I've read the post religiously, and have bookmarked and saved them, but for some reason there is always something else to be painted in a hurry, and class gets to wait... I seriously need to shape up.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 04:38 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Thanks Charlie, for the kind words! We always look forward to your contributions, but understand that you usually have a number of projects going on simultaneously! Join in when you can!

That is true for everyone! These threads should be around for a long while, so join in when you can and work at your own pace!

Don

#103   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 02:46 PM
California

Hails from United States

Hi Don,
I was just about to write and ask when the next lesson would begin, then noticed that you had already answered that. I'll be putting Sept. 12th on my calendar and looking forward to Lesson 6 beginning. I just want to say again how much I appreciate all the work you have put into these lessons. A tremendous resource. I also rated the lesson 5 stars, never thought to do that before so thanks for the reminder. Hope you had a great vacation!

Nancy
  #104   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2009, 01:35 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Thanks Nancy!

I plan on posting lesson 6 tomorrow! (Saturday, Sept. 12). If you are doing stick figure or value maps, you can continue to post here in lesson 5, or feel free to post any figure related paintings in lesson 6.

Don

#105   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2009, 12:00 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Lesson 6 is now posted!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583040

Enjoy!

Don