WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Enthusiast
halifax,canada

Hails from Canada
Re: ESP - Portrait & Figure Fundamentals - Lesson 5: The Figure, Part 1

don,

great lesson!!! just made some notes. question regarding seeing lights. should you avoid black????
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2009, 09:37 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnap
don,

great lesson!!! just made some notes. question regarding seeing lights. should you avoid black????

Thanks! It is perfectly OK to use black, in my opinion. Usually, I would suggest adding a bit of color to the black, but it all depends on what type of look you are aiming for. Using black in the underpainting is also perfectly fine. You may recall that Colleen used a charcoal underpainting for her beautiful portrait of the small boy in an earlier lesson.

Don

Last edited by DAK723 : 05-04-2009 at 10:04 AM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast
halifax,canada

Hails from Canada

sorry don, i was typing late i erased the word paper.... black or tone paper for the exercise?
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

You can definitely use black paper for the exercise, but you can really use any value for the paper provided it is dark enough so that your light value pastel marks show up well. Using a mid-value gray as I did in my first demo, allowed me to use a lighter (than the paper) value for the lights and a darker (than the paper) value for the darks. Feel free to experiment with different value papers and see if some are easier than others to judge the values of light and shadow.

Don
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2009, 03:22 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
tx

Hails from United States

Well looks like I will be first.. This is so helpful as I have been thinking of going to life drawing figure class.. (nudes) The live portrit class I started recently, I have been concentraiting the head... Sooo, your class here is perfect timing (BTW, Don your paintings r very inspiring!!
Here I have a start.. I used charcoal & your measuring technique which I found so very helpful, I then added a bit of color... not nearly finished plus I see many adjusstments I need to make.. but think I will go on & chalk this one up as a practice piece & start another...hopefully this will get things going in here too!

T
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Thanks T, for getting us started! Your initial drawing looks pretty good - yes there are a couple things that could be adjusted, but you have definitely captured the overall pose.

You have also blocked in some initial background values - and yes, this is a good stage of the process to think about some of the values for the background, too. Placing some darker values around the face helps emphasize it. Thanks for demonstrating this!

Don
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Zagreb

Hails from Croatia

thank you Don for doing this!!! This is a fantastic.

I can see the stick-figure can be very useful way to start your figures, specially live drawings. What I didn't get from your intro is how you yourself go about analyzing sticks from the photo.
Would you:
1. print the photo, analyze it, draw the sticks first on the photo
2. Draw the sticks first on your computer
3. look at the photo and start drawing the sticks on the paper

I guess any of this is fine... just out of curiosity how do you go about it?

thanks once again.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2009, 11:31 AM
California

Hails from United States

Hi Don, I'm really looking forward to this lesson on The Figure. You packed lots of really great information in here for us. Thanks!

Maw-T, I love your painting, you got the pose and the proportions down really well. Looking forward to seeing the finished version.

I guess I'll go next. This is done on medium dark gray Cansons. I have a sheet of sanded paper that I painted over with a dark acrylic wash. I'll try that next time. I didn't do a lot of detail on the face. Do you think it needs it?

Nancy

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 AM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

I take it you are preparing to write a book? Your generosity is beyond measure in taking the time to do all of this.

THANK YOU!!! Barb

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2009, 01:50 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvuk
thank you Don for doing this!!! This is a fantastic.

I can see the stick-figure can be very useful way to start your figures, specially live drawings. What I didn't get from your intro is how you yourself go about analyzing sticks from the photo.
Would you:
1. print the photo, analyze it, draw the sticks first on the photo
2. Draw the sticks first on your computer
3. look at the photo and start drawing the sticks on the paper

I guess any of this is fine... just out of curiosity how do you go about it?

thanks once again.

Thanks for the compliment and the question! Most of the time I will just draw the stick figure on my paper although when I did my second demonstration, I did draw the stick figure on my reference photo and found it quite helpful. So, it might be a good idea to draw some of the guidelines on the reference photo itself. That is one nice thing about being able to print out photos from our computers, it gives us a reference that we can draw on and not ruin!

Don
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2009, 01:55 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Nancy, this is fantastic! Since the emphasis is on the figure and the gesture, putting more detail on the face is not needed, in my opinion. I think facial details always run the risk of drawing the eye there more than we might want in a figure painting. But that is definitely a matter of opinion!

Very nicely done!

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyS.
Hi Don, I'm really looking forward to this lesson on The Figure. You packed lots of really great information in here for us. Thanks!

Maw-T, I love your painting, you got the pose and the proportions down really well. Looking forward to seeing the finished version.

I guess I'll go next. This is done on medium dark gray Cansons. I have a sheet of sanded paper that I painted over with a dark acrylic wash. I'll try that next time. I didn't do a lot of detail on the face. Do you think it needs it?

Nancy

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2009, 02:05 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoonan
I take it you are preparing to write a book? Your generosity is beyond measure in taking the time to do all of this.

THANK YOU!!! Barb

Thanks, Barb! This lesson was 49 pages in Microsoft Word, and some of my previous lessons were pretty lengthy, too, so I guess I have written a book!! I just hope it has useful information that helps simplify the process of portrait and figure painting. For those who saw my last landscape, you may have noticed that I used the same basic principles there, too. Guidelines, Landmarks and a Value map underpainting. From now on I'll be calling it my GLV system!

Don
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast
halifax,canada

Hails from Canada

don,
i just made a horrible attempt at the ballerina standing in the dark. did it on mid tone paper. did ok with the measurements. my problem is finding value of the pastel shades. i chose 3 . i do not think they were far enough apart in value. the hue is throwing me.i changed to a darker color. i tried using my value scale. any suggestions? perhaps i should stop until i get the color thing...~ginger
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2009, 04:30 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Ginger,

I guess there are many things you could try. You could (at the most extreme, value wise) use white for the lights, black for the darks. Lots of pastels are sold in "families" - a number of pastels that are the same color, but different values. If you have any of these families, pick the lightest and the darkest and try that. Don't hesitate to choose a more extreme range of values to experiment with. If you are using a middle value paper, you can either try to find a pastel that is close to the paper value, or just let the paper be the middle value. It definitely can be difficult to judge the value of colors - you are not alone if they are giving you trouble! A number of folks here organize their pastels by value - and then take a photo - change it to grayscale - and see how accurate their judgment is! Some colors (blues especially) look darker than they are. Hope this helps.

Don
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast
halifax,canada

Hails from Canada

thank you don. i think i will try the families or the extreme. i feel silly. it seems like it should be easy.