WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 05:25 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States
Main Street

In Blairstown; This began as an acrylic wash, then PanPastel, rembrandts and senneliers. Finished up my architecture with Conte pastel pencils for detail. My good camera is at the camera hospital.....so this was done with my cheaper model, sorry. Need some feedback Oh "gurus of pastel"
That building was the 1st post office built in 1818. There was a fog rolling in.....should I keep the mist at top???
18x24

Last edited by Dcam : 09-08-2009 at 05:27 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Carencro, Louisiana

Hails from United States
Re: Main Street

Derek,

Very good job on this. It's a very peaceful scene, and wonderful detail. Thanks for sharing this.

"In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." 1 John 4:10.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:00 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Mike: Nice of you to stop in....thanks. Derek
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 07:01 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

I love the unexpected puddle. It adds a little interesting story to this piece.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Nice work! I also love the puddle.

One thing that stands out, and it may simply be the lighting on the shot, but the building seems to move back into the background more than the greenery on the left side that is even with the building...

Of coarse, my 2 cents and another 4 dollars will get you a small drink at Starbucks
Let Your work appear to Your servants And Your majesty to their children. Psalm 90:16
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Hello I really like this, would love to be strolling down this street! Alisa
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Karen Alisa...thanks.
Mr. Miller: thanks....do you think if I just darkened the window panes and perhaps made the red door more intense, it might bring the building forward? The siding was green before, but then green overwhelmed. I guess the foliage could be toned down on the left.....so many choices, don't you just love the game? LOL...Derek
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I like everything about this except the fog in the tree tops. Kinda looks like those gypsy moth hangy things you see in trees. But maybe it's just the photo not showing it correctly.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2009, 12:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

You really get the details in a painting - such patience!

Two things stick out - the yellow on the right draws my eye there and the color in the puddle doesn't seem to correspond to anything it is reflecting.

There is something about this painting I can't quite put my finger on - it's almost a vertigo effect. Weird, huh. Maybe it's because the house is so super realistic and the rest of the painting is impressionistic - it just doesn't seem to be sitting in the setting
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2009, 01:53 AM
bangkok

Hails from Thailand

Very nice.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Sydney

Hails from Australia

I love the painting but it does feel a little like two paintings in one. The building, whilst so beautifully detailed seems like it doesn't belong. I think the fog effect at the top of the painting only adds to this for me. Maybe the quality of the light on the building seems so different from that on the rest of the painting and is too uniform? Maybe the trees in the background need to be pushed back a little further than they are (some blues/purples)? I agree with Kathryn that the yellow patch draws the eye on the left of the painting, seems a bit too bright to be in the background.

Not being a pastel guru, I'm just posing questions that I hope may help. I love the road too, the just after rain look has been captured so well here. And the touch of pink down the road a-ways is just lovely. I could sit here and keep finding things about the painting that I really like. It is just the way the building sits in the painting that needs some adjusting.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United Kingdom

I like this, but I do agree with Kathryn and Elaine - there are two different styles here. Does it need to be changed? I'm not so sure. It does make it an interesting piece - a bit like a book illustration.
Jools
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

You do such wonderful work with architecture Derek! I understand the comments that have been made so far and I wonder if you have to make a decision. Is this a portrait of a house or a landscape painting that has a house in it? To make the house fit with its more loosely painted surroundings you might have to give up some of the sharp details, especially toward the back. Maybe the fog could help with that? If you think of it as a blanket coming down over the house it could help obscure some of the rooflines and siding details. Could you play with this in Photoshop first before you make any changes? I also wonder if the shape of the tree behind the house could be adjusted - it kind of mirrors the shape of the roof. I can imagine keeping only part of the tree -one side of the peak or the other - so that the peak would be free to go up into the sky (visually, anyways). Would that help with the impression that we are looking up the house? You know I'm just thinking out loud Derek - I would be thrilled to be able to paint houses like you do and this is a perfectly nice painting as is. I hope your camera feels better soon!

Donna
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Richmond, VA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Wilson

There is something about this painting I can't quite put my finger on - it's almost a vertigo effect. Weird, huh. Maybe it's because the house is so super realistic and the rest of the painting is impressionistic - it just doesn't seem to be sitting in the setting

I had the same sense as Karen. As I look at the left side of the painting I have the feeling of looking "up." When I look at the house, I have the feeling that I am looking down on it. I think this might be why someone commented about having two paintings. Does this make sense?

Overall, It is nice work!
All work is WIP until bought and shipped!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2009, 09:58 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

I'll be honest with you. This painting has been a struggle. My mind says the architecture has to be correct.....hence the detail....I mean; clapboard is clapboard...straight and true. Then my heart says the landscape and foliage need to be painterly and loose, Yeah! just like nature.
This is the reason I am here: for comments like the ones from:
Donna, Jolee, Elaine, Thai, Mark, Kathryn, and Marcia.....Thanks for really valuable feedback. If I just posted to show off I would be kidding myself. That is why I love this place. I still find is easier to Paint in oils and acrylics, but my love affair with pastels is ongoing and I need this community for all the great insight.
A secret: I have worked this thing to death and may just use it as a learning tool.
On to the next.......Thanks so much. Derek