WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2009, 06:03 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom
Help! Whiskers on pastel Tiger x posted in A&W - Finished

Hello I need a bit of help with a Tiger I am doing in pastels and pastel pencils. It is done on Fisher 400 paper 10"x8" and I sooo wish I had done it bigger. Here it is so far.

I still have a bit of work to do on the face then will be starting the detail on the mouth and chin. But I'm wondering if, before I start doing that I should put in the whiskers. There are many of them as Tiger people will know and they are bright glowing white. I have put in 2 short ones on the side of the face. To do these I put a thin line very gently over the top of the black with white pastel pencil then went over it as best I could with my whitest soft pastel, a Schminke. Then I had to use black pastel pencil to thin the whisker back down again. The Schminke is so soft and crumbly I cannot get a precise thin line with it.

Has anyone got any tips about putting in whiskers in this situation and should I put them in now and work the fur detail round them or do all the detail and risk having smudged whiskers? The black which is already on the side of the mouth has been rubbed in quite well so hopefully I'll be able to get white over it OK.

Hope someone can help!! Oh and any other C&C welcome
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2009, 06:17 PM
A WC! Legend
Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Help! Whiskers on pastel Tiger x posted in A&W

For my two cents, I'd say to put the whiskers in last-last-last. Such details seem to need to float over the top of the rest of the work. I often tell students that doing the details before painting the rest is a little like washing the car windows before you wash the car. You'll probably just have to do it again! Your use of very soft pastels for the line is what I would do, too. I would hone a long edge of a soft stick on some sandpaper and use the whole side of it to lay in a stroke for each whisker.

He's quite striking...

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ozarks

Hails from United States

I too would put them in last. Maybe you could spray the muzzle area lightly with fixative, then place the white-white whiskers on top. Also, I sometimes use the palest of blue (in places) for whiskers. This is a very beautiful piece, you are doing a wonderful job.

Tanja

You may view my art at ~ www.tanjawareart.com
"Find out who you are and do it on purpose." - Dolly Parton
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2009, 11:41 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Very nice! And, yes, whiskers last!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Enthusiast
Dixie

Hails from United States

Since you have all the whisker advice you can use I'll just say this is a very impressive piece.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 04:42 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Thanks everyone. Deborah, never thought of using the side of the pastel but I'll have to get a new Schminke white first as mine isn't very big (and it's in bits.....they are so crumbly).
I have some fixative but have never used it on Fisher 400. I think I may take a small piece and do a test first. I have done whiskers on a Tiger before (see my avatar) but close up they have been influenced by the colour underneath and I want to try and avoid this.
If it works I'll post the finished painting!!

By the way I was sure I'd posted this in soft pastel talk which seemed the right place to ask for this advice. My apologies that it's turned up in the gallery!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 12:23 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Pastel Tiger, finished...whiskers and all!

This is the Tiger that I asked for tips on doing whiskers in another thread. Eventually managed to make them look half decent though not as white as I would have liked. Here's the finished painting. C&C welcome.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 12:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Ruthie, I think this thread was probably relocated to the gallery via Moderator magic, if I don't miss my guess, where it really seems to belong. True, it's a split decision, since you were asking about a technical question, but because you have posted the painting it seems perfect right here!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 12:33 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Oops and now I've posted the finished painting in a new thread as I thought people may not look at this one due to the title. I guess the magic mods will combine the two threads if they deem that the right thing!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast
Tampa, FL

Hails from United States
Re: Pastel Tiger, finished...whiskers and all!

Oh wow!! you nailed it! The whiskers and all are just gorgeous!!!
susan
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 01:09 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States
Re: Pastel Tiger, finished...whiskers and all!

I'm glad you signed this because I can't see another thing I could even imagine adding to it. Fantastic!!!! Barb

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 01:40 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Re: Help! Whiskers on pastel Tiger x posted in A&W - Finished

Ruth, it is fabulous! The bg works really well, continuing the colours. The lesser contrast in the bit of body we see to the right really pushes that part back, while still being very realistic. Wonderful!

What brand did you use for whiskers? I find that the dense soft sticks make decent whiskers. Your strokes look great, and just as 'on top of things' as is making it come alive.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Susan Thank you

Barb I have to confess I did a bit more tweaking after I signed it. If I kept looking at it I would keep "tweaking" forever!!

Charlie I'm so glad you like the area on the right. I just thought if I gave that as much detail it would detract from the face. It wasn't soft focus in the ref pic but I risked it and I think it's worked too.
I have to confess I could not get the Schminke stick to give me a thin line on my test sheet (my fault though not the stick!) so I fixed the area where the whiskers were to go then went over with VERY gentle pressure with my FC white pastel pencil. I kept going over and over with it and used a white FC pastel stick too which I broke to give sharp edges. I then tidied up the edges with relevant colours, holding my breath as I went!! The whiskers took me about an hour to complete!! If I were competent enough may be I'd've got the white I really wanted with the soft stick!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 04:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Ruth, ohyesitworked! Whiskers: Smart way of getting them there. Schmincke white may be even too soft for this kind of job. A Unison white is much firmer, but still densly white, and keeps an edge a few strokes longer.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 05:23 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Thanks Charlie. I'll bear that in mind. I have some Unison pastels, which are lovely to use and intense colours too, but I don't (yet) have a white. Must remedy that!