WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors OX_b4666342a1.showAdUnit("469607");

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Enthusiast
Chicago Suburbs

Hails from United States
Re: The Oil Gusher Apr.16 - Apr. 22

Angela, you have my support too! What a great thing to do for yourself no matter how many times it takes to do.

I agree with you about the computer! Its so great to belong to our group!

Annie, turning off the news is a good way to take care of yourself. I know after 9/11, I really try tolimit myself to evening news. My students were talking about it today and said the media blitz was exploitive and it bothered them.

You are welcome Pat and I'm glad you have heat and light back on in your area!
Ok I"m off NOW to paint!! (Using Angela's idea to commit to a positive change! so I'll follow throught)

My Blog
http://straightlinesout.blogspot.com
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 03:32 PM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

Yes, turning off news for a time is good.

I checked out your blog, Lindsay and really like the ideas for the project you are going to be doing of the waterways. You have some nice initial drawings. I like all of your blog and sometimes think I would like to add one to my website, but am not sure when I would have time to write in it.

Pat
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Enthusiast
Chicago Suburbs

Hails from United States

Thanks Pat for your kind words of encouragement. I"m very excited about this project because I love the out doors and I love drawing/painting. I think it will really help me to improve my landscape skills. So far I'm only drawing plein air as I get overwhelmed with painting on location. But the more I draw and paint from my photos, the more experience I'll get and soon I'll be doing plein air painting too.

I just read the coolest thread over at Pastel Talk.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...=412683&page=2

And I got to know you better. Your teaching comes through as a moderator for our fourm. And I love the pix of you and your beloved. Your art is a thread that runs through your whole life and teaching too. (I consider parenting a more involved from of teaching too!) ANyway, Thanks again. I'm working on a WDE this week (haven't done one in AGES!) Its a very good distraction right now.

My Blog
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Enthusiast
Chicago Suburbs

Hails from United States

Pat I forgot to say that blogging is alot of fun but the initial learning-curve-time was pretty heavy duty. But once I got the hang of things, scanning and posting is really easy. If you do want to start one, I'd be happy to help you with any questions. Blogger has just improved its lay out and user friendliness.

My Blog
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2007, 07:36 AM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

thanks, Lindsay. That is a cool thread. Thanks also for the offer to help with blogging. The host for my web site also has a blog page, but I'll let you know when I'm ready. I thought it might be fun to put up the sketches and PS images.

Pat
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2007, 12:48 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Other Washington

Hails from United States

Pat: I'm glad to hear that your heat went back on and that the weather finally broke. Thanks for your supportive comments about smoking. I seem to be having a particularly difficult time. Even after writing what I did, I slipped again - although I only had 3 on Thursday and 5 yesterday. Maybe it works like those ancient religions, in which even speaking the name of the malevolent deity was thought to conjure up it's power. From now on, I think I'll shut up about it. :X

Lindsay: I agree with your comments about learning from Pat. She's a great teacher. Your waterways project sounds like a lot of fun. I too struggle with the issue of just "jumping in" versus planning carefully. I imagine it would be even more difficult for you, since you clearly have a lot of very creative ideas - the excitement of those I suspect would make it more difficult to go slow.

Angela: See my comments above to Pat about the Malevolent-Diety--Whose-Name-Shall-Not-Be-Spoken. You had asked earlier about my camera: it's a Nikon P2, a mid-grade digital that I got on sale at a terrific discount. It has a lot of automatic settings, but also allows the user to set most of them manually. I'm still learning about it, although I've had it for nearly a year (I have preferred to learn about painting, I guess, rather than photography.) I generally try to take pieces outside to photograph, although it also has a "Museum" setting for photographing art inside without flash that generally works quite well. For some pieces it doesn't though, and throws the colors off, which is why I really do need to learn more about how to use the "White Balance" settings. I think I need some sort of card that shows a 15% gray, or something like that, in order to use the white balance properly. Yours seems to be professional grade from the little I read about it. Very nice, Angela- you lucky girl!

The weather here has been much as it usually is this time of year: rainy one day, then sunny the next - or sometimes both in one day. Yesterday was sunny and I left the sliding glass door open for a while - I noticed that lovely "smell of spring" for the first time this year.

Last edited by AnnieA : 04-21-2007 at 01:20 PM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2007, 01:11 PM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

May the malevolent deity stay in the dark.....

The weather sure has broken, sunny and 72 degrees. Wonderful to be outside. I may just sit in the sun all day and enjoy.

Pat
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Enthusiast
Chicago Suburbs

Hails from United States

Julie please take pictures!!! Congrats!!!

My Blog