WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Miniature Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 05:57 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States
Post Project Discussion: Postcard/ATC Art Exchange

A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: Postcard/ATC Art Exchange
Project Leader: IrishRose
Relative Difficulty: Irrelevant
Type Restrictions: Any Type
Medium: Any Medium
Subject: Not Applicable
Days open for signups: 30
Maximum participants allowed: 25

Description:

Ah, Spring is in the air, and what a perfect time to start yet ANOTHER project! Since we have had so much fun with our two ACEO/ATC's (Art Cards Editions and Originals/Art Trading Cards) projects, I am proposing a miniature art project in any size that is considered ATC size (2.5" x 3.5"), to postcard sizes of 4x6 or 5x7 using any type of media or support.

This project is confined to 25 participants with 30 days to sign up. If we don't have our 25 participants within that time we will proceed full steam ahead anyway with whatever members have signed up. In this manner each person will get a total of 25 cards mailed to them (minus themselves!) I just have to stress one thing. PLEASE do not sign up if you do not feel that you can complete this project!!! It is not fair to others who have completed artwork for some but never get anything in return. This is a FULL PARTICIPATING project. Dropouts have come to some of the other projects and when that happens it is sad for someone who was looking forward to receiving a card from each person, so please only sign up if truly committed to complete the project within 6 months. This will give us to October 1 to get this done.

Each participant will need to send me a PM (personal message) containing their proper name and mailing address. I will compile a list and distribute it to each participant. Your task will then be to paint (or create) a card for each person on your list...and faithfully mail one to each person. The members may be anywhere in the world!

Keep in mind that USA postage will be going up to 41 cents in May.

Sign and title your work on the back and please include your WC name! You may start creating right away until the list is PM'd with the list of participants. No need to delay!! We are aiming for one card to be mailed each week, so the project should be completed about six months after the starting date.

REMEMBER...

As you finish each card you need to either scan it or take a digital photo of it. PM the recipient that the card is on its way. Please take care to make sure the postage is correct as it is different for out of the country. When the recipient receives their card, please PM the artist with confirmation of its receipt so that they may load a picture of it into the Gallery Exhibit (Finished Works) in our project...

If you are the artist, and you do not hear of your card's arrival within one month of mailing, please upload the digital image to the project anyway, with an explanation that the card may have been lost in the mail.

When uploading an image to the project please feel free to share your thoughts on the piece, the colours used, etc. After all, what is show and tell without the tell part.

And so...as the glutton for punishment I am, we begin (hey it beats doing laundry! LOL)

ATC Icon by Rose (Encaustic Pink Star)
Rose

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here!

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get "pushed down" by a swarm of project-related threads.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 06:33 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Project Discussion: Postcard/ATC Art Exchange

Can't wait to get started. I think I'm going to do mixed media and Mandalas (circles) for this project... I'm not sure yet, still brainstorming! Glad to see all the signups already!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 07:30 PM
WC! Guide

I've never heard of mandalas before. Will have to Google it. I can't wait to get the list. You know me. I may have them all out before the postage goes up. LOL I pm'd a couple people Islander, Nitsa, and JMFletch. I think both the first two do ATC size but I know they are busy. Fletch was asking about the ATC sizes etc. I am hoping he will have time to join. No better way to learn about them than jump in and do some. And then there is always the "stinkie" thread.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 07:49 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by J
I've never heard of mandalas before. Will have to Google it. I can't wait to get the list. You know me. I may have them all out before the postage goes up. LOL I pm'd a couple people Islander, Nitsa, and JMFletch. I think both the first two do ATC size but I know they are busy. Fletch was asking about the ATC sizes etc. I am hoping he will have time to join. No better way to learn about them than jump in and do some. And then there is always the "stinkie" thread.

Jeanne,thanks for helping out. Mandalas are like little kaleidoscope circles (called Sacred Geometry) that some religions use to 'center themselves'... just the coloring alone is therapeutic and spiritual. I have done some studying on it, but not enough. You can download a program called www.mandalapainter.com for a trial of 15 days to see how these things look. This new project is not limited to ATC's, we can go bigger to postcard size or 5x7, or any size in between. As long as it will fit into a regular envelope that doesn't take more postage than necessary. I don't want anyone to have to "break the bank"... this is larger than the last by a few cards.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 08:45 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Wintering in Spain & Portugal

Hails from United Kingdom

I've just signed up Rose
It's been such fun making the ATCs, but I do really love making postcard size art too, so this mix will be fun.

Marita
C & C welcome
My Website
As Picasso said, "In order to be a painter,
you need to know how to paint, and when to stop."

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 08:52 PM
WC! Guide

Rose when you get to my name, I love your parrots. I have seen the stuff you have done like the star on your avatar in here. If that is what you mean, they are really striking.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 08:56 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

Jeanne, you've got it... no problem. And yes, a mandala is a kind of kaleidscope, but done more in a square shape (I modified for the size limit for this project like on the star). That is what they call a mandala... I did that pink one with molten wax, it's lots of fun.... Thanks for being such a great student!

And Marita, thanks for signing up, I know you like the larger sizes too!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Kennebec, SD

Hails from United States

Rose, My yes you are a glutton for pinishment!! And aren't we glad you are!!!
And yes it sure beats laundry! lol

Only problem is now I will have to make choices on size, hmm do I do ATC, postcard, 5x7??? lol Actually it sounds very fun to have a mix!

Thanks for starting another project!
Pat
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 09:23 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Rose, My yes you are a glutton for pinishment!! And aren't we glad you are!!!
And yes it sure beats laundry! lol

Only problem is now I will have to make choices on size, hmm do I do ATC, postcard, 5x7??? lol Actually it sounds very fun to have a mix!

Thanks for starting another project!
Pat

Pat, well, it keeps me out of trouble, and I have more supplies here than I know what to do with, so it should use some of them up. I looked around and saw I had ATC cards, watercolor postcards, regular size cards... oy! i have to start using them.... But glad that you feel the same, a mix is good, and you're SOOO welcome! Your work is awesome!!!! Even send some stinkers if you want! LOL
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
Minneapolis, MN

Hails from United States

I just signed up for this and I'm so excited! Thank you so much for starting this project, Rose. I was just waiting for another one of these to be announced!

Anne
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 09:33 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

Anne, so glad you joined!!! Did you send me your addy by PM? I'm so OCD I have to keep all my projects organized in a folder, so if you haven't done that yet, I'll need it for the project list I send out. Thanks for coming on board and glad we were just in time! Have FUN!!!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 10:33 PM
South-East Queensland

Hails from Australia

Well this is my first foray into mini's and I hope I don't do too many stinkers. I just made a template for ATC size and did one. I had trouble scanning & photographing it so it came out looking a bit blurry - any tips? I'm sooooo new to dig photography.

Jeanne, mandalas are even used in permaculture gardening - they use the interlinking circles method and get more production area with less path :

and it makes a pretty pattern even in a B&W design stage

Sue

Laughter is the sound of the human soul springing a leak.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 10:38 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

Wow, Sue... this is great.. you know some about Mandalas... the first time I heard about them was the book on Encaustics by Michael Bossom, he did a basic "Mandala" with wax... this is how I learned and then looked them up to learn more... very interesting!

Template for ATC's... well, I did one on like a bristol board cut to size and then use that as my template to do one at a time. Not easy, but it works. And beats the prices of precut ones... though you can get them on Ebay.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 11:51 PM
South-East Queensland

Hails from Australia

Rose, I just did a quickie template with heavy card - but it seemed to work so I thought I'd do a more permanent one in foamcore or something similar.

I think the mandala down in swirls of encaustic colours would look fabulous.

Sue

Laughter is the sound of the human soul springing a leak.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2007, 02:06 AM
Enthusiast
Walldorf

Hails from Germany

After I got done with the ATC exchange project, I havent done any art at all! Thats a gap of a month! So lazy bums like me need something like this to motivate myself:-)

Thanks so much Rose! Looks like too much of choice this time, have to start thinking what to do...