WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Miniature Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2015, 08:19 AM
Southeast USA

Re: Book Review ~ "50 Small Paintings"

I took lessons from one person off and on from the age of 10 to about 20. I can still her Miss W. saying "Nothing is pure black or pure white". We didn't even have black in our paint boxes. Those things you learn young stay with you for a very long time

I am finding it helpful to take a picture of what I'm painting and later viewing it on the computer. It does give you a different view. I guess it's much like looking at it from across a large room.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2015, 08:06 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

A mirror is good for the self C&C Pat - but as I said, I cannot follow my own advice..
jim
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2015, 10:46 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Miss W. sounds like a tough cookie!

I like your moon, I think the reflection is okay. the main part of this lesson was to learn how the paint works and how you want to hold your brush and such so definitely a good lesson.

And congrats on your first mini.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2015, 01:38 PM

Amid all the turmoil that seems go on here I did manage to break out the WMO and do a miniature tree with them today.. Next I go through the book with acrylics - they dry qucker than oils - better for my many mistakes .
Jim
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2015, 03:31 PM

Whoops! Just noticed that I forgot to add the painting - senior moments getting closer together .
jim

cropped to 5" X 4" WMO on minature wrapped canvas.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2015, 06:39 PM
Southeast USA

I have now completed the first 6 exercises in the book. All of mine are on 5x5 Acrylic Paper

A few tips:
  1. In Exercise #1, the first picture is not for this painting. Just follow the instructions
  2. Read all of the directions before you begin to paint. Then read them again.
  3. If you don't have the exact colors, it's okay. Just use a close one. I see no need to have yet another blue in my paint box.

Painting # 2 - The lesson here is about applying colored paint vs black and white from the first painting. I used Cadmium Yellow Medium with a little white since I didn't have Cadmium Yellow Light. I wasn't happy with the straight lines between the colors so went back and did a little blending.

Painting #3 - The lesson is about color mixing. I was happy to learn a new way to get dark green. Not happy with the flatness of the painting but texture comes later.

Painting #4 - About blending colors. You need to read the instructions before you begin because you have to move quickly from one step to the next while the paint is wet. I used Phthalo Blue and Ultramarine Blue instead of Light Blue Permanent. I'm happy with this one. I even overcame my fear of uncovered canvas to make that little white wave crest. Could have gotten better coverage in the blue.

Painting #5 - Another exercise in leaving part of the canvas blank. Really doesn't look that bad after all.

Painting #6 - I love this because it is so whimsical. I didn't get the glaze as thin as it should be so I ended up going back over the pat of butter with a thin layer of yellow. Need to practice more about using the acrylic medium to make a glaze. I will probably do this at least one more time to give to a friend as a fun little gift.

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2015, 04:35 AM

These look good Pat. It seems that you have acrylic painting beat. I like the orange, is it mixed or was it tubed? Using the black to mix a green is unusual but it works. Texture I am unsure about, it seems to come in around lesson 12 I think.
Reading your notes I can see that I am remembering the picture I have just completed but that was in oils. You did that blending in acrylics fine. The boat reference in number 5 was almost a 'plan' view (from the top) and it looks to be rather awkward but you did that well.
I follow you in finding the toast a little whimsical, I always omit the shadows on the first attempt. Yours looks eatable .
jim
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2015, 08:30 AM
Southeast USA

Jim, Thanks. I do have some experience in painting but it's been a number of years plus there is always something else one can learn. The orange is Liquitex Heavy Body Cadium Orange.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2015, 11:10 AM

Thanks for that Pat, I do have a tubed orange but I have some Daler Rowney largish containers that I want to use, it's over 23 years old . It is a limited palette, warm and cool of the primaries plus the usual black and white.
The white from that batch and a mixing white in a tube must have some yellow in it because when I did the white wave thingy it went green. I used titanium white in the end – that worked.
Ok I'll put them up as I did them, on the back of a home made colour chart from a few moons ago. I have done them on one sheet.
Jim

#70   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Southeast USA

Jim,
Thanks for sharing your pictures. I like your beach scene and the mountains in the last one.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2015, 12:52 PM

Thanks Pat. I did get some miniature brushes a month or so ago. I tried them for the first time today and they are pretty useless. I was hoping that a smaller brush would enable me to paint smaller but these either 'splodge' or do not deposit any colour at all. Ah well live and learn .
jim
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2015, 05:38 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Wow, great stuff from both of you!
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2015, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

I've been watching but no painting. Some really great exercises showed up since my last one.

Number 11. Once again I got lost in trying to copy the shape. I sold shoes when I was a senior in high school, and the one in the book just doesn't look like anything a woman (or a man) would wear. At least not on purpose.

Brush control remains my problem, but standing across the room from this 4X4 piece of plywood helps it look like a real shoe and one that someone might wear.:

R/Mike
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2015, 10:31 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

I'd wear that.

That's a fabulous red.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmrs
I'd wear that.

That's a fabulous red.
It looks almost open-toe, but only because my brush refused to round it properly.

Daler Rowney brilliant red from a $3.99 750 ml bottle bought at Walmart. I doubt it has much light-fastness, but isn't a bad red. It's also described as a soft bodied paint, so it is loaded with inexpensive pigment. I don't have all the colors 50 Small Paintings suggests, so I use what I have on hand.

R/Mike