Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk Panpastels only powder

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    irmaleo

Hi,
        Maybe somebody has a solution ;-)
        I’ve bought last saterday 10 panpastels, it was cheaper then normal because it was “slightly damaged”… well when I was home today it was only powder and dust.. Does anybody has a solution to make it more “panpastel” again, or must I throw it away……? Far to dusty right now
        I’ve tried to wetten one, the water don’t mix with the pastel.
        Thanks for looking!!

Dcam

Hi Irmaleo:

I have about 3 pans that were turned to powder from falling on the floor. Good thing they still had the lid on. I still use them. Even though very “dusty” I set a piece of watercolor paper out to use as a kind of palette because the soft tools become too filled with the powder. I gently rub the excess onto the watercolor paper palette and can even mix on this surface and then go to the painting.

Good luck. derek:)

chuas2

Irma, I had the same thing happen as Derek, and have gone the same route (using the powder). It’s like when a makeup powder compact smashes I think. The powder is just pressed into the container. Maybe get slightly larger jars to put the pigment in so it’s less likely to spill?
                So sorry! :(

PeggyB

Donna Aldridge taught me to use high proof alcohol, no water, to create “new” colors and values of the pans so I don’t see why that wouldn’t work to get your crushed colors back to a useable texture. The alcohol will dry quickly. This is not the kind of alcohol known as “rubbing” alcohol, but rather I believe it is called “denatured” alcohol. Of course you could also use any white grain alcohol such as vodka too, and avoid the smell of the other! LOL

Peggy Braeutigam, IAPS/MC
                    www.peggybraeutigam.com

robertsloan2

Peggy, thank you! I knew there was some way to reconstitute crushed Pan Pastels, but I thought it was a few drops of water. Thank you for letting me know it’s not. I couldn’t remember what it was and your warning is important. I haven’t tried putting water on Pans or washing them on the paper either.

If they wash like Senneliers and many other pastel brands, I can see how water would turn them into an insoluble cake more like a pastel stick and not able to be lifted out again with the Sofft tools.

Cool to know I can use that to mix colors and make my own convenience colors!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                        Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                        blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Why don’t you write to the maker…….she is a lovely lady, and will help, I am sure. you will find a contact form on the pan pastel website. Sorry, I would give you her name if I could access my email – brain gone dead and I cannot remember and my email is not working right now.

Jackie

bluefish

excellent recommendation Jackie…..the manufacturer must face this problem during the process, so should be able to give a good recommendation……

Derek, following Peggy’s advice, maybe your ‘single malt’ would work! :lol:

Deborah Secor

Yes, contact Bernadette Ward and ask her to give you some advice. Her husband, Ladd Forsline, is the inventor. They are wonderful people. :heart:

Colorfin LLC
                                http://www.panpastel.com/
                                PO Box 825
                                Kutztown, PA 19530
                                USA
                                [email][email protected][/email]

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                                Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
                                Gouache Blog

irmaleo

Thanks everybody to read and help, maybe i write to the maker, my enlish is not so good ;-)) First i’ll buy is a dustmask… really got problems yesterday with the pasteldust from the pans ;-))))

autolisp

Just for information. Denatured Alcohol is called Methylated Spirit in the UK.

I'm not a new member. But the database thinks I am!

Just for information. Denatured Alcohol is called Methylated Spirit in the UK.

aha, did not know this. But I do know that Methyhlated Spirits PONG!!!!!

pixieartist

Hi, I bought the 80 pan set and found one pan kind of cracked a bit, and now starting to go more powdery, so thanks for the info Deborah Secor you gave us about contacting the makers/inventor. I also had forgotten her name. Will have to find some of the Denatured Alcohol to fix it I guess, unless I can find someone who will give me maybe a 1/4 cup of vodka!!! Don’t drink, so never use the liquor stores!!!

murphe

If you have any French polishers in your area they may be able to give you a little industrial denatured alcohol as you only need a few mls.
                                                The problem over here in the UK is you have to apply to the home office for authorisation to be able to buy anything but the methylated spirits that leaves a purple stain on anything due to the gentian violet.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.