Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Portraiture Forum Library Archives Your Favorite Portrait work from 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    kevinwueste

We would like each and everyone of you to post ONE of your own pieces from “2011” that you deem to be your Best – or Favorite work from 2011.
        You may make a few comments about it if you wish to do so.

We want to keep this thread focused on the images only, without commenting on other’s work, so that the focus remains simply: on the work.

COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.

If you want comments of your work we suggest that you include a link to your original thread so that people can comment there,

Thank you for your continued participation in the Portraiture Forum – it’s been a great and lively year!

-The Guides and MOderators of the Portraiture Forum

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
        Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
        http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
        "kevinwueste" on instagram

raeburn10025

Okay, here’s my favorite from 2011. Not sure if it’s my best effort but it did push my comfort zone in terms of color and paint application. I had fun with this exercise and am looking forward to other posts on this thread.

I chose two to show, because I do pastel and oil
            Pastel- this one because it is the best one from life this year- and 50 minutes drawing time. It is not often that I got the likeness first time, and this one I got it…

Oil, I hadn’t done anything like this before. The combination of my daughter and the water were the challenges- and the huge size of it as well…

bethany
            moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
            website www.bethanyart.com
            My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

OK

This was done at the Tenby portrait group, which is a weekly two hour open session.

For some reason the ladies had the model move round to the opposite side of the room. I had already set up for where the model usually sits, and decided not to move but to just turn round and paint against the light. I was pleased with the looseness and likeness of character that emerged.
                :wave: Dave

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                — Allen Ginsberg
                Are you ready for a Journey?
                PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

LGHumphrey

This is a tiny old gypsy beggar-woman that we met in Mérida, (Extremadura, Spain.) I think the portrait shows the hard life she has led.

Lawrence Humphrey
                    Torrelles, Spain

NancyMP

I’m really enjoying this, Kevin!:D Oil on canvas 10″ x 10.”

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
                        All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

Everyone

I’m enjoying this show! :clap:

Raeburn — I think you are really on to something with the challenges you gave yourself this past year to try some new ways of painting the figure. :thumbsup: This one is very powerful.

Bethany — You’ve worked very hard on your art this past year, with great results. :D Nice to see two works, one in each of your favourite mediums. :thumbsup: Nice pastel portrait of the girl, and I loved your water-maiden paintings. This one is lovely!

Dave
                            — This is a wonderful portrait! :clap: Interesting angle, great form and I like how you handled the shadows. :thumbsup: I also like the simple (seemingly, anyway) way you did this one. Bravo!

Lawrence — Very powerful portrait, and even better with the background to it. :clap: Thanks for bringing the bold colours of your paintings to this Canadian in winter. :D Was your palette so bold when you still lived here, or is it the influence of being in Spain? :confused:

Nancy — Yes, this portrait of yours is special! :thumbsup: I hear Billy Holiday music in my head when I see it. :music:

I think this is probably the best portrait I did (and finished!) in 2011, and it was the last one I did. While I meant to work on it between live sessions with our model (who we had for 4 weeks, just a morning per week), and to finish it after, from photos, I never did, and now that I look at it, don’t think I’ll work anymore on it.

This is Mike, who is dressed in Viking garb. 8″ x 12″, oil on panel.

Cheers, Lauren
                            https://www.facebook.com/LaurenFosterMacLeod/
                            Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lauren.fosterm/

maryinasia

my mom

PawtraitsFL

Hi everyone

here is a piece that I would consider one of my best piece I won best in show at the North Port Art Center, Florida…this piece was done in Faber Castell Polychrome on Bristol Board

rae33

Zaida – 12″x12″

Hi I’m new to this forum. I painting this portrait of my grandfather in the spring. He passed away about 6 weeks ago. I think I captured his smile here.

NancyMP

Dang it, Kevin, it’s so hard to NOT COMMENT here! Wowser! Paul McCartney yet!

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
                                            All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

Hockey Dad

Happy New Year everyone.

Russian Composer, Modest Moussorgsky

Irwin

I'm not much to look at, I'm nothing to see..I'm just glad I'm living, lucky to be..I've got a woman who's crazy 'bout me...she's funny that way:heart:.

Greggo

Originally posted as “The Lovebirds”, this was a Christmas present for my brother and his wife. The thread also included the complete process as a WIP to explain how these were done.

They loved them!:clap:

Thanks Kevin for starting this thread, greg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

Lulu

Watercolour 8 x 8″

Lulu

Proud to be Kiwi!

llawrence

This one was the big news for me this year – first-place award at my first juried. From an RIL photo ref!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.