Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Friends want to buy my work. Prices??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Just Scott

Hello.

I just started getting reacquainted with my artistic side in January of this year. I bought some pre-stretched canvas, acrylic paints, brushes and painting knives. I paint mainly abstract/abstract expressionism.

Since January, I now have 28 paintings in my home (sizes: 11×14; 12×16; 16×20). Friends of mine really like my work. Some have asked me how much for one. Someone else asked me if I’d charge a private sale or gallery price. (??)

How DO I set a price? I’ve read online about charging by “square inch” and by “linear inch”. The materials I’ve used so far are “entry level” (inexpensive): Academic Level 1 acrylic paint; bulk pack of pre-stretched canvas. I bought my supplies from Michaels. If I can sell a few of these then I can upgrade to better quality acrylics & canvas.

I just think that with the entry level supplies I have right now, trying to charge $160 or $320 for a 16×20 painting right now is too high (using the square inch method with .50/sq. in. or $1/sq. in., respectively). But then again, this is all so new to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SourCherry

Would your friends pay this amount? If yes, I don’t see a reason not to sell. You need money, they want your paintings.

Davkin

I personally like the sq./in. method for pricing but on a sliding scale, meaning smaller sizes are more per sq. in. than larger sizes. I don’t think anybody can tell you exactly what your paintings are worth, just be careful not to price them so low you resent selling them at that price, even to family and friends. Don’t feel bad if family and friends won’t pay the price you think your paintings are worth, generally speaking family and friends will think you will give them an extra deep discount or paint for free, don’t fall for that trap unless you are not really interested in developing an art business and just want to do this is a hobby for fun, because once you start selling for dirt cheap they’ll always expect you to sell for dirt cheap.

David

Just Scott

Sour Cherry:
                    So far one friend said “your other friends wouldn’t pay $160 for that…the price is too high”. But then she doesn’t like abstract art. Doesn’t understand it.

Just Scott

Davkin:

I do think that because they’re friends, they do expect me to give them a discount or to give it away for nothing. The materials’ total may be $10, but that’s just for a blank canvas and some paint. The feelings, emotions, methods and the ideas I come up with, that has to account for something more, monetarily-wise. I know, tough to put a price on that.

Also, as of right now, this is just a hobby. Something to do other than watching tv, surfing internet or doing nothing. I don’t see myself opening a business or gallery right now.

Thanks for your input and advice.

Oh, one other question, how do you feel about photo prints of one’s artwork? A friend at work said she’d buy an 8×10 of one of my paintings. I photographed all of my paintings and put them in a presentation binder.

Davkin

First, ask yourself if this will always be a hobby or if you want to make a business out of it. If it will only be a hobby then just give them away if you want, or sell for whatever lame price your friends are willing to pay. If you want to make a business out of it then look at it like a business. Decide what price you would charge a total stranger, someone who really does want to buy your art, your ideal customer. Make a price list of full retail prices and hold to them. If you want to offer a 10% or 20% discount to friends or family that’s okay, even galleries will make discounts for good clients. BTW, if you have work in a gallery your private sale price should be the same as the gallery price otherwise you risk losing your relationship with that gallery and may find it hard to get accepted by others if word gets out.

As for prints, again it’s the same advice, decide first off whether you want this to always be a hobby or if you want to make a business out of it. If the former, print something out on your home inkjet and give it to her. If the latter, have a fine art quality print (Giclee) made by a reputable service and charge accordingly. This is a good example of why I choose to use a sliding scale for pricing my art even though I’m new to this myself. I offer prints via FAA, someone would have to pay about $27 to buy an 8×10 of one of my paintings on FAA, now it wouldn’t make sense if they could buy an original for just a few bucks more would it?

David

Mike L

Without seeing your work a good/fair price for your canvases may not be forthcoming here. Would you pay those prices for your pieces?

That said, what is your time worth? If you’ve ever worked for a wage or salary you should have a good starting point for that.

If a friend or relative expressed an interest in any of my work I’d offer it to them for free. But that’s me – I don’t have a lot of family or friends. If they insisted on paying I’d ask ’em to donate the price to The Salvation Army or other charitable organization.

One of the most important points so many buyers/sellers of anything seem to miss is that business is a two way street. The price has to be fair to both parties.:thumbsup:

Just my thoughts. :eek:

R/Mike

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

This is one of the best articles I’ve read on the subject of pricing, and really helped me to solidify my own prices and be able to ask them more confidently. :)

http://theabundantartist.com/5-art-pricing-lessons/

Mike L

This is one of the best articles I’ve read on the subject of pricing, and really helped me to solidify my own prices and be able to ask them more confidently. :)

[url]http://theabundantartist.com/5-art-pricing-lessons/[/url]

That is an interesting and thought provoking article, but so are a thousand others that say the same thing. And none of them say a thing about how to set a price on a piece of work. If an artist doesn’t include the cost of materials, overhead, and the cost of her/his time, the best he/she can do is ask the potential client what they’re willing to pay and accept it.

A lot goes into figuring out what to ask for a painting, but in the end it boils down simple arithmetic: Direct costs (items that are used for that painting only such as canvas) + indirect costs (paint, brushes and other materials whose costs can be spread over a number of paintings) + overhead (rent, insurance, utilities, etc – again, spread over time) + labor rate (ALL labor costs -hourly wage, health insurance, and more). Once you have those in hand, you know where to start your pricing structure. Until you have them in hand you are cheating yourself or your clients. People will pay a fair price, but no more and usually not less, for art.

R/Mike

LilliCC

That is a wonderful article! Never thought of it that way… FELT it, but wasn’t sure why?

Excellent! Thank you!

:clap:

This "EARTH" without "ART" is just "EH"?

falcon012

Simple, you charge a price that neither party will feel taken advantage of. If you cannot come to agreement then do not sell the work. You will find there are a lot of folks who “talk” about buying your work- friends included. When it comes time to actually spending money it is another story. Friends are not a good source of income. I had one friend who commissioned me to do a portrait of their dog who passed away. We agreed on a price up front. When I finished the work he had the nerve to haggle me down in price. That is the last time I did commission work for a friend.

it’sALLart

A few of my friends have often bought work from me. But I usually sell it through my shows when they come to see the work in an exhibition. They pay the full price that is listed at the show. One has commissioned me a few times for pieces for his house.

Selling work to friends can be a tricky area to get into, but as long as both parties respect each other and there is a perceived value to the work that both can agree on, it can be an equitable situation for all concerned.

If a friend is haggling you down on your price, what kind of “friend” is that? In that situation, the person swiftly moves from friend to acquaintance in my book and the price stands firm. They either like the work and want to own it or they don’t. It’s as simple as that. When they use the friendship as a way to get a discount, it cheapens the friendship, not the art.

That is an interesting and thought provoking article, but so are a thousand others that say the same thing. And none of them say a thing about how to set a price on a piece of work. If an artist doesn’t include the cost of materials, overhead, and the cost of her/his time, the best he/she can do is ask the potential client what they’re willing to pay and accept it.

A lot goes into figuring out what to ask for a painting, but in the end it boils down simple arithmetic: Direct costs (items that are used for that painting only such as canvas) + indirect costs (paint, brushes and other materials whose costs can be spread over a number of paintings) + overhead (rent, insurance, utilities, etc – again, spread over time) + labor rate (ALL labor costs -hourly wage, health insurance, and more). Once you have those in hand, you know where to start your pricing structure. Until you have them in hand you are cheating yourself or your clients. People will pay a fair price, but no more and usually not less, for art.

R/Mike

I found the article very useful in deciding on my own prices to set. Attempting to figure out cost of materials + time + business expenses, etc, never really worked out for me. I don’t think there is any single ‘right” way to do anything, including pricing art, but what worked for me was to set prices that I felt reflected the quality of my work, made me feel that I was not underselling myself (which I’ve done in the past), and were in the range of what my ideal customer would be willing to pay.

In regards to selling to friends in general, I would say either stay away from it or else determine beforehand that you will set your fees and STICK BY THEM. The temptation to give ridiculous discounts to friends is very strong, and unless you have already set your prices and determined to not haggle, then you’ll likely end up coming out of that deal disappointed and feeling like you’ve cheated yourself. Also, you can likely expect that most of the friends expressing interest in purchasing your art will not actually follow through.

Mike L

…Attempting to figure out cost of materials + time + business expenses, etc, never really worked out for me.

There’s an excellent chance you’re losing money. Those who don’t or can’t figure their costs might consider paying someone else to do it, especially those who want to make art their livelihood.

Of course, I might be blinded to the specifics of the article that help ya’ll figure out what to charge for your art. Care to enlighten me?

R/Mike

Yombie

Do you have any of your work uploaded on to wet canvas or otherwise? I would love to check out some of your work.

—-

Generally, I feel as though you should be compensated for your overhead, time, and efforts but into any given piece. But that is just an ideal scenario which isn’t always the situation.

An artist I looked up to said he charges: (materials x 2) + Time spent x his rate (which was 20$). You count each colour and each brush you picked up to make it as the full price of materials.

Some other artists charge by square inch, which can be more fair if the time spent on a piece pushed the price to ridiculous prices.

If family or close friends want to purchase your work then make sure to cover the cost of materials and then give them a discount of which you don’t feel cheated by, based on what you’d normally charge others.

But as for right and wrong… the only correct price is where you feel compensated, and they don’t feel cheated.

—–

This was a good thread which also spoke about the difference in pricing between outsider artists and ones with formal teaching/degrees.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382491&highlight=outsider

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Friends want to buy my work. Prices??’ is closed to new replies.