WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2017, 06:18 PM

Thumbs up Do you know good up to date anatomy for artists resources?

I really want to paint the figure beautifully so Iím going to bit the bullet and learn human anatomy for artists. Does anyone know any good resources for this?
I know there are some very old dry books where you copy the drawings, bridgeman etc. Does anyone know of any good online resources or more up to date resources to learn what I need?

Thank you!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2017, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast
West Indies / Caribbean

Re: Do you know good up to date anatomy for artists resources?

Normally you have to study anatomy in 3 hr classes.
The model either takes up a pose for a week or month.
It is the sustained pose that gives you the practice you are asking about,

Check and see if one of the Gammell based Ateliers are near you.

And the starchy old book you are looking for is the -

Artistic Anatomy ---- Hale / Richer

With a doses of the Bargue Drawings.

The drawing technique would be called ------- Sight Size.
Good Luck
Titanium

* I studied at the Studio Cecil-Graves back in the early 80's
Now called, Studio Cecil and The Florence Academy - Florence
Italy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2017, 10:31 AM

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Do you know good up to date anatomy for artists resources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpriceart
I really want to paint the figure beautifully so Iím going to bit the bullet and learn human anatomy for artists. Does anyone know any good resources for this?
I know there are some very old dry books where you copy the drawings, bridgeman etc. Does anyone know of any good online resources or more up to date resources to learn what I need?

Thank you!

My apologies this is so late after your question - try www.posespace.com

I have been able to download a number of pdf books with numerous photographs of posing models. It is material intended for artists to use as the basis for their work.

From the bookstore - my own view of good references are;
V Perard - 'anatomy and drawing. and V L Winslow 'Classic human anatomy in motion'

To draw the head a good place to start is Hogarth 'drawing the human head'.

I have a load of other books on portraits and human figures / anatomy but these three are a useful starting point.

There is old stuff that is very good and free off the Internet - look for Loomis - several of his books are there and though dated images, the principles are well explained.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 03:15 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Do you know good up to date anatomy for artists resources?

I've never taken Proko's courses, but they look well done and might be something along the lines that you are looking for. Here's the youtube intro to his Anatomy for Artists; the premium courses will cost you a bit of money, but he's also put up free versions that are less intensive. Click on his name under the video to get a list of what's available.

Cheers;
Chris
Look for yourself, think for yourself, draw your own conclusions. Then own them.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Lord of the Arts

I'm not against knowledge but I think that cameras capture the figure well without knowing anatomy. I think that sometimes a knowledge of anatomy can cause an artist to draw what he or she knows rather than what is seen visually. Anatomy should be used to double check ones observations but not to replace what is observed.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 08:24 AM

I think a basic knowledge of anatomy is essential when drawing a figure, especially when working from photographs. It defines what is causing the shadows. I have various digital anatomical models which can be revolved and which can be layered with muscle structure or stripped down to the basic skeleton. I couldnt begin to draw a skeleton without reference but at least I know which bones are close to the surface
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Here's an excellent online source: http://www.proko.com/
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 07:07 AM

Sorry, I meant to list this on my last post, the programme is anatronica, there are two versions, one male the other female. Its on various platforms including windows and android

https://anatomy-3d-anatronica.soft112.com/
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 09:55 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymspitz
I'm not against knowledge but I think that cameras capture the figure well without knowing anatomy. I think that sometimes a knowledge of anatomy can cause an artist to draw what he or she knows rather than what is seen visually. Anatomy should be used to double check ones observations but not to replace what is observed.

I am the absolute opposite of this. I feel that you produce a better piece of art if you actually know what is going on under the skin. As a sculptor (myself), I would look more into ecorche. I have seen so many inaccurate drawings/paintings where the artist has no idea about what the muscle is doing and only "guesses" by what is happening (they think) on the surface. So many get lost in the shadows, not having a clue what is happening in the unlit areas. This is especially true if you are using photography as a source. Observation is fine and dandy but I consider that knowledge is also needed. Obviously, you do not need to know it all, which is why you have "artist's" anatomy, which is inferior to "doctor's" anatomy.

I also feel that if you plan to draw any kind of animals down the road, you should also do some comparative vertebrate anatomy.

Making art since 1973-ish.