WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Aviation Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2017, 01:02 AM

Re: who else builds model kits ??

That's an impressive collection. I've got a couple of Airfix kits that I got recently, but haven't assembled yet.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast
Ottawa Ontario

Hails from Canada

Looks like a beautiful collection there. I do want to register a complaint though that you have two Voodoos and neither is Canadian! That red cheat line we put on them just fits the plane to its T tail.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2017, 12:09 AM
Wheeling, IL

Hails from United States

I build many models... Planes, ships, armor, spacecraft, even classic '50s cars!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock15
Looks like a beautiful collection there. I do want to register a complaint though that you have two Voodoos and neither is Canadian! That red cheat line we put on them just fits the plane to its T tail.

You have good eyesight!

The 101-A is a Revell kit published before I was born and it comes with USAF markings etched into the surface, an American chap I contacted about them said the kit is based on the prototype. I am not sure it is actually 1:72 scale. Its the oldest model I have - I built it when I was nine (1963 AD). I recently acquired another one of the same kit - still in its box.

The 101-C is the Hasegawa kit, its a bit distorted but a nice model, the real aircraft must have been huge for a single seater.

Revell recently published a 101-B which I think was the version used by Canada. However, when I build it I intend to keep my version south of the border.

Interestingly the rotating missile bay concept below the nose of the 101-B was taken and applied to the early Buccaneer (I cite Kev Darling on that historical factoid).
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast
Ottawa Ontario

Hails from Canada

The comment on the rotary door sparked some curiosity for me. It looks like their development was nearly enough simultaneous to remove that possibility. It does look like there were previous aircraft on both sides of the pond designed with that feature. One post I saw even indicated that there was such a design in the UK in 1937!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2017, 02:04 AM

Quote:
The comment on the rotary door sparked some curiosity for me. It looks like their development was nearly enough simultaneous to remove that possibility. It does look like there were previous aircraft on both sides of the pond designed with that feature. One post I saw even indicated that there was such a design in the UK in 1937!

I cannot claim to be an expert on the history - Its just a passing interest I have in aircraft development. Darling in his book (Crowood aviation series) on the Buccaneer claims that the rotating bay door was already in the Martin B-57 and the F-101.

I must admit it puzzled me for a long time because I could not figure out where on my Revell F-101A there could possibly be a bomb bay! Eventually I came across the F-101B and all became clear.

The door had to rotate because conventional doors would interfere with the air flow. The original design also required the rotated open door to be lowered on a rack and pinion so that a device called 'green cheese' could be released. But both the rack and pinion bit and 'green cheese' did not come to be.

I went to Farnborough Tech. and spend most of my days there watching a Buccaneer repeating circuits over the top of us - the same machine later turned up near where I live in Cape Town - still flying!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2017, 03:02 AM

Quote:

I did a bit more reading on this - lovely to be on leave and have the time .

According to Ronald Easley in a Schiffer published book 'The F-101 Voodoo' the rotary door was devised in 1957 and there were live test firing trials in progress in 1958. Kev Darling describes the tests with the Buccaneer taking place in 1963. However, I did not find mention in Darling's book of the date when the decision to install the rotary door on the Buccaneer was made and designed for. In the case of both aircraft, modifications to address turbulence were required because of the rotating door arrangement.

On a lighter note - Whilst the Buccaneer was going to use its door to launch 'Green Cheese', the Voodoo door was designed to hold "a pair of MB-1 Ding Dong rockets"!