Home Forums Explore Media Airbrush "Master" Airbrush Artist

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    "Cisco"

I posted this on a blog. i am posting this one here to hear what people have to say (im sure its going to hurt some peoples feelings but oh well sometimes the truth hurts!):

“Master” Airbrush artist
        “I have been reading a few mags lately and noticed that a lot of people throw around the words Master Airbrush Artist. And when i see the work it’s stenciled! Now i know there is a few people who would highly disagree about what I’m going to say but OH WELL! If you stencil your work you are NOT a “Master” Airbrush Artist!!!!!! I don’t care who you name or who you are and how you try to justify the fact that it is necessary to do it at times. If you are a “master” you don’t need to stencil. This term has been thrown out so much that it does not even have any merit anymore. Now don’t get me wrong i dig ALL good art work stenciled or not (i even have a couple of artist work i collect that stencil) but that term should not be used on you if you use ANYTHING other than a airbrush to paint with. Does a Samurai study for decades how to use a sword then pull out a 9mm to say he is a master samurai swordsman?! HELL NO!
        Freehand airbrush takes YEARS to master and very few can truly say they are one!”

I got a really good comment about this from a engraver but i dont know if i can post it without his permission so i wont. but i am sure this might start some heated discussions but that’s what this forum handles too correct?

MIG17

Quit reading those rags- The information they offer isn’t worth the paper its printed on.

Steve

OilyRag

Hahaha….Hi Cisco, I posted on a site…could be here where I said that I do not like masking or stenciling and I will do anything to avoid it. Well was I berated over the fact that I said that I dont use or like masking or stenciling….probably from those “Airbrushers” that dont have the ability to do freehad airbrushing.

I dont see or read airbrushing mags much, but I have seen some where I have said to myself “They have got to be kidding, how did they get their airbrushing intio a mag when it is soooo bad?” Some of the airbrushing that you see in some magazines are so bad that is an embarassement to the art of airbrushing.

Funny thing….I seen an airbrush “Artists” web site the other day and I wrote him a message say that his work was terrible or something like that and I could not see how he could charge people for work that bad….he responded back saying that I was talking Sh*t and that I should send him some pics of the Sh*t that I have airbrushed. I sent him a dozen pics and I have not heard back from him since!!! “It was a pity because I could have told him everywhere he was going wrong”

Does a Samurai study for decades how to use a sword then pull out a 9mm to say he is a master samurai swordsman?! HELL NO!

Sure he does, when he has dropped his sword:wink2:

Raggy

slaterza

if you use ANYTHING other than a airbrush to paint with.

I was with you till this part Cisco I agree that the term is way too loosely used but I know some people that I would call Master Airbrush artist that use the airbrush for most of their work but they are not afraid to use other tools to help get special textures or to achieve different effects. These people are perfectly able to paint with just the airbrush but are not afraid to use other tools to enhance their airbrushing skills as well. I think we can get too strict with our terminology the other direction as well. A Samari Warrior is skilled at the sword but he also knows how to use other weapons to more effectively do his job.

toolman

I’d agree with you. To be called a master of anything should require a knowledge and or skills test. A guy posted on another site and called himself a master airbrusher. Everyone jumped on his case becuase he used stencles.

A person in europe pointed out that in europe the term master mearly meant compentent. So he was really a compentent airbrush artist.

Makes sence to me, but not sure this is true or not.

Jerry

Steve Orin

Its very easy to come to an opinion when its based upon a relatively short experience… And “kids” often fight vehemently to protect their faulty opinions.
                            There are many reasons to do work in various ways, at different levels of complexity, image quality, etc. Especially once the artist gets out of the hobby level & becomes a “pro”. I call myself a “paint hore”… misspelled intentionally, of course. I can paint at very, very high levels but rarely do so… No call for it. And sence I paint ALL the time I almost never do it for fun, at the levels I prefer. Also, its plain ol’ WORK to constantly strive for greatness after eons of such. Left that behind in my 30s & 40s.
                            Also, consider that the stencil, or shield look is one often sought by painters & customers… Cuz they like it. Hey, different flavors… IDIC.
                            Note that the posts are showing emotional elements I thought not allowed on WC! Something to ponder… & not get our pet “moberater” in trubbs.

Steve Orin

But please don’t tell Craig F. I supported the stencil look… He’ld never let me forget it.

"Cisco"

These people are perfectly able to paint with just the airbrush but are not afraid to use other tools to enhance their airbrushing skills as well.

See that’s what I’m talking about. If you were capable of creating something freehand you would have no reason to stencil! Hand Alberto Ponno a hairy brush and some frisket throw in some color pencils tell him to create a Airbrush painting….. He will laugh in your face! He will tell you you can create anything with the airbrush. its just depending on your skill level. Again don’t get me wrong i fully understand using other mediums to create a painting (that’s part of art) but there is a distinct difference between a fully freehand painting and a mixed media painting.. that is also the difference between a Master airbrush artist and a master painter. doyouknowwhatimsaying? Again don’t get me wrong i LOVE all artwork stenciled or not what i am saying to fully “Master” the airbrush you do not need to stencil or use other mediums because you can paint it with just the airbrush. Now i know the next thing said might be “well i can do that but i choose not to” and the thing is most likely when they say that they really can’t freehand airbrush because if you could you wouldn’t use other mediums! I was fortunate enough to be taught by some of the best artist in the world, and when i told them i do not know how to stencil EVERYONE of them said “DON’T LEARN HOW TO!” (some of them use stenciles too)
                                    I hope this does not get interprited as arrogant and i also hope airbrush artist still learning are not discouraged or intimidated by what im saying its just i am finally fed up with the misuse of the term. If you use stencils to achieve something, cool but if you are feehanding it, Great! The airbrush can mimic anything that is handbrushed,drawn,textured or anything for that matter. It just takes time and skill. I dont think the bar should be lowered so some artist can feel better about themselves are to exploite the term for personal gain.

slaterza

I still think that this is a semantic thing. Even Alberto Ponno who I have the utmost respect for uses tools that others would say are a crutch like you are saying here. Alberto is an incredible airbrush artist but many would feel that because he projects everything and then copies that projected image makes him a copiest rather an artist. I vehemently disagree just like I have to say here the fact that they are taking a shortcut using a hairy brush stencil or colored pencil shouldn’t mean that we automatically reject that they are a master airbrush artist I do not think for some that they could not solely use the airbrush to create their art but have because of tight deadlines and pressure to create in faster turn around times have opted for methods that take less time. I think the only way to make these kind of judgments as to who is a master artist or master airbrush artist would be some sort of standardized skills test like many other professions have but I am just not sure you could ever get artist to take such test as they are generally too independent in their thinking and this debate has been going on for centuries in the field of art with out much result. I do get what you are saying and again I do not disagree with the premise of what you said I too feel this term is loosely used and should be reserved but I am not sure it is not still a matter of semantics in some cases.

albertoponno

ciao guys,I saw this discussion and I’m agree with sam.I think that to use stencil and to obtain a good result it’s rally hard than to work free hand .The important for me it’s the result .If you don’t distinguish in a painting ,the part made by stencils from those made free hand,this is a good job.I never learned to use masks,so I think is really hard eh eh eh.Another think I want to say.I don’t believe myself an artist,never sayd it.I think to be a craftsman with a fairly good artistic sense to fuse some image.
                                            ok ,good year to all my friend
                                            alberto

"Cisco"

Ciao Papa! Glad you wrote on here!.
                                                I understand what you are saying about the photo realism Slatz. The airbrush is a tool to create a painting. I’m 99% sure all photo realist use projectors to paint. My point is the mastery of the tool to create that painting (photo realism is a whole other different discussion we will talk about that too). Creating a hard line to look stenciled takes practice and to a certain degree talent. to use that same tool to create a soft line with no over spray also takes practice and talent. Alberto has “Mastered” the entire use of the airbrush tool and he does it without stenciles or any other medium to create a painting. I have yet to find anyone in the Americas that do this with his precision (there are some really, really good artist out here but i just don’t see that type of quality). I am also not talking about making deadlines and the quickness of a stencile (personally i cant see it being much quicker than freehanding) I am saying Being able to have that tool create a Hard line like a car ,to soft fur without the use of some other type of medium is what should constitute as a complete mastery of that tool not “well i can but…. the stencile makes more sense to use” type of excuse. I am not trying to slam anyone or talking down to anyone either its just if you want to call yourself or be considered a “Master” Airbrush artist then do as a “Master” Airbrush artist should and would. Now as far as photo-realism goes its a slippery slope hahahaha! the best i can describe it is the total and complete lack of imagination but the total and complete mastery of disipline and consintration. There are several ways to create a photo realistic painting and when done correctly WOW They are mind blowing! And to be quite honest there are very few that can deliver a true photo realistic look. Photo realist are a completely different breed of artist (i personally think its a art form even though some argue it is not). I mean 1 painting can take 600+ hours! the dedication is second to none! The other thing i believe is that its not the “Highest” form of art either because it does lack imagination and to a certain degree, creativity. But its obviously a Highley respected art form especially among airbrush artist. I studied with “Papa” Ponno for this too because i have such a deep respect for photo realism (and for his work. so even though Papa u dont consider yourself an artist, You are the best Airbrush ARTIST EVER!). I use the techniques to improve my art and i do create “some-what” photo realistic paintings but i just dont have the nearly unlimited time it takes to create a true “Photo Realistic” painting (the tailgate i posted took me 45 hours total time to complete). And as far as how you should be considered a “Master” airbrush artist is pretty simple…. Take a good hard look at your work and make a completely honest critique of it. Just be honest with yourself. did you use that tool to create the entire painting without the help of another medium? And does that painting show the complete mastery of that tool? That and when an entire “community” tells you “Yes you are a true Master of the Airbrush Art Form”

Steve Orin

Alberto… Your spelling’s worse than my alter ego’s!

pinups

Hello all I thought I would throw my 2 cents in on this discussion. I haven’t posted here in a long time but I think this is an interesting topic. I have no formal training on the majority of my artist mediums including the airbrush and learned the majority of what I do through trial and error although I have had a few lessons in oil painting and yes I do watch Jerry Yarnell and did watch Bob Ross back in the day on PBS. There I admitted my shameful tv watching habits.
                                                        I both agree and disagree with the points made here on many levels. To call yourself a master airbrush artist in my honest opinion is conceited to say the least. If you have to render this honour on yourself to gain credability in what ever circles you run in to justify the fees that you charge for either your art or your lessons then it is just being conceited. I have always been my own harshest critic and I think that many artists share this trait. I may be happy when the public in general likes my artwork but I find the highest praise comes from fellow artists that enjoy the art that I have created. If they were to call me a Master Airbrush Artist then that would be justified. It won’t be happening to me anytime soon though as I paint mostly for my own enjoyment and sell the occaisional piece to support my own art habit.
                                                        To merely discredit the use of a stencil to distinguish the quality of an artist is misleading in my opinion. Many people have frowned on my usage of an airbrush as being beneath a true artist, but I consider it as a tool not unlike a pencil, eraser or paint brush. A stencil is essentially used to reproduce multiple copies of something where a shield or mask is typically just another tool to protect a surface and they are all just tools. I don’t always use a frisket or shields to paint and that is strictly dependant on the size of the work I am doing. I prefer a softer line to a harsh line and I find it looks more realistic.
                                                        I agree that the quality of some of the artwork published in some magazines is less then stellar in some cases but we all started somewhere and I still have a lot of my old work to keep me grounded. I express my disgust with these rags by not buying the issue if it is just a rehash of all the previous junk they have printed before. Very rarely do they have new information or techniques listed in these articles but typically have their core artists painting the same things over and over. I refuse to pander to the egos of the few artists that seemingly have the editor in their back pockets. I sometimes, but not always, like the art that they create but it seems like the majority is based around a new product that they either created or endorse or a new training dvd that they are trying to sell. I hear about the instructors listed at the Airbrush get aways as being in the elite circles but I have only seen a few rare lessons from one of them I believe. If they are good enough to be instructing at that level I would profess that they should be more then willing to share some of their knowledge in print prior to my shelling out $500 for a short course without ever seeing anything in print on them. To be fair though I have never bothered to google them for more information either.
                                                        I admire the works of many artists that work in various mediums regardless of whether they share their techniques with us or not. A short list of those whom I consider “Masters” would include Alberto Ponno, Hajime Sorayama, Olivia Debernardis, Alberto Vargas and Dru Blair. I thank Alberto in particular for his regularly stopping by to post here and I have seen the occasional post from Dru Blair in the past also. There are many artists that are not mentioned in this listing that deserve credit for their work also and I hope they don’t feel slighted for not being mentioned. There are some phenominal artists that regularly share their work here and deserve more praise then some of those that the monthly magazines have wasted dead trees on.
                                                        Thats my 2 cents worth. I am also sure that there are those who will not agree with me also and I am sure I may receive a few private messages again as I did the last time I responded to one of these style messages and explains my lack of postings here.

Les
                                                        http://pinup-artist.deviantart.com/
                                                        _______________________________________

Steve Orin

I no longer get an airbrush mag iether… Got tired of the ads concealed in stories, constant propping up of favorites, inferior data – often very wrong data! I found I could finish a whole issue in one sitting on the john! And I’m not prone to egg-hatching.

MIG17

Take a look at these-

This was done by a friend of mine- the airbrush he uses is one of those plastic craft hobby airbrushes, you know the ones I mean, single action, plastic everything. I was stunned when he showed it to me. Pretty humbling! He wouldn’t consider himself a “master airbrush” kinda guy, and neither would I, although he is really amazing.

Steve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.