WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Cheshire U.K.

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Stay Wet Palette

I have used plastic coated lining wallpaper (the type you can paint over) cut to suit the size of the palette in place of baking parchment
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2017, 01:13 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
Speaking of keeping thinks wet - I misplaced my beloved spray bottle and I can't find a replacement that has a super-fine spray that I want for painting.
Any suggestions appreciated.

A basic garden sprayer can be made to work. Turn the adjuster all the way off, then open gradually until it barely sprays. When you use it, step back a bit. The big droplets will mostly fall to the floor but the mist will drift over your palette or on to the painting surface. It goes without saying that you may need to protect the floor, but that's a common sense thing to do anyway.

Don't like that? Maybe try a perfume atomizer.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2017, 05:55 PM

Maybe scrape unwanted paint before it's dry with a plastic palette knife, and wipe the scrapings on a paper towel. Then the unwanted paint can dry, and be thrown away dry. (No need to wash wet or dry paint down the drain unnecesarily.) One advantage of the tear-off paper palette is that a sheet can be allowed to dry as is before disposal. And one sheet actually can last a while, and can be scraped with a plastic palette knife during use, although curling up is a problem, if kept in a plastic palette keeper box such as the Masterson box. The plastic overhead projecter sheets would solve that problem which would be very helpful. Thanks again for the tip.
Using a palette knife to scrape a single sheet of paper placed in a Masterson Painter's Pal box (yellow lid) is aided by adding a thin sheet of acrylic cut to size in the box under the paper, so the paper stays really flat. Dick Blick metal frames include such rigid-but-thin acrylic sheets, intended as glazing, which an Exacto knife cuts easily. As much as I like them, the Masterson boxes have weird curves and depressions related to the manufacturing process apparently, especially the largest-sized box. I wish the manufacturer would redesign the bottom of the largest box (blue or red lid) to be really flat and smooth.
The Holbein sprayer available many places, such as Dick Blick, is small and runs out of water quickly, but works well and produces a fine spray. So that's my two cents.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:08 AM

Thanks guys for the suggestions - I bought a lens cleaning kit at the dollar store It contained a cleaning cloth and a small pump-spray bottle that gives
a fine mist-fog - it could not be any finer without stripping of atoms. Just what I wanted.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 PM
Lord of the Arts

Surplus places such as American Science Surplus will often have small spray bottles (usually called atomizers). You usually need to buy "in bulk." A while back I bought five 2 oz bottles for $4. Enough to last me a lifetime!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2017, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by glengarry
DIY or store-bought: use distilled water to avoid mold growing on your paints. (tip I overheard from a Blick employee)

just boil the water before using and its enough. There will be far more mold spores in the atmosphere after that than in the water, destiled water will not keep free of spores when you touch it with a brush :P
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:59 AM

I use a spray bottle with a little laundry bleach in the water and spray a bit into my stay wet pallet when I finish for the day.

It keeps down the mold and I don't see any bad effects on the paint.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2017, 04:53 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfir
I use a spray bottle with a little laundry bleach in the water and spray a bit into my stay wet pallet when I finish for the day.

It keeps down the mold and I don't see any bad effects on the paint.

Fun fact: the paint contains small amounts of ammonia.