WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Art History Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 09:29 PM
Cochrane, Alberta Canada

Hails from Canada
J Roybal painting

Well Here is the painting the wife purchased, we need info on the artist if any one can help.
Thank you,
Dave Scammell

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 06:28 AM
Lord of the Arts
Paris

Hails from Canada
Possibly Joyce Roybal, born 1955. See artprice.com.

Also have a look at denisgervais.com. Maybe you could send them a request for further info on the artist?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 09:01 AM
A WC! Legend
the sunshine coast

Hails from United Kingdom
It seems quite difficult to find any real information on this artist.

As I'm sure you've found, most of the sites that come up when searching for this name are offering "hand painted original oil paintings". For example, here is a company offering "Museum-Quality oil paintings Hand-Painted by artists + Wholesale at the Lowest Trade Price !" J Roybal is on their list. By the way, be sure to scroll down to the About us button for a look at some of the artists. artonchina.com

I am wondering whether this artist was someone famous whose art is subsequently being copied (like Jack Vettriano or the impressionists, for example) or whether J Roybal describes a style of commercial painting.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 10:15 AM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by james.bishop
Possibly Joyce Roybal, born 1955. See artprice.com.

I think James nailed it on this. Female artist: Joyce Roybal.
I've seen links to her painting "Golfers" listed elsewhere on the web.

However, I have my doubts as to whether or not these are real original oil paintings at those extremely low prices listed on some sites. I do know of a technique of silk-screening images onto canvas and then doing a glazing technique over the screened image in order to replicate "brushstrokes"...in other words "buyer beware" this could be what's known as "factory art".
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 11:06 AM
A WC! Legend
the sunshine coast

Hails from United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by pinkrybns
I think James nailed it on this. Female artist: Joyce Roybal.
I've seen links to her painting "Golfers" listed elsewhere on the web.
There don't seem to be any images on that link and I tried searching on Joyce Roybal and got absolutely nothing. Is anyone subscribed to artprice.com?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 11:49 AM
Lord of the Arts
Paris

Hails from Canada
Curiouser and curiouser...

This source reckons J Roybal is male, American and living in LA...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by james.bishop
Curiouser and curiouser...

This source reckons J Roybal is male, American and living in LA...

Hmmm, interesting...

And the English grammar on that site is extremely poor:

"HE HAS NO INTEREST TO BE FAMOUS..." "... AND HIS WORKS OF ART IS WANTED BY MORE PEOPLE... "

Who knows?!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2008, 06:02 PM

Re: J Roybal painting

My understanding is that J Roybal is Brazilian. I bought a Roybal painting at an art auction and it is bright, colorful, and intense...much like the one above that someone was inquiring about.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2008, 11:50 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

The painting is in a style that has been endlessly imitated. I often see very similar paintings around here, in galleries, sold on sidewalks, hanging in restaurants and so on.

This will perhaps make it difficult to work out who the artist of this particular painting is. If he's anyone famous, surely he would have signed his work?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Florida

Hails from United States

Here's what I found...

J. ROYBAL

J Roybal is a multitalented artist who has been highly influenced by The work of Boulanger. His style of color and balance of characters in his paintings reflects a wide range of styles, ranging from musical statements of children learning to play instruments, to sports, involving children at play with polo and football, allowing his audience to capture a pure moment of innocence and celebration of being a child. His main theme
throughout his work underlines the essence of music and play, and the role it has throughout many of life's many encounters. At times his work is very textured giving it an old world feeling with a contemporary theme, while at other times his use of color is very graphic, going from muted tones to very bright and bold. Some refer to his images as "Puffy People".
Roybal began painting at the age of 18 and continued throughout his life in Italy, painting children at play in many of the towns and villages that he frequented. "Coming to the United States was quite and experience"
quotes Roybal, " Many of the towns and villages in Europe are quite different from the city scapes in the United States and the backdrop of the children at play has changed quite significantly." Roybal currently resides in
upstate New York where he continues his work surrounded by his three children and wife of 25 years. Roybal's paintings may be found in fine galleries throughout the United States and Europe as well as South America. "
------------------------------------------------
If you like Roybal then you might want to check out his inspiration:
Graciela Rodo Boulanger I looked up a site with a brief biography of her ---she is fairly famous and can be found inposter and print mediums as well as canvases.

It all sounds suspicious to me. Too many fakes and copies of the work.
-Spencer "Many believe - and I believe - that I have been designated for this work by God. In spite of my old age, I do not want to give it up; I work out of love for God and I put all my hope in Him." -Michelangelo

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 PM

I have 5 original signed oil paintings from J Roybal that I bought in the mid 1990's and was wondering if they really are worth some money. They are beautiful. I bought them from a starving artist party sometime around 1992-1995, they are on canvas.