Home Forums Explore Media Glass Art Let’s Talk Glass Technical Forum Building a Glory hole (info please)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DaveMatheson

I plan on Building myself a small glory hole and ive got many questions that i need answearing before i can go ahead.

first off i plan on useing an o2 acetylene Torch to power it, It should be enugh yes?
        what sise should the ID be?

also,

the firebrick- what type or mortor do you use to hold it in place?
        is there something outher then firebrick i can use, some type of cement i can cast in the shapes i want perhaps?

if so, do you know the name brand so i may serch for it XD

any outher usefull information would be good, thanks a bunch

er also, what could i make a crusable for melting glass from?

dave

Just starting out

drfrankie

Hey Dave,

Just Pm’d you.
            :clap:
            Tracey

jazzdog

I highly recommend you purchase the book titled “Glass Notes: A reference for the glass artist” by Henry Halem

It is an illustrated guide for building & maintaining a modern glass studio.

It will tell you everything you need to know.

BabsW

Search the archives for Mark Wilson. He has done it all and is a great resource.

glassfreek

Hi Dave

First of all acetylene will be to dirty for a glory and will just make all your glass muddy looking.go with a small squirrel cage blower and propain.
                        you can use 2 inch frax for the liner and heat ring for a small glory.No morter if you use brick,the bricks are cut in a wedge to fit the can tightly.You dont want to make your own crusable small ones are cheap 8lbr 10 bucks.this will help a bit http://www.joppaglass.com/burner/burnr2.html
                        for a small glory 5-6 inch hole the you need no burner head.you will want a 2inch heat ring on the glory,so for a 6 inch hole glory your can needs to be 14inchs round if you use 2 inchs of frax.Its better to cast the heat ring out of high temp castable.

Mike

DaveMatheson

dumb question but, is Frax the name brand?

whats frax made of anyways?
                            and whhere can i get it from(what is it normalyused for?)

Just starting out

Mark Wilson

this link is a bit dated. i have a stand up bench now and don’t use the table top bench any more. i also added a heated marver plate for picking up color. but you will get the basic idea from this link. frax is the same thing as fiber blanket, and has other names as sell. it is kind of like fiberglass insulation, except it is made wil ceramic fibers and not glass fibers. many people cast their glory hole liners fist castable insulation like castolite or irc2500. bricks take a long time to heat up or cool down so they are not a good choice for a weekend warrior. frax should only be used for an outdoor glory hole, and it needs to be rigidized with collidial alumina.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125011&highlight=outdoor+glassblowing

LFC

Mark, your home man glory hole is kicking!!! quick qusetion though, how hot can you get that thing with out ruining the fiber material? thanks in advance

Mike

Mark Wilson

i don’t have a pyrometer in it, i just let-r-rip. the glass is nice an runny so i would say that the glass is in the 2200F range. the flame is much hotter. i have been using this system for years with no issues. however, IT IS FOR OUTDOOR USE ONLY!!!!! if you want a glory hole or murphy fire bucket for inside use, i would make it out of castible refractory material.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.