WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States
Re: Restoration of mural in Aynor, SC

This is fun and I am living vicariously through your posts Ruth!
I love small towns and love the watermelon man's heart!
This is looking great!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States

Day 5 Friday, July 27, 2007

It was very humid today, fog thick over the corn fields early this morning. The Regulars showed up, and we were joined by Cheryl, the mayor's sister. Mayor Dawsey was brave enough to get up on the scaffold and wield a paint roller (yay!) ... it wasn't so bad, was it? Photos by Anita.

Right across the street is Ned's Famous Hamburger place, and every day we've been smelling the delicious aroma of fried onion rings, oooh. So today Anita and I stopped in on the way home, and got some. They were as good as they smelled!

Lots of people have come by to look, ask questions, tell stories, and give encouragement. I always say, "That doesn't look like paint clothes you're wearing," and they laugh and say they can't paint. There might be some brave souls to show up tomorrow, since it's Saturday.

The watermelon man's name is Mr. Hucks.

I must say again how great these volunteers are. This wall keeps getting bigger and bigger, but they're sticking with it and keeping a sense of humor. They all deserve a lot of admiration. Thanks, y'all!

Ruth
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2007, 06:51 PM

What a fantastic job you're doing!! Such a monumental task!! I'll be anxious to see it , wish I were there now you know I'd help you!!See you soon
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2007, 06:56 PM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

They do deserve a lot of admiration, but so do YOU, Ruth! If you hadn't agreed to take this project on, it might not be getting done at all, or worse, be getting done badly! So kudos to YOU for heading the project, and if I lived closer, you'd better believe I'd be in my painting clothes!

Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2007, 09:19 PM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States

What a great group of people to come and help! It's really coming along nicely.

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70L &other Lenses, Speedlite 580EX, Alien Bee's lights, with wireless triggers and soft boxes umbrellas.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

If the store manager of that Sherwin-Williams doesn't offer to contact his Company headquarters to help you out in return for publicity and bragging rights about their paint he deserves to be replaced. Many projects on historic homes are funded by corporate advertising, and this is a great opportunity for them. You may be surprised how eager corporate America is to "do a good deed" in return for advertising. You'll never know if you don't ask. I moved you to my favorites so I can keep up with your progress. You are doing a great thing!
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States

Day 6 Saturday, July 28, 2007

It was cool and cloudy this morning, pleasant until about mid-morning. Anita and I were the only ones there today. I've been working in the treetops and along the top of the train engine. Today I painted the brass bell. Here's a "before" closeup of that area, and a closer closeup of the bell, which still needs some work when I can get at it from a lower angle...

Before:

In progress:

The rest of the time was spent working along the bottom of the wall, the railroad track and the pink road. My camera battery died, so I'll recharge it tomorrow and get pictures Monday!

We're taking Sunday off, but will be back at it Monday. See you then!

Ruth

Last edited by Ruth : 07-28-2007 at 02:50 PM.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2007, 09:50 PM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

That bell is gorgeous, Ruth!

So it must be a challenge to paint over something someone else did and remain true to what they did? Are you painting transparently, or just carefully studying what you paint before you go over it, or are you kind of treating it like sections of color, like paint-by-number? Or are you just putting your own style into it? Regardless, it looks fantastic, just curious.

I'm also wondering regarding your wonderful volunteers. Are they Artists themselves? I keep wanting to take on some help every now and again (my sister or friends, non-artists who want to help), but I'm not really sure what to have them help with!

I must thank you again for sharing your progress on this... this is sooo cool to watch!

Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2007, 09:43 AM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States

Thanks Michele. The volunteers are not artists, but they are catching on quickly. The first day, I gave them a can of paint and a brush and told them exactly where to paint it. For example, Jay painted that whole road solid pink, and Gale painted the sides of the boxcars. The next day I showed them how to use two colors together, and they caught on to that. Anita was painting the areas between the railroad tracks and doing it better than I did. Next day they were getting the colors and mixing them, and showing each other how. I hardly had to come down from the treetops. I said that by next week they wouldn't even need me. Gale said "Don't even go there."

Michele, it is a challenge, especially since the mural has faded so much. There isn't a good clear color picture of the original mural, that anyone knows of. I have the original drawing, which is not in color. I thought I was getting dark enough colors, but I'm going to have to go back over it and make it much darker in places. I am using exterior latex paint which is definitely not transparent. I am completely painting over everything and using my own style and sense of color. However, there's enough of the original to use as a guide, and we're all being careful not to cover up any important lines. I will touch up the solid painted areas to add texture and light/shadow effects. Having it already blocked in with a base color saves me a lot of time.

The trickiest part is that when you're close enough to paint on it, you can't really tell what's what. There are places beneath the train where it's like looking at pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. It's hard to know what's part of the train and what's part of the background. If it's background, which part of the background is it?

Ruth

Last edited by Ruth : 07-29-2007 at 09:50 AM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2007, 12:04 AM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

Thanks for the insight and info, Ruth. It's so much fun to see this happen, I can't even tell you!

I had to laugh... I couldn't figure out where that "pink" road was, because on my monitor it looks orangey! I've been wondering about it since you posted about the onlookers being concerned about the "pink" road... I just figured it out when I looked back at that big orangey area! I had utter faith that it was an early stage, but it is weird to realize that not everyone can "see" the stages of a painting like we can.

Sounds very challenging. Thank you for sharing all around. I like to paint big, but that big, WOW. I can't even imagine. I'm wondering if any of the muralists who paint big all the time have tricks for seeing the whole picture while they're up on scaffolding and such. Seems I heard or read that Wyland has a remote camera hooked up to a monitor on his bucky or scaffold so he can see the whole thing... but he also has a HUGE budget

Looking forward to the next installment...

Michele

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States

Day 7, Monday, July 30, 2007

It was nice to have a day off. We were all back ready to get to work, but it started to rain before we had time to get much done. I was back up in the treetops...

and Anita was doing more on the road...

Jay, Gale, and Mayor Dawsey had just gotten started on the train, distant trees, and sky, when the rains came. We packed up and left in record time.

Hopefully tomorrow will be cooler and dryer!

Ruth
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States

This is beautiful, Ruth, and your tree tops look wonderful. It's very nice to have you part of DA again...we all love to watch you work!

I remember many of your murals from the early days when I first "met" you....I wish I could find them and pull them up...like the yellow brick shopping mall! And the nursing home with trompe door ornaments.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2007, 10:15 PM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

Bummer on the rain, but those are the best days to stop early because it's no one's fault! Hope you enjoyed, and can't wait to see the next installment!

I love the treetops. The way you do leaves and greenery, well, I don't have the words, love them!

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States

WOW Ruth, I'm not sure how I've missed this one so far but it's just wonderful. How neat to have all those helpers. It sounds like so much fun even tho its lots of work. It's looking so good. Hey Michele thanks for all the questions, I was wondering about the same things. I'm not so sure I'd have the confidence to know how to "train" people to help out. I admire you Ruth.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2007, 06:33 AM
Lord of the Arts
Ballina nsw Australia

Hails from Australia

[quote=panny_mouse] how to"train" people to help out. quote]

Peggy you cracked a funny!

Great work Ruth still wishin i was there