WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2009, 01:07 AM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States
Playing Around With My Own House...

OK, so I've decided to start doing some stuff at my house. Hey, I've only been here 6 YEARS, gimme a break!! I'm going to just post anything new I do in this thread, instead of starting new ones all the time as I do new projects...

So here's what I'm planning in my kitchen. This isn't the end result (unless hubby loves it!), but I'm liking it so far... I didn't use any mediums though, will probably be able to smooth things out on the next one. This is Nova Acrylics, using a 1/2 inch flat brush (yeah, I think I'll streamline for the rest!). I first sanded and then primed with an oil-based primer (Kilz) that is ok to coat with latex (I just found out that was even possible!). To be completely honest, I did NOT prepare this properly. I SHOULD have completely stripped the previous paint (that I did when I moved in, because I forgot to prime these 2 doors, so the paint was peeling off. But hey, if it fails, I'll just do it again. No charge! ). Oh, and notice I have a LOT of copper, so whatever I do it needs to look good with the copper. I was thinking of repainting the hardware copper, but I kinda like it black, too...? The counter kinda goes... but the floor will be getting redone, soon I hope!

Name:  Kitchen cabinet door design 1 rs.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  120.6 KB

This is what my kitchen looks like now, more or less. I'm over the green! I will paint the freezer, currently it has fabric attached with velcro to the bottom.

Name:  Kitchen w ivy overview rs.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  65.4 KB

And this is the wall I colorwashed a while back, not sure if I'll keep it green or not... thoughts? I will be painting that hutch, too... and hopefully finally refinishing that buffet (wood).

Name:  colorwash ov rs.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  137.0 KB

I am seeking advice, critique, suggestions, whatever. I'm a little worried that this will be too "busy", but I'm really liking the colors and don't know which one to settle on if I decide to do something very basic. I'll be doing something similar to this in my family room, which has dark leather furniture and red curtains (and currently the awful, dark ugly paneling), and this is one open space (kitchen and family room), so they need to "mesh well"... don't want to overdo anything.

Thanks!

Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals

Last edited by Autumnwillow : 04-03-2009 at 01:23 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2009, 01:18 AM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States
Re: Playing Around With My Own House...

Oh, and since this is my house thread, here are the other things I've done... not much, but a little...

The house before... yuk.

Name:  brown house before paint rs.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  148.5 KB

The house after, with some painted stonework that still isn't finished And yes, I painted the WHOLE house, except for the black trim, hubby did that. I hate base painting!!

Name:  Green house after paint rs.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  209.2 KB

Front door before...

Name:  front door before rs.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  53.8 KB

And after, copper metallics. I did the back door the same way.

Name:  front door after rs.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  68.1 KB

I started a couple of murals but never finished them and they are now slated for removal and a painting over... but I'll post what I do to them You know, it could be fun if others did their own "house threads" with stuff you've done using paint... hmmm....

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2009, 04:51 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Oh! Goody ... I am going to enjoy this I will watch with great interest as you do each project.
I love the new colour choice ... it will make the room so much lighter and brighter. Not sure about the black handles ... they look a bit strong for this colour but they worked great with the green. Maybe paint them in a colour you have in the leaves to bring it all together like in a painting.

You did a wonderful job on the house and doors and this is a great idea to put your home projects in one thread
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Saint Johns, Florida (north of St. Augustine)

Hails from United States

Good for you, Michele; it's so hard to put ourselves on the top of the list!
I really like the stone work on the outside of the house-better than real, I think and so much easier to keep clean.

The new colors on your kitchen cabinets are great. You will really brighten up the whole space. Love the counter space you have on top of your freezer. Since you are painting it, will you be making it look like a bank of cabinet doors? I think that would be cool-and do the top like the counter-you would never know it was there.

The green wash is nice-you have a lot of green dishes etc. so that ties it together. and I would say to paint the handles but you have black on your stove so you could keep that to sprinkle the black throughout the space. You also have a green house so that would flow through the whole house-good choices.

Did I say I really like the colors on your door? well, I just do!! they will really go well with the copper and your baskets.

Looking forward to more of this.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2009, 09:46 AM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

Thanks Chris, I was a little nervous that I was breaking a protocol, but then I realized this stuff IS decorative and faux and mural-y stuff I'll try not to bore ya!!

Barb, I was wondering what kind of suggestions I'd get... I was actually thinking of doing just that with the freezer! Actually, I thought about it yesterday, and felt so dumb that I hadn't thought of it sooner ! If I have my way, though, the top of the freezer will be fitted with a piece of copper sheeting (not sure how that's gonna go yet, but that's the vision), and I want to get some copper "tin" tiles for the backsplash (where the green "boards" and ivy are now). Not sure if the green dishes will stay, though I do love them, they're from the '20's according to my Grandmother...

(edited to add: I remember why I didn't think of painting the freezer sooner... hubby wouldn't let me! But he's warmed up to it, now that he's seen what I can do )

Still debating on the hardware... I may just buy something new and branchy, I've had my eye on some for a long time, just a matter of having the extra cash (what's that?)... I figure that'll be one of the last things I do.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Lord of the Arts
Rockville Maryland

Hails from United States

You did good ! What a transformation a little paint and imagination will do.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2009, 01:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Love the stonework - well done and a tremendous improvement, for sure!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2009, 02:32 PM
British Columbia, Canada

Hails from Canada

I love the stone work too! it must have taken awhile, looks great!, Your kitchen is wonderful, and using your freezer as counter space is genius
Hey...there is no snow in your yard must be nice!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast
North Carolina

Hails from United States

Those are wonderful! I have seen faux mahogany finishes painted on doors and other furniture that is incredibly real looking. In fact it looks better than the real thing because the artist can custom enhance the grain.

There was a woman my wife knew that bought and would ocassionally find junk furniture. She would fix it and then paint it with a beautiful design like you have done.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast
near Albany, NY

Hails from United States

I love the new cabinet design experiment. Those colors with the leaves are great! If you are worried about things becoming too busy, I find that a monochromatic scheme is the way to go, as it is generally soothing. It looks like that's kind of what you did before, but with greens. So if you do your walls in a sort of warm sandy tone or something, that would be nice.

I couldn't figure out what you were talking about with the freezer. I thought, "What freezer? I don't see any freezer." And then finally I see it! Well, I guess I am tired tonight!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2009, 05:58 PM
San Angelo TX

Hails from United States

Love the stone work and the door. Very inventive (and beautiful) solution.

Wow! that is a monster freezer It does give you an extra working surface though.

I had a friend who did a copper counter top on her kitchen island with copper sheeting. It was actually pretty easy, but you have to make sure to bend the copper over the edges and then press them down using a file to finishes the corners or they many cut you. She put some kind of sealer over her copper island so that it wouldn't patina, too.

Good luck, but I'm sure whatever you do will be beautiful Keep us posted!

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2009, 04:27 AM
Washington

Hails from United States

Michelle, I love the warm earthy colors on the cabinet and the stone work is fantastic! What a difference a little paint can make. The door is to die for! (I love copper) You are one talented women.
Mary
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States

Great so far! I think the lighter colors for the cabinets and walls will make a huge difference in the ambiance of the kitchen, and the K.I.S.S. rule always applies.

I've done a few things around my house, but won't show them. Seems like whenever I start something at home, I get busy with paying jobs and never get back to my own!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Lord of the Arts
Rockville Maryland

Hails from United States

Michele why would you be breaking protocal. Have you taken a trip through the capital in Williamsburg? Just about the entire interior is faux painted wood grain restoried to the original. I noticed it one day and for the rest of the day I studied the interior of the building.
My friend down in Zion Crossroads lives in a 1794 tavern with has been restoried and there is allot of original Faux showing and restoried. Because of the lack of wall paper many of the interiors of the well to do used Faux to enhanced their walls and trim. I have found original slate in old row homes in DC dating back to the early 1800's Faux painted to look like marble and if it was not for the dirt and scratches you would not be able to tell the difference. Slate is cold also. LOL
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2009, 05:55 PM
fair oaks, california

Hails from United States

What fun!... reminds me of a few wild and wonderful days of yore when I could get away with a little more than I can these days.

-nevadaron-