WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2006, 04:25 AM
The waste lands of kansas

Hails from United States
Smile Re: Painting with Pencil......WIP

Wow, I have never used blending before, ever. As i find it too hard on the paper, but brushes.... I like what you have done. I too have used pencils for ever.... you just inspired me to try something new......
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: Painting with Pencil......WIP

Thank you all so much!

The main flaw in using this paint brush blending method can be prevented to some degree. I quickly realized through brushing larger areas I became a crime scene investigator! Every fingerprint appeared and the work looked sloppy. Even if you are extremely careful about not touching the paper during the drawing process (which I always am), you must remember not to touch the paper or board at all before the drawing, if you can help it. Oils from your skin on paper can be a nightmare!

Oh well, just an observation from my "experiment" with blending.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

John Jones wrote:
[quote]Maybe you could do this same picture in your usual style and do some sort of pole to see what people think.
QUOTE]

I don't know that I want draw the exact same image again, but below is an example of my typical layering technique, using no blending on the skin.

Example One:

Example Two:

This piece was done in 2004. The main thing that stands out is the overall skin texture. Without blending, I have more control and the end result is ten times better in person, in my opinion. I stopped blending a few years back because I wanted kind of a reverse impressionism, if that makes any sense. I wanted textures to look more real the closer you looked at the drawing, as opposed to having to step further away to get a tight realistic image.

In the first image you can see where I blended the body with brushes and where I did less blending on the face, showing more natural skin texture.
My main concern with overblending in the first place was the overly-smooth results that made the work look impersonal and rushed, not to mention skin not looking like skin.

Example 3: The compromise?

On this piece, I used my typical tiny stroke, even layered approach but also used a homemade tortillon and blended lightly after two or three layers of skin texture. I then added more non blended layers above that. This gave me a smoother look but still allowed the texture to show on the surface and subtle blending allowed the shadows to merge softly. This drawing was done in 2005.
Note: Look at the skin texture on the shoulder, this couldn't be achieved through blending alone. Compare it to the paint brush blended drawing and it's night and day.

Example 4: Details without blending

This is an enlarged crop of a hand from an old drawing.

Perhaps all three examples can be "correct" depending on the application.

I'm sure I'm over thinking this! LOL!

Last edited by ArtMusicFilm : 07-06-2006 at 08:43 AM.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2006, 03:37 PM

Hails from United States

I will keep all of what you said in mind... As I start a new piece I imagine I will experiment with the brush technique very carefully, out of fear of messy up the time invested.... sure you can understand that.... lol
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2006, 07:51 PM
SOUTHEAST COAST

Hails from United States

I think you might be (overthinking it).
Sometimes we as artist seem to be picky with our work.
Then someone once told me that they never knew an artist that was satisfied with their work.
So I started looking at the things I missed after print as character and it got me motivated to sell and promote my work.
Your work is outstanting most definantly but this particular one lets others(non-artist) know that it is done in pencil Which makes them take a second look.
To give you an example I printed out (with the artist permission) a drawing that looked so real that you couldn't tell it was done in pencil.
I took it to several customers of mine and asked them what they thought of it without telling them that it was a drawing.
They all said "What a cute picture,are you going to draw this next?"
Then they was amazed after I told them what it was.
They all said they wouldn't buy this as a print because it looks like a photo.
Maybe I should start a thread on this.

Ponie-I can surely relate!
Thanks,
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2006, 09:12 PM
nyc

Hails from Armenia

Quote:
To give you an example I printed out (with the artist permission) a drawing that looked so real that you couldn't tell it was done in pencil.

You got my interest, John - where's the picture?

Denis
www.denispeterson.com
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie
I will keep all of what you said in mind... As I start a new piece I imagine I will experiment with the brush technique very carefully, out of fear of messy up the time invested.... sure you can understand that.... lol

I look forward to seeing how your experiment goes, please post a WIP if you wouldn't mind!

And John, I do tend to overthink and obsess about my technique (or lack there of, LOL!). And if I start talking "art" it's difficult to stop me at times.

Please start a new thread with your friend's drawing, as I too, would like to see it. Although I am not trying to be a "photorealist", I do love seeing someone who is able to blur the line between rendering and photography.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2006, 10:08 PM
nyc

Hails from Armenia

Paul, have you looked at colored pencils as well? I too, was drawing before I could say "baby hungry!" (Btw, your inventive brush technique is quite intriguing and I will be trying it soon, too.) I have always enjoyed pencil and its ability to create such infinite nuances of shading and light. Its probably what has attracted me to airbrushing and photorealism. But when it came to experimenting with colored pencil, I found it difficult to adjust to if attempting a whole drawing as I would with pencil. Its not the element of color, as my paintings depend on color for their form, as opposed to drawing. Perhaps its the wax, I just could not figure it out. PS Dennis Martin, also a favorite of mine as well is one of my site links (in the Illusions issue).

Quote:
Perhaps all three examples can be "correct" depending on the application.

PS I agree with your self-assessment, in that each piece has its own frame of reference as to the application of shading, etc. It was the first thing I noticed when I went onto your site...that even though they had different approaches, they all worked and stood individually on their own merit.

Cheers,

Denis
www.denispeterson.com
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2006, 10:40 PM

Hails from United States

I think I will post a WIP... As soon as I get back from Vegas...getting married
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis44
Paul, have you looked at colored pencils as well? I too, was drawing before I could say "baby hungry!" (Btw, your inventive brush technique is quite intriguing and I will be trying it soon, too.) I have always enjoyed pencil and its ability to create such infinite nuances of shading and light. Its probably what has attracted me to airbrushing and photorealism. But when it came to experimenting with colored pencil, I found it difficult to adjust to if attempting a whole drawing as I would with pencil. Its not the element of color, as my paintings depend on color for their form, as opposed to drawing. Perhaps its the wax, I just could not figure it out. PS Dennis Martin, also a favorite of mine as well is one of my site links (in the Illusions issue).

PS I agree with your self-assessment, in that each piece has its own frame of reference as to the application of shading, etc. It was the first thing I noticed when I went onto your site...that even though they had different approaches, they all worked and stood individually on their own merit.

Cheers,

Denis
www.denispeterson.com

Denis-
I used to do a lot of full color pieces using colored pencils, prismacolors, soft pastels, markers and acrylic paint. I need to get back to that someday! I would like to try airbrushing someday for some larger murals. Thanks for the kind words regarding the artwork on my site.

P.S. I am looking at your site now and your paintings are awe inspiring! Simply amazing!

Last edited by ArtMusicFilm : 07-07-2006 at 09:40 AM.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie
I think I will post a WIP... As soon as I get back from Vegas...getting married

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!
I will keep an eye out for your WIP!
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Montreal Quebec Canada

Hails from Canada

I've just discovered this technique last week and I really really want to try this. The brushes that you use - are they any particular type? Watercolor, Acrylic, flat-head, round-head, etc???

I find it made your picture really stand out. It's excellent work.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Brazil

Hails from Brazil

Paul,

I'm very impressed with your works!
They look so real... that I'm speechless... it's fabulous!

Congratulations!!!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thank you Wade and Juliana for the nice words!

Wade- The piece was done with brushes from Wal-Mart, just the cheap craft grade brushes. They were maybe $4 for a bag of 25 brushes, all different sizes. Here's a photo of the actual brushes used for this drawing-

Hope that helped!

I often wonder if my work would be any better if I could afford expensive materials and pencils. I often see people who use high-end technical pencils but for some reason I just can't see how it would change my drawings that much. Oh well, maybe someday I'll try those things. I do like experimenting!
I finally got a hold of a 16x20 cold press illustration board and I'm eager to use it on my next piece!

Last edited by ArtMusicFilm : 07-07-2006 at 01:18 PM.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Montreal Quebec Canada

Hails from Canada

Thank you for the tip...now I'm definately going to try this technique out! The results are amazing.