WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Illinois

Hails from United States
Question RE: Negative space

I wanted to know more about "negative space"? I had came across an article or a thread on WC, that was really explaining about how see the negative space while drawing? Of course, my computer crashed and I can't remember what forum I was in (Portrature or Drawing). if anyone knows where I can look, or knows a book or a good article on it, just let me know thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
A Floridian in Tennessee

Hails from United States
Re: Negative space

Hi Angie, I'm not aware of any articles on negative spaces and would like to know too, but to explain, you can first look at a photo in the link. All the green spaces between the horses legs are considered negative spaces. You can use these spaces or any space or shape that appears on the outside of a subject in different ways. You can put emphasis on the negaitve space in repetition like the horses legs. The light green triangles stand out from the darks, creating some interest and rhythm in the picture. Sometimes I use negative space to judge proportion in figure drawing. If a model has her hands resting on her hips, I recheck my drawing by comparing the triangle that appears inbetween as well as the arm itself. That's just a start. I hope you find more helpful info as well as your articles. I'm sure they are around on this site somewhere. It comes in handy when drawing!

Stoy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Illinois

Hails from United States

Thank you Stoy. That clears things up. angela
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 08:27 PM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

Angela - we are currently hearing a lot about negative space in the Basic 102 Class 5 - composition in one easy lesson if you want to look there.
www.anitamurphyart.com