WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Enthusiast
near Albany, NY

Hails from United States
wip Designer Showcase House

Here are a few pictures of one of the rooms that I was assigned this year for a Showhouse. This is the Master Bathroom and the pics are just a corner of the room. The whole room was gutted before I started work on it so it was a clean slate (thank goodness, as you can see from these before photos!) BEFORE: Lots and lots of pink tile EVERYWHERE

Old walls are history:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2006/56434-SH06_new_tub.JPG[/IMG]

New walls are a'coming!

I'm troweling on paint, getting my backdrop ready:

The base is now ready for a little ooh la la! The "Showhouse ladies" were a little concerned with my choice of art but I'm thinking that these sketches, based on those of Michaelangelo and Degas, have been around for public viewing for a few years already.

[IMG]More later!

Last edited by semper : 05-01-2006 at 11:23 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States
Re: wip Designer Showcase House

WOW, Betsy!
First of all, this is great! I like the feeling...very roman!
Second, I see the scaffolding top being used! You suggested that to me in another thread....
Third, I have never seen paint troweld on...tell me more about this process. And last, how do you stay so clean? My jeans are covered in paint (yes, I wipe on them). Hea, that can be a fun thread...will start one about what we wear....
I have missed you, Betsy!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2006, 12:30 AM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

Nuh-uh... I see a big ol' stripe painted down your leg...:P This looks really cool, such a fun theme for a bathroom!

I'm intersted in the tecnique, too... please share...?

I just bought 2 pair of clearance jeans from Wal Mart that have bleach splattered areas down the legs. I thought it looked like paint, so I figured I couldn't really make them any worse! Funny thing is, I find myself explaining to clients that I BOUGHT them that way...
Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2006, 02:19 AM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States

Betsy,

I have missed you too! Wow this project is just amazing! I have questions about the paint too, is it that palette art or is it a textured paint? It looks like it could be VP! What a HUGE impovement on that bathroom! Can't wait to see more!

Deb

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70L &other Lenses, Speedlite 580EX, Alien Bee's lights, with wireless triggers and soft boxes umbrellas.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Enthusiast
South Carolina

Hails from United States

O-h-h-h ... REALLY looking forward to seeing more! Your beginning is breath-taking! Need more details - Troweling paint????
Yeah - I missed ya too, where have ya been?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Illinois

Hails from United States

Wow, this looks great. Can't wait to see more wip pics. Are you using regular paint? I really like the effect.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast
near Albany, NY

Hails from United States

You girls are the best! Thank you so much for missing me . Things have been rough this past month with my spending most days at the Showhouse, juggling a few paying jobs and then spending most early mornings and nights helping my husband send out resumes. He lost his job the end of March and it's really putting a strain on things, in more ways than one. The computer has simultaneously been misbehaving, leaving me most of the time unable to post photos but at least I can usually see all of your work. Something is going right anyway!

I appreciate your opinions on the bathroom. It's done now, and opening day was today! I was there for a couple of hours and it looked like a full house and some nice comments. If any of you remember the metallic dining room that I posted pics of recently, this is the same technique with the trowel. Let me see if I can scare up a pic:

The only thing I did differently was that I didn't use a japan scraper, just a cheapy plastic trowel/spatula. This is just plain ol' paint, no texture at all. I started at the top with my lightest tone and worked my way down to the deepest brown. As I got to a section where I wanted one color to melt into the next, I double loaded the spatula with the 2 colors. Lastly, and this step was optional, I spatula-ed over it all with a metallic glaze. Some of the other artists working in the house really loved this addition, and some preferred it matte, the way it was. But I had envisioned it with metallic from the beginning and don't regret doing it. The end result in one that is reminiscent of venetian plaster but it's only paint!

Hopefully, I can download the newest pictures tonight or tomorrow without a computer explosion.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast
near Albany, NY

Hails from United States

Looking again, I see that the wall to the left in the bathroom photo has the metallic glaze on it - I double loaded the trowel with silver and a champagne - and the wall to the right is without the metallic glaze topcoat.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2006, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Boise, Idaho

Hails from United States

Wow Betsy, cool technique! I'll have to try troweling. I think the metallics make it look very classy, where as the matt looks a little more earthy and old world. I love the look of that dinind room too.

http://www.kevinallen.net/
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2006, 02:31 AM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States

I'm sorry to hear it's been a tough month! My husband just sold our business we have had for 16 plus years and started a new job 6 weeks ago, and he travels alot so it's kind of hard for me to get used to....but he really likes it...so It's going great...I guess. So, I'm sure the change will work out really good for you both! I really think things happen for a reason...sometimes we don't like it for a while but it always seems to work out!

Do you think you might have a virus or spyware? They will make your internet run really slow. I use weboot spy sweeper...think they have it at costco too! It seems to work really well! Good luck with the computer, boy they can be a real pain when they don't work!

Well said Kevin- I totally agree!

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70L &other Lenses, Speedlite 580EX, Alien Bee's lights, with wireless triggers and soft boxes umbrellas.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Illinois

Hails from United States

Thanks Betsy for the info. I'm gonna have to paly with that technique! Hmmm, lets see, which wall........
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast
Riverside, CA

Hails from United States

I love this technique and I have never heard of it or seen it. I think you have started something here, thanks for sharing. It turned out beautiful!!!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
Fort Worth, Texas

Hails from United States

What an absolutely awesome idea!!!! And, very beautiful too! (I will definately have to try this at some point)

But, I can't wait to see the finished bath with the figures in it. I just know it will be gorgeous!

Felica
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2006, 01:26 AM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States

Wow, Betsy!
I will have to try this too....it is exciting to learn somethig new!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Gonzales, Louisiana

Hails from United States

The style, technique, and theme just work perfect together! Great job!