WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2005, 11:12 PM

Hails from United States
Question Is there a way to make your own cheap dryer medium

Hi all, Haven't posted in a long time and never in this forum. I am fairly new to oil paints and i like to do everything myself.. ie, make my own mediums canvas, ect. I have been searching around for a recipe to make my own quick dry oil medium, you know 4-6 hrs instead of days.. Any help would be appreciated... I saw a post about popping it in the oven lol.. Canvas is too big.. Really hate paying top dollar for something i can make up myself
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2005, 02:39 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieohms
...i like to do everything myself.. ie, make my own... canvas...
You make your own canvas? How big's your loom?

Anyway, is there a way to make your own cheap dryer medium? Quick answer is yep, sure is. Do you have any philosophical problem with toxicity or health issues?

Longer answer: 4-6 hours with true oil paints is asking too much I'm afraid, not consistently at least.

Drying time is dependant on the nature of the original pigment(s), the type of oil used as a binder, how thickly you're painting, temperature and humidity, your support and its preparation and maybe some other factors so to get this kind of drying time as it is would be tricky (and would be very risky to the painting) and across the board is just not feasible.

If you paint thinly on a fairly absorbent ground, using lean paints and minimal medium, and prefer colours made from pigments that naturally make faster-drying oil paints you'll get pretty good drying speeds already without having to resort to added driers of any kind. If you want to include modern synthetic organic colours or traditional oily paints like Lamp Black, which don't dry quickly by themselves, glaze with much body or paint at all thickly and you want short drying times then oil paint is not the medium to be using.

Some people are just going to suggest you try alkyd medium, alkyds instead of true oil paints, or maybe even Genesis heat-set paints where you 'dry' them at will with a heat gun.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2005, 11:26 AM

Re: Is there a way to make your own cheap dryer medium

I think many of the established oil quick driers (like colbalt) have few, or only single, ingredients - so you'd still be paying about the same for the raw "secret" ingredient.

Also, any oil layer that dries in 4 hours will probably get sticky, gummy or skinned too soon in your brief painting session to really take advantage of the unique oil blending and manipulation techniques.

If overpainting over wet oil layers is the only concern, best bet is to buy, or whip up, some "thixotropic" medium (maroger, some alkyds formulas, etc.) that will will allow light overpainting w/o disturbing the underlayer much.

If quickly moving from wet blends to total, ready-to-hang drying is what you're after, then Genesis is for you.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2005, 11:28 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Palm Springs, CA

Hello Boogie, and welcome to the Oil Forum.

Einion is right that dry in 4-6 hours is unreasonable for oils, but niether do you have to wait for days.

Here are a couple of threads for your review:

Classic Oil Painting Mediums
Glazing Tutti Fruity

As already mentioned, so much depends on how you paint in the first place, and the nature of pigments themselves. Even if you give alkyds and other driers a whirl, it's important to keep in mind that you can't push the river - oils are what they are.

You might consider having several paintings going at a time so that while one is drying, you work on another. Or, since you favor a hands-on approach to your materials, you can be stretching/priming canvas, doing study sketches, imprimaturas, underpainting, etc., while waiting for your work to dry sufficiently.

cheers!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast
Auburn, Massachusetts, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieohms
Really hate paying top dollar for something i can make up myself
I've seen a lot of recipes for making your own art materials, but I've never come across one for making lead napthanate or cobalt linoleate.

But think about this. You can get enough siccative to last you for months for less than $10 US. The time, effort, and materials cost involved in learning to make your own siccative would be ridiculous compared to the cost of just buying a bottle of the stuff. If you want to economize on art materials by making your own, then your efforts would be most efficiently applied to other materials, such as grinding your own paint.

Visit my art blog
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

David Rourke may be a better authority on this, but I've found an egg & oil medium to dry very fast. Recently I've been experimenting with methylcellulose as well which dries to touch in a few hours. They're both extremely simple to mix yourself.

-DBC
My Blog