WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Fredrix Lead Primed Linen Panels

Has anyone seen the ads for the new lead primed linen panels by Fredrix? I think there is one one the back of the new The Artist's magazine, or maybe it was American Artist magazine. Anyways, the ad says that it is a lead white primer with rabbit skin glue sizing in linen wrapped around a hardboard panel. I know people have been looking for pre-stretched lead primed canvases for awhile and it looks like Fredrix has heard the call. They don't have anything on their website about them yet. Has anyone tried these yet?

Brian Firth

Last edited by Brian Firth : 10-10-2005 at 03:55 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Joshua Tree

Hails from United States
Re: Fredrix Lead Primed Linen Panels

If it's true, I'll be interested to see what their prices are like compared to all the other over priced varieties out there.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I did a little searching and found them at jerrysartarma.com, but they only sell them in packs of 12? They aren't outrageously priced. Here is the link:
http://jerrysartarama.com/art-supply-stores/online/5325

Hopefully local art stores will be selling them individually.

Brian Firth
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2005, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Joshua Tree

Hails from United States

For some stupid reason I can't get the jerrys site to come up on my computer at work, must be the firewall. But I see them on the aswexpress.com site. Cool the price is half that of most of the other brands.

The ones on the aswexpress.com site are linen on tempered hard board with acrylic titanium gesso primer, not lead. I'll check jerrys when I get home.

Thanks.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2005, 09:37 PM

Has anyone tried these panels? I noticed an add for them in Artist Magazine.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2005, 12:39 PM

Hails from United States

I bought one but have not painted on it yet. The oil primer is a dull light green (which I like) and the quality seems good. It is a med. texture linen. I also got one of the acryic gesso linen panes that looks decent too but I haven't painted anything on that yet either. I'll post again when I paint on them.

EDT- I will post an image of the pannel to give you a better idea of what they are when I get back to the studio.

Last edited by dirtballartist : 11-11-2005 at 12:45 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Firth
I did a little searching and found them at jerrysartarma.com, but they only sell them in packs of 12? They aren't outrageously priced. Here is the link:
http://jerrysartarama.com/art-supply-stores/online/5325

Hopefully local art stores will be selling them individually.

The description of the panels in your link say "oil primed," but don't mention anything about lead.

New York Central Art Supply carries lead primed linen. It's not too shabby, as preprimed linen goes.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2005, 11:46 PM

Hails from United States

Front to back: Source Tek Portrait Linen, Fredrix Oil Primed Linen, Fredrix Acrylic Primed Linen.

Not sure the texure will show at this res.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Surrey, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Do you know if these are available in the United Kingdom?

Brad
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2005, 06:39 PM

Code:
Originally posted by Robman The description of the panels in your link say "oil primed," but don't mention anything about lead.

Robman,

I found the following link which has a detailed description of the Fredrix Oil Primed Panels: http://www.arttalk.com/arttalkcomartistsmarketplace.htm

Here is an excert "...Next a fine preparation of old-world lead white is applied. Made from a carefully prepared mixture of lead whiting and linseed oil, this oil priming applied over the carefully prepared linen yields a surface prized by oil painters everywhere..."

Dirtballartist,

Thanks for the photos. Looks like a nice panel. I have used the acrylic linen panels and they are nice, but a little pricey. I see that the oil primed panels are even more expensive. I guess you get what you pay for though.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sketchpad1 : 11-13-2005 at 07:03 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchpad1
Robman,

I found the following link which has a detailed description of the Fredrix Oil Primed Panels: http://www.arttalk.com/arttalkcomartistsmarketplace.htm

Thanks Sketchpad. The poetic descriptions made me want to gag, but I'll give it a shot. I just hope they prime their panels better than they prime their acrylic gesso panels. Those things have terrible glaring and sparkling problems.

What's "Old World" lead white? Are they preparing their panels with lead white made from the stack method? Somehow I doubt that.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2005, 01:12 AM

I've used it. It's quite smooth and slick. Mine says acrylic-titanium primed. Didn't see any info about 'oil-primed' archival panels on Fredrix's website.

Fredrix claims it's archival probably because the panel core is tempered masonite (not the hardware store kind of 'tempered'--that's bad for painting). It sure is better than cardboard. The linen is fine, but Fredrix didn't provide any details on the package.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

I've used the acrylic primed linen panels from Fredrix. Far better than their "archival" cottom canvas panels, which seem to me poorly made and badly primed. And considering the linen panels aren't *that* much more expensive than their (seriously overpriced) archival canvas panels, they are a much better deal.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2005, 02:00 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
I'm curious, does anyone have any idea why these are a "dull light green" instead of the colour they should be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robman
Thanks Sketchpad. The poetic descriptions made me want to gag, but I'll give it a shot.
Ditto.

"And the finished painting exudes a rich, luxurious quality prized by knowledgeable buyers and collectors." Yeah, right <gack>

Quote:
Those things have terrible glaring and sparkling problems.
Too shiny? This is a common problem with commercial acrylic-primed boards, which I wouldn't want to paint on directly using acrylics much less oil paint.

Quote:
What's "Old World" lead white? Are they preparing their panels with lead white made from the stack method? Somehow I doubt that.
They probably mean that lead white is an old-world material, but since the copywriter (is this Fredrix's marketing spiel?) doesn't have a clue how to use hyphens we'll just have to guess; although it's just conceivable they don't mean basic lead carbonate I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutud
Fredrix claims it's archival probably because the panel core is tempered masonite (not the hardware store kind of 'tempered'--that's bad for painting).
Since it is extremely unlikely they manufacture the board themselves you'll probably find it is a bought-in commercial hardboard - just like from the lumber yard/hardware store.

There is quite a bit of debate about whether tempered or untempered is better in the long term and there are some knowledgeable professionals who specifically choose the tempered variety rather than untempered to paint on, although I prefer untempered myself.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2005, 09:57 AM

The new panels are on sale at Dick Blick and Jerry's Artarama, $60 for 12 8x10s.

I've read Richard Schmid's books on painting and he won't paint on anything but lead primed linen. A few months ago I ordered some lead-primed linen from Italian Art Store and it was wonderful....the colors just flowed. I've never seen such beautiful color. Italianartstore.com is a great source for oil painters. The house brands seem to be the best.

I am mainly a watercolor artist and am trying oils...so I don't have a lot of experience, but I can tell you that paintings painted on cotton acrylic primed canvas look dull and chaulky compared to anything on lead primed linen...